Poll, QB to lead the Vols to a Bowl

Which QB do you feel gives the Volsnthe best chance to reach a bowl game this season?

• Total voters
With the news that all 3 QBs are cleared to play let's find out who Volnation believes gives our Vols the best chance to get to a bowl. Make your selection based on how you feel today. We may revisit this after our game against Kentucky depending on the outcome and who sees playing time.

Go Vols
All 3 plus JJ!

I hope Maurer starts, plays lights out the rest of the season and stays healthy throughout our bowl win. Period.

But this is the way I see the Kentucky game going.

Maurer starts, can't hit anything, gets hit and sidelined. JG gets put in and throws an interception. JT goes in and can't get anything going and its 3 and out. JG goes back in leads us to a score, FG or TD and finishes the game.
I can see this happening most likely.

JG would be the best. I would rather see Mauer or Shroud start the remaining games because I don't care as much about a bowl bid as I do seeing one of these kids gain the experience needed to be the starter next season. I don't want to come into next season with JG leading the team because he is the only experienced QB. Best would be start the kids and go to a bowl.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It’s gonna take a mixture of all 3, but mostly JG and BM. We don’t have a single QB leader on the team. JJ will be the one that leads the offense to the finish line.

In reality it’s going to take our defense to get to a bowl.

Reactions: Ty4Vols
It’s gonna take a mixture of all 3, but mostly JG and BM. We don’t have a single QB leader on the team. JJ will be the one that leads the offense to the finish line.

In reality it’s going to take our defense to get to a bowl.

This is closet to the truth and with JG being here 4th year you would think he would be a leader by now.
Yep , JJ is closet we have to leader on O and he does play QB some. I do think the players like JG, I've heard Trey speak highly of JG and that he cares to much and may over think sometimes.
I agree it will be mixture of 3 QB's maybe in all 3 games.
Just win, for a Bowl & extra practices for next year

Reactions: Ty4Vols
It makes sense actually.

Everyone always preaches "history" around here. History shows Maurer is likely to get a concussion and not finish. JT may end up being a better QB than JG, but he's not right now.

What is "Wow" worthy is all of the armchair coaches around here thinking they know what's best and everyone that disagrees is stupid. I mean, that's normal for us, but it doesn't negate how stupid it is.

Think what you want about deerpark, but he said Maurer is clear to play but hasn't been able to hit the side of a barn.

I only have info from watching games and what little I get here. I believe whoever the coaches plays in the games gives us the best shot at a bowl.

JT Shrout is not better than JG based on what? He barely gets any time to even get a rythym going.

Reactions: AM64 and jacvols
Maurer getting 162 of the first 200 votes is very telling. Volnation is overwhelmingly in belief Maurer gives the Vols the "best" chance to make a bowl game.
This in no way means Volnation believes he is the "only" qb that can get the team to the postseason.
Great participation guys and gals. 200 votes in roughly 4 hours. I appreciate hearing what everyone has to say and no matter who the QB is let's all sing rocky top and get back to arguing over to woo or not to woo!

Go Vols

Reactions: Jpcisco
Maurer moves the ball, is decisive, and gets the ball out quickly. Maurer's only fault to this point is taking to many big hits when scrambling and throwing an untimely interception or two. Guarantano, even with his improved play as of late still holds the ball too long (doesn't make reads quickly enough), poor decision making at times, doesn't use his feet nearly enough.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and AM64
I think Pruitt's thinking is pretty clear. He is a defensive coach and thinks like one. The defense is playing very well right now and the main thing he doesn't want to do is give the opponent a short field or an easy score. He must think Maurer and Shrout are more likely to put the defense in a bad spot than JG. So, for him, it's an easy decision to play the guy he feels he can trust even if that means our production will probably be lower.
Your analysis is dead on. The two freshmen QBs have a little better raw talent and are much more exciting. Maurer could do it, but he is very reckless, both with his throws (5 ints) and with his body. I would like to see him at least play in every remaining game. He could put up some serious numbers if he survives. JT Shrout continually makes poor decisions. He has a cannon for an arm, but reads defenses even worse than JG. JG can manage the game enough to give the defense a rest, as long as he does not get greedy like last game and throw a pass into double and triple coverage.

Reactions: Tarkus
Maurer moves the ball, is decisive, and gets the ball out quickly. Maurer's only fault to this point is taking to many big hits when scrambling and throwing an untimely interception or two. Guarantano, even with his improved play as of late still holds the ball too long (doesn't make reads quickly enough), poor decision making at times, doesn't use his feet nearly enough.
Maurer has 5 interceptions. At least two of those killed scoring opportunities. A quick, but wrong decision, is just as bad as a late, correct decision.

Reactions: Tarkus
JT Shrout is not better than JG based on what? He barely gets any time to even get a rythym going.

Based on he barely gets any time to even get a rythem going. Seriously, based on experience more than anything.

And... It's just my opinion. Although it's not much more, I have more confidence in JG leading us to a win Saturday than I do Shrout. I base that on they keep playing him.

All of the above. I don't think one qb can take the reigns and play every snap.

With the news that all 3 QBs are cleared to play let's find out who Volnation believes gives our Vols the best chance to get to a bowl. Make your selection based on how you feel today. We may revisit this after our game against Kentucky depending on the outcome and who sees playing time.

Go Vols
Personally, I think Maurer gives them the best option when healthy. I do, however, believe that in order to make a bowl, JG is going to half to play good enough to win a game or two based off of how Maurer hasn't finished any game hes played on. Granted one was a freak accident and one was an unnecessary push that just so happened to have an OL behind him to hit his head on. I dont base this on liking one over the other, but it feels like the O has played better with Maurer and ran the ball more effectively and he is confident in his decision to let the ball go, rather than hold it. That said, he has to learn to live another down and throw it away rather than force things and throw an INT, but with more experience he should get much better at that.

Lots of people in here drinking Pruitt's 3 QB system kool-aid.

Can't blame them. Playing multiple QBs almost never fails 🙄

Based on he barely gets any time to even get a rythem going. Seriously, based on experience more than anything.

And... It's just my opinion. Although it's not much more, I have more confidence in JG leading us to a win Saturday than I do Shrout. I base that on they keep playing him.

That last part has to be a joke since JG was continually played this year until they finally let Maurer. Same as last year. Even Chryst showed himself as a better QB in the little time he played.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I'm not sure I get this love affair with BM. He has not yet proven that he is as good as some of you want him to be. In the last two games he played in he was 9 / 14 with 3 interceptions. He will cost us points. But whatever, I want to win so I believe we will see multiple QB's in each of the remaining games. I also fully expect that if the game is such that we need a QB to manage the game we'll see JG play the most.

JG is not as bad as some of you make him out to be and BM is not as good as some of you make him out to be. And JT is just not ready - not sure he ever will be.

Reactions: VolGirl1126

VN Store

Back