Poll: UT Need a Dominant Big Man?

Poll: UT Need a Dominant Big Man?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madbamahater

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Barnes has ever had a dominating inside man at UT or UTjr. I mean a traditional big man in that traditional role. Grant Williams lived inside, but played 7 feet tall as a 6'7" forward. He just has heart of a lion.

I just do not understand how the Vols can't get a dominating big man or two. Michigan killed the Vols inside and there was no answer. If the Vols had shot the ball better, they would have won. But, you can't live on that entirely. Bad shooting days happen and there was nowhere to turn to.

Does Barnes need to prioritize signing top rated inside guys? To me, this has been the one common denominator as to why Barnes teams don't do well in the Tourney. Seems like this could get him over the hump....

Michigan played to their potential and we didn’t. It’s that simple. We had a bad game. They had a great one. We can talk about big men and needs and all of that all day long and regardless of what you have they will have off days. Michigans dominant big guy didn’t help them throughout the regular season much so that’s not the answer in every situation. We just didn’t play a good game at a critical time.

It’s very difficult to find a dominant big man in today’s game but if you can find one then that’s a huge advantage. Take Joel Embiid, nobody can guard the guy because everyone wants to play out on the perimeter. He can take guys down low whenever he chooses and is an automatic 2 points or free throws.

Yeah if TN had a really good big man inside they wouldn't have to rely on 3 s so much. The only problem is actually being able to get one to come . Their is 6 10 guy from Morehead State who is really good. He has 2-3 years left....if he puts his name in the portal😁. Johni Broome just looked him up. Maybe he will read this and decide he needs to be a Vol.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I understand it’s easy to watch Dickinson play well against us and have this gut reaction that we need a player like that.

But you gotta look at the big picture. They lost a lot of games with him. You saw him having one of the best games of his life. Also, he was bad defensively.

We were a better team. It was apparent the entire time. But that’s basketball. The better team doesn’t always win.

We had hands down, the best low post scorer in college basketball a couple years ago. Results weren’t much better.

We are all reeling from the loss. But let’s not get illogical. You can win with guards. You can win with forwards. You can win with freshmen. You can win with seniors. Just get good players, play winning basketball AND, have a little luck on your side.

We’ll get there.

A competent big man removes the pressure during a scoring drought or when the team is struggling behind the arc. Plus it actually opens up the outside game and defensively an advantage as a rim protector.

Dominant Doesnt mean 25 ppg and 10 rbp.

Dominant for the Vols means someone when the opposing big man tries to back you down you dont look like youve never seen a weight room. Or you have more than a 1/2 inch vertical.

Reactions: 08Vol
The team with at least 3 dominant big guys just got hosed by a team of 24 year old midgets. go figure. Oh and 141 in defense on KP. what's it all mean. Just Madness.

I understand it’s easy to watch Dickinson play well against us and have this gut reaction that we need a player like that.

But you gotta look at the big picture. They lost a lot of games with him. You saw him having one of the best games of his life. Also, he was bad defensively.

We were a better team. It was apparent the entire time. But that’s basketball. The better team doesn’t always win.

We had hands down, the best low post scorer in college basketball a couple years ago. Results weren’t much better.

We are all reeling from the loss. But let’s not get illogical. You can win with guards. You can win with forwards. You can win with freshmen. You can win with seniors. Just get good players, play winning basketball AND, have a little luck on your side.

We’ll get there.
But they beat us with inside points. They made a bunch and we didn't.

Last edited:
Then what we needed was better interior defenders. Not necessarily better inside scoring
If you are noting scoring from the outside, then you have to score inside. That is, if you want to win. Fact is, you need to be able to score from both. We didn't from either.

VN Store

Back