Poll: Is UT being extorted?

Poll: Is UT being extorted?

• Yes

Votes: 333 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 89 21.1%

• Total voters
I say no only because, in a court of law, it's legal to threaten someone or entities for money.

I’m not a lawyer but it has been my experience and I do mean experience that you can threaten a lawsuit but you cannot threaten to turn stuff in to the FBI and actions like that.

Seriously?

What about blackmail?

The civil justice system is like 90% extortion and blackmail. “I’m gonna sue you for 1 million or you can just pay me 100 K and I’ll go away”. It’s a very flawed system.

Pruitt sees the writing on the wall that he’s never gonna be a HC again, so he’s trying to squeeze more money out of his former employer.

I’m not a lawyer but it has been my experience and I do mean experience that you can threaten a lawsuit but you cannot threaten to turn stuff in to the FBI and actions like that.

Right. You can’t tell someone to pay you off so you don’t turn over evidence against them, but, you can say “you’ll hate to see the dirt we have on you if this goes to trial, so you’d be wise to just pay us a settlement”.

I just love the fact Pruitt is saying, "I cheated because every coach at UT is cheating" . . . really? Admission of guilt by trying to "implicate" others. This just proves that Jeremy Pruitt is a POS . . .

GBO

The civil justice system is like 90% extortion and blackmail. “I’m gonna sue you for 1 million or you can just pay me 100 K and I’ll go away”. It’s a very flawed system.

Pruitt sees the writing on the wall that he’s never gonna be a HC again, so he’s trying to squeeze more money out of his former employer.
This.

Pruitt won't likely last long in pro football and his "show cause" may be so long that he's too old, too far out of the game, and simply not good enough for college.

If he DOES know things about UT and feels he'll never coach in college again, he's got nothing to lose dropping everything he knows off at the NCAA office and creating yet another investigation.

The question is: has the NCAA already uncovered everything Pruitt knows about UT? If he knows stuff about Barnes and UT Basketball (and he might, of course) then he'll be paid.

I hope he's bluffing but it's probably not easy to know what Pruitt, Fulmer, and others might've talked about. To be sure, the best chance of him knowing about violations in other UT sports is from Phil Fulmer.

Reactions: rocketskates
Not a lawyer but my understanding is that if you fire with cause, you may have to show cause. This is where the lawyers on his side say, "Well, prove it". Proof gets difficult and sometimes gets all tangled up in facts. Nobody likes facts, pisses them off.

If he'd been fired 'without cause', UT could "just 'cuz, all ye need to know" and he'd have no leg to stand on. Have to be careful though...if they said "just 'cuz you smelled a little funny" or "cuz of the cornbread", then the lawyers would say:

Smelled funny to whom?
Define a little?
Is funny necessarily bad?
Who did the smelling?
Can you clarify if it is or isn't corn light bread?
Have you considered whether the term cornbread might actually be a metophor?

Fired without cause means he would have gotten his 12.6 million.

Fired with cause means his actions came under a clause that allowed UT to fire him without paying his buyout. If Pruitt sues for breach of contract, the burden is him, as the plaintiff.

For a crack at their piece of a $12m pie, lawyers will do what lawyers do. Maybe there's a new Tesla after the "break even" settlement is reached. Not extortion, just the way the law cookie crumbles.

This.

Pruitt won't likely last long in pro football and his "show cause" may be so long that he's too old, too far out of the game, and simply not good enough for college.

If he DOES know things about UT and feels he'll never coach in college again, he's got nothing to lose dropping everything he knows off at the NCAA office and creating yet another investigation.

The question is: has the NCAA already uncovered everything Pruitt knows about UT? If he knows stuff about Barnes and UT Basketball (and he might, of course) then he'll be paid.

I hope he's bluffing but it's probably not easy to know what Pruitt, Fulmer, and others might've talked about. To be sure, the best chance of him knowing about violations in other UT sports is from Phil Fulmer.

I hope it’s not true. Barnes sounded pretty sure of himself so I don’t think he has jack on the basketball program.

Are the demands extortion?

I said no but actually we don’t know. If Pruitt doesn’t have a case he could find himself countersued along with his attorney for making claims publicly that damaged our institution. If he has a case, it could be a warning to an institution that things will come out in a lawsuit that they know they don’t want out there and that they were fully aware of. So in essence, it is stating the obvious.

Right. You can’t tell someone to pay you off so you don’t turn over evidence against them, but, you can say “you’ll hate to see the dirt we have on you if this goes to trial, so you’d be wise to just pay us a settlement”.

True. If it pertains to the trial I could see what you’re saying.

Exactly. The head coach’s contract always has a provision to “not get caught” cheating…he violated that when one or more of his players turned him in…

In this instance, the language appears to make Pruitt responsible for violations committed by his assistants with his knowledge.

His missive basically says “I cheated, but everyone else here cheats too.” It indicates he has no evidence that UT terminated him for any reason other than for cause.

His lawyer won’t file a claim in court he can’t support with evidence, or else Coach Thumb and his lawyer will be on the hook for UT’s fees. He’s toast.

This happened to my friend at a business recently. Very similar situation, the former emptdemanded a settlement or a lawsuit. The business countered back on the demanded settlement ambush about 25% only of what he wanted, so the former employee took it and ran to close the case. Companies do this all the time to keep their name from being drug in the mud and spending exorbitant legal fees for no reason. Pruitt has no chance with a lawsuit. He knows if, UT knows it. He’s just trying to make a buck be he got fired and kicked out of town without any. He wouldn’t stand a chance in a legal showdown with UTs lawyers.
Yes. Corporations or in this case, universities have risk management embedded in their mentality for large legal matters. If we had doubts we would have settled months ago (as long as we have good counsel...possibly doubtful?). This is desperation last resort type move.

Reactions: supersmo18
Personally I think he played his hand to early. He’s already made bold allegations and if the NCAA want to pursue it they will. What do they need him or for now??

It’s called posturing, but it borders on extortion for sure.

One other thing. When the mud slinging starts, it gets on everyone…Pruitt included. However, his reputation might be such that he has nothing to lose.

If I was making the decisions, I would accept that there will be some bad headline, but I would fight it. It’ll all be forgotten by the next news cycle (see the Politician’s Playbook).

Fired without cause means he would have gotten his 12.6 million.

Fired with cause means his actions came under a clause that allowed UT to fire him without paying his buyout. If Pruitt sues for breach of contract, the burden is him, as the plaintiff.

You said it more sophisticatedly.

VN Store

Back