POLL: Which Bowl outcome would you prefer, a victory over Tulane in Cotton or a loss in Orange or Sugar?

Which Bowl outcome would you prefer, a victory over Tulane in Cotton or a loss in Orange or Sugar?

• victory over Tulane (or UCF) in Cotton Bowl

Votes: 190 88.8%
  • loss vs Clemson or Kansas State in Orange or Sugar Bowls

Votes: 24 11.2%

• Total voters

tennesseekilt

Given our, er, limitations with Milton at QB, would you prefer to get snubbed in bowl selection but go on for a decisive victory in the Cotton Bowl, or would you rather go to the Orange or Sugar Bowls even if it's a sure loss? The scenarios are defined as a certain victory in Cotton vs a lesser opponent or a certain loss in Orange or Sugar vs a more high-profile opponent.

I think we can all agree that even a beatdown in the playoffs would have been preferable to anything here, but this question is a bit more nuanced.

How about we go to the Orange or Sugar and win. Milton deserves far more credit than he is being given here.
Agree. Would be a better win and as much as I fear how we might play with Milton, I would rather take the shot at Clemson or K-State. A win over Clemson might help recruiting in the Carolina area.
I would not look forward to playing a Gus coached UCF team who could scheme against our defense as well as anyone. Admittedly I don't know anything about UCF or Tulane and how they would match up with UT.

who picked a loss?

8cf746b0-2c30-44bf-9374-a634eda473f1_text.gif

I believe all the whinging about Milton is silly.. I prefer we go to Sugar bowl or Orange period. The Poll is kind of skewed and silly.. A better poll is what bowl would we rather go to? If its guaranteed wed lose I'm not into that of course why would anyone? But setting that aside because there is no way to know. What I do know is id take Milton over the starters on Clemson, Kstate or Tulane any day.

We will beat whoever we play....unless they are wearing red. We have trouble with teams of the "red" uniforms. Beating Bama was special! Having the Music City Bowl and the Sugar Bowl at the same time...noon, on Friday Dec 31th or New Years Eve,....really blows. Cotton Bowl is at noon (CT) on Monday. Orange Bowl on Friday night before New Year's Eve would be my choice and hope we win that game. I do not think all the games are a lock yet. See you Sunday night. Again...win whatever opponent and bowl we draw.

I believe all the whinging about Milton is silly.. I prefer we go to Sugar bowl or Orange period. The Poll is kind of skewed and silly.. A better poll is what bowl would we rather go to? If its guaranteed wed lose I'm not into that of course why would anyone? But setting that aside because there is no way to know. What I do know is id take Milton over the starters on Clemson, Kstate or Tulane any day.

It is a really dumb poll with really dumb choices. No win or loss is guaranteed in any matchup.

Recruits care about wins. The fanbase cares about wins. It'd be cooler to beat a major program in the Sugar Bowl (and the players would probably prefer going to Miami over Dallas, but the difference between Orange and Cotton beyond that plus the chance to play a name brand school is negligible to me), but there's absolutely nothing wrong with going to the Cotton Bowl and beating the hell out of a G5 team.

A win over Clemson in Orange Bowl would be worth more than a win over UCF in Cotton.

A loss over UCF in Cotton would be a lot worse over a loss to Clemson in Orange.

my vote: play Orange Bowl (or Sugar)…. A lot more to win or significantly less to lose.

Last edited:
If these are the only options I'll take the win. Easier to sell winning the Cotton Bowl than it is losing the Sugar/Orange. But I want to play in the Sugar/Orange and let the chips fall where they may.

But with as many players as may be hurt or sitting out Tennessee may lose whatever New Years Six bowl game they're in

Agree. Would be a better win and as much as I fear how we might play with Milton, I would rather take the shot at Clemson or K-State. A win over Clemson might help recruiting in the Carolina area.
I would not look forward to playing a Gus coached UCF team who could scheme against our defense as well as anyone. Admittedly I don't know anything about UCF or Tulane and how they would match up with UT.
Tulane has a great running back, had 181 yards against Cincinnati.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
A win in the Orange Bowl against a good Power5 team. (Wasn't one of the choices so I didn't vote).

Reactions: QCD61
If we say we are a top team then you should be willing to play the best team possible in the bowl game, win or lose.

Reactions: VOL89grad
I'm not responding to the poll on principle alone.

No such thing as a sure loss or a sure win in a post season game, but I'd rather play in the best bowl available with an intriguing matchup.

The Battered Vol Syndrome is strong in this one.

Yes, let’s lose in a desirable high visibility bowl for all those viewers that didn’t get a chance to see us against GA and SC. So much more fun to wet the bed in front of everyone . . . multiple times!

VN Store

Back