Poll: Doug Marrone as Head Coach?

Poll: Doug Marrone as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 100 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 472 82.5%

• Total voters
Not unless they were to sign him to a 1 yr contract to be the place holder if we fire Pruitt and hire someone more desirable next year would be okay with that

When are you going to learn. Fans make this statement like it really means anything. 50k fan donors isn’t really a blip when you have donors that can write multi million dollar checks without blinking an eye. Plus factor in SECN money.

Empty Neyland. Stop buying merchandise. Stop buying tickets. Keep on preaching that like it means something. It doesn’t.
Well let’s say 50k fans donate 800... that’s 40,000,000... I would say that alone hurts a lot. That doesn’t include merchandise, concessions. Where you’re right though is there are 60,000 people every week that will buy one off game tickets so in the end I would still bet the loss would be around 10,000,000 in losses. That still hurts especially if you let it compound year after year. I don’t know of many places that will stomach that kind of loss besides our own university.

Well let’s say 50k fans donate 800... that’s 40,000,000... I would say that alone hurts a lot. That doesn’t include merchandise, concessions. Where you’re right though is there are 60,000 people every week that will buy one off game tickets so in the end I would still bet the loss would be around 10,000,000 in losses. That still hurts especially if you let it compound year after year. I don’t know of many places that will stomach that kind of loss besides our own university.

That’s still pennies to the big donors.

That’s still pennies to the big donors.
To the big donors yes, to the university that uses a lot of that money to fund the multitude of other athletics? No. Donors aren’t writing checks for volleyball or soccer the money generated from football is.

Pete Carroll was a “meh” NFL coach before USC. I know it’s ludicrous to project Marrone to be the next Carroll, but I still see Pruitt and Dabo’s year 3s compared almost daily

Sure. He’s an improvement. Don’t get excited though, plan on an underwhelming hire from a directional school...or another “Saban disciple” that he no longer needs.

Very simple. Yes or no?

What makes us believe he would be a successful college coach? Is he a good recruiter? Does he have an innovative offensive scheme? Can he stop the new wide open offenses trending now in the college game?

I honestly don’t know much about him except that he was an NFL coach.

Reactions: beamerman
Yeah, but you only believe that because he has ties to Tennessee, and you're too lazy to do any actual research on his coaching history.
Yet some people want Jeff Fisher? Marrone hasn’t proven he can win in college as a head coach, he obviousply had a dumpster fire in Jax and some reports are that he was hired to clean it up and set the table for the next coach, who looks to be Urban. Tn might have to clean up the mess first, I don’t know how bad it is in the inside, but it looks bad from the outside. If we have to gut the program then Marrone is the guy. Tn needs to find out whoever it is that LSU used that recognized Saban for what he was. His record at Michigan St would certainly not be an indication of his brilliance. How many people here would have been happy with hiring a guy from Michigan St with that record? Tn seems to not be able to get their heads out of the butts and make THE hire.

What makes us believe he would be a successful college coach? Is he a good recruiter? Does he have an innovative offensive scheme? Can he stop the new wide open offenses trending now in the college game?

I honestly don’t know much about him except that he was an NFL coach.
Mature guy, stable, and folks seem to like him. Won't be an ass to people he works with. He's in the group with the cat that stabilized Penn St. and Steele.

In my mind, we don't need to pick from that group. We need to go with either the "sell your soul group" or the "hotshots". The sell your soul group is really a tandem. Kiffin and Freeze. The Hotshots are guys like Campbell, Napier, and Chadwell.

The more I hear and read about Napier makes me want to make a real push for him. At this point, the program is on life support. We have little left to lose. Give the guy the control he wants, but really get a contract that's going to make it extremely difficult for him to leave. I'd probably be willing to overpay him at this point in his career, too. After Napier, I'd make Campbell say no before I moved on to the sell your soul group. Failing at those two....and personally, I'd bet the farm we'd get one of those guys...I'd take a shot with Chadwell. To be honest, if he were more seasoned, he likely is the best fit of all the candidates.

With all that on the table at this point, I don't see how we could go with the likes of Tee, Steele or Marrone. Much better options right now. Of course, by the time UT gets done filling the pockets of lawyers, we will make a rush hire just in time for spring practice.:rolleyes:

Reactions: ETSU VOL
He wouldn't be a bad hire at all. Better than Pruitt, Butch and Dooley. Hell he went 25-25 (4-5 vs ranked opps), 2 winning seasons and shared a tie for 1st place his 2nd season. That's not an easy place to win, then in the NFL he was at Buffalo 2 yrs then of course Jacksonville now. Both are very hard places to win, especially if the GM's aren't bringing in good QB's or players. Don't look at his record, he's been at 3 places that are damn near impossible to win. Hell Buffalo went 25 yrs without a winning a playoff game but finally have an elite QB. Same at Jacksonville, they will finally get their QB of the future in Trevor Lawrence. It's hard to win with QB's like Blake Bortles, Gardner Minshew, Josh Dobbs,Nick Foles,Cody Kessler and Chad Henne. He had a winning season at one of his 2 yrs in Buffalo with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton as his QB's.

If this hire happens it is a lot better than some think. You just have to do a little homework and look past his overall record. Even Bellichick was like 45-56 till he got Tom Brady. And he would bring in a really good staff. There wouldn't be any of this BS inability to talk like you're educated like we got from Pruitt. Trust me this would be a good hire. Some fans are gonna complain if it happens but he would by far be the best HC we've gotten since Fulmer.

Reactions: DougAtkins91

VN Store

Back