Poll: Does anyone actually believe Pruitt will be successful at UT?

Does anyone actually believe Pruitt will be successful at UT?

• Total voters
Thread title says it all. If you think CJP will be successful here at some point, if kept on board long enough, I’d LOVE to understand why. If not, WHY would you ever keep a coach you know has not and will not ever meet expectations? When the writing is on the wall, why wouldn’t you fire and hire an interim at least?
OP, your simplistic poll removes any alternatives other than 0% chance and 100% chance. Which means, your answers don't fit your question very well.

Now, if you really wanted to know what folks think, you'd probably have allowed for versions and gradations of "maybe" (responses like "probably," "probably not," "doubtful," and "fifty-fifty chance"). Since you didn't, one has to assume you aren't really interested in hearing from others, but mainly just want to exhibit your own viewpoint. Which is fine, though the way you go about it is intellectually dishonest.

Alternately, perhaps you've fallen for a logical fallacy we see far too often in these times: to think that any person who doesn't agree with you, 100%, must disagree with you, 100%.

He just seems to make so many "bone headed" calls during the game and seems so risk adverse, except for ill timed "on sides kick off" that we usually lose. He just refuses to allow Chaney to throw the deep ball more frequently, he tries to control the tempo by looking for 3 yds a carry and grind it out. That is one reason the offense usually only scores a few touchdowns at best. Never developed a large running back to pound a defense, no big, fast tight ends, no big fast wide receivers, and on and on.

The obvious issue was backing JG, who is one of the worst QB in the SEC which every coach and everyone besides Pruitt recognizes. He just doesn't seem to be able to adjust at half time, and finally he is supposed to be such a defensive mind etc. and he cannot stop even the most basic slant pattern, and every team we play knows it and capitalizes on it over and over again.

Team is so bad on so many levels that the only solution unfortunately is to start over again and bring in an experienced, winning HC, that can bring in the talent we need to compete in the SEC. We will never dominate Alabama, Florida, or Georgia without getting at least Top 4 of 5 classes every year. We have a hard time getting in the Top 10 which just is not good enough to compete in the SEC.

An incompetent micromanager in year one did not change his stripes in year three. He will not change in year four. You can give him another year and completely change the cast of coaches working for him. It will not matter. He is a Poor Man's Mike DuBose and always will be.

I'm curious, as we all are, to find out what happened at halftime during the GA game. We looked strong up that point and then the rails came off

I voted no but only because I don't believe he will be given the time it would take for him to learn everything he needs to know to be good at the HC job. He knows football but has a lot to learn about being a HC.

Yes, he will be, because he can recruit well and because he understands the SEC is a line of scrimmage league (where Butch failed). This year is an anomaly, a temporary downturn because of several factors.

1. QB play - For whatever reason, JG just has a dark cloud hanging over him. No matter how well he plays, disaster is always looming on the horizon. You can be fairly successful with a game manager if you have a good team around him, but you cannot be successful with a crash and burn. So why was he still on the field? Because the other QBs had their own issues, whether injuries, no experience or practice time, or their own catastrophic tendencies. But this is Pruitt's 3rd year, so why no QB to take over? Because QBs are recruited way in advance. Bailey is the first highly regarded QB that Pruitt has been able to develop a relationship with and recruit. With Bailey at the helm next year, those first half leads will not disappear with 2nd half disasters.

2. The upperclassmen on the roster. Good teams are abundant in upperclassmen. There are a few excellent Jrs and Srs on this team, but their ranks are very thin. The 2017 recruiting class (Butch's last), and the 2018 class (Pruitt's first) are very thin on productive players. Much of the depth on the team has to come from Freshmen and Sophomores, and especially this year they have been deprived of practice time and a lot of playing time that they would have gotten in the 2nd halves against OOC opponents. Time will correct this.

3. The players love Pruitt. As badly as this year has gone, they've never quit (except maybe the 2nd half against Kentucky). With another good recruiting class about to sign on Wednesday, the future is bright.

I was REALLY high on Pruitt after the first two games of the season. I remember watching the Jeremy Pruitt show as he broke down the Mizzou game. On one play we sacked the QB and Pruitt was griping about our technique. I sent a video of that part to a couple of buddies and said “We finally have our guy. This guy demands perfection and I love it”

After the first half of the Georgia game, I remember thinking we‘ve won 8 in a row and are beating a Top 5 team, Pruitt is going to get us back on the national stage.

I’ve honest to God never seen a derail of a program of this magnitude in any sport at any level. Even right this second I’m still completely stunned as to how we got here.
Finally a man with integrity. The amount of people high fiving about Pruitt was nauseating. Glad people finally see how foolish this fan base was about hiring the number 6 candidate. People glossed over his lack of experience and his lack of diction as this home spun back to the country “we got us a football coach’” guy to lead the Vols out of the Butch era. Butch was twice the Coach Jeremy is. Reaping what was sewn by an over the hill Fulmer and a fan base that thought Gruden was coming here. Delusional. Was it possible to pick someone worse?

I'm curious, as we all are, to find out what happened at halftime during the GA game. We looked strong up that point and then the rails came off
If UGA does self inflict a gift TD would you be saying the same. UGA beat us with a 4th string qb who got no reps in fall camp. Can we just acknowledge this team isn’t that good.

It’s hard to figure out how a coach with so much football knowledge let this season fall so far. It is a pretty deep hole and most worrisome is the recent decommits. That said the world will look very different with a real QB.

Reactions: 1967vol
I was REALLY high on Pruitt after the first two games of the season. I remember watching the Jeremy Pruitt show as he broke down the Mizzou game. On one play we sacked the QB and Pruitt was griping about our technique. I sent a video of that part to a couple of buddies and said “We finally have our guy. This guy demands perfection and I love it”

After the first half of the Georgia game, I remember thinking we‘ve won 8 in a row and are beating a Top 5 team, Pruitt is going to get us back on the national stage.

I’ve honest to God never seen a derail of a program of this magnitude in any sport at any level. Even right this second I’m still completely stunned as to how we got here.
yxskCbhqhwZx6ka6o9.gif

OP, your simplistic poll removes any alternatives other than 0% chance and 100% chance. Which means, your answers don't fit your question very well.

Now, if you really wanted to know what folks think, you'd probably have allowed for versions and gradations of "maybe" (responses like "probably," "probably not," "doubtful," and "fifty-fifty chance"). Since you didn't, one has to assume you aren't really interested in hearing from others, but mainly just want to exhibit your own viewpoint. Which is fine, though the way you go about it is intellectually dishonest.

Alternately, perhaps you've fallen for a logical fallacy we see far too often in these times: to think that any person who doesn't agree with you, 100%, must disagree with you, 100%.
Dude it’s pretty simple. He’s going to be around awhile and be successful or he’s going to get ****canned. Make it however complex you’d like, but at its core that’s it.

The bottom line on Coach Pruitt, in my opinion, is that at best he is an 8-4 regular season coach. Coach Pruitt lead teams have not and will not defeat Alabama, Florida or Georgia. We are now a middle of the road to lower tier SEC program, and that cannot change unless we have a coach who can not only recruit BUT also develop players and make them better. Coach Pruitt has not shown the ability to develop players, and make them better. Coach Pruitt is also not the following that I have seen my fellow Vol fans compare him to on here: Johnny Majors, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, etc.. Coach Fulmer came off sounding like a total moron when he compared Pruitt to Majors, and he did that to save his own hide because he made a bad hire when he selected Coach Pruitt for this job. Just look at the 2021 schedule, in my opinion there are only three games where I feel confident that win can win: Bowling Green, South Alabama and Vanderbilt... other than that, the other games are toss ups, except for the three surefire losses of Bama, Florida and Georgia, so we start the season out already with three losses.. We shall see what 2021 brings, but I won't be surprised with another season of below .500 football for my Tennessee Volunteers with Coach Pruitt at the helm, and to me anything less than 8-4 next year, and remember that means once again losing to our three main rivals, and we all know who they are, Pruitt should be fired, that's right 7-5 is not good enough, and really 8-4 is not because of always losing to the "Big 3", but going 8-4 would be a miracle for Pruitt next year, and that's why I think he should and will be fired after 2021... Hope I'm wrong because I want UT to win every game. Go Vols!

Reactions: ugg
Not here……… typical defensive guy…… too stubborn to get out of the way and be successful. Saban learned and adapted on offensive philosophy. He was an old man when he did and it was because he had to. Kirby is doing the least with the most…… because he can’t get out of the way and be successful offensively at the natty level. UGA would have been a disaster without Swift last year and raw talent.

CJP may very well learn and be successful, I just don’t believe he will do it at TN. The personality of coaches don’t allow many of them to jump off a sinking ship in time.

Reactions: ugg
He's already proven who he is. He's a decent coordinator and a good recruiter but doesn't have the intangibles required to be a great head coach. If the people in charge are smart they will stop the bleeding now and bring in someone who can take advantage of the talent that Pruitt has recruited. Give him another year or two years and his recruiting prowess will not be able to overcome the onfield failures.

Dude it’s pretty simple. He’s going to be around awhile and be successful or he’s going to get ****canned. Make it however complex you’d like, but at its core that’s it.
See, no, it's not that simple.

What's going to happen to Pruitt is one or the other, sure. But being in the future, that's unknowable at this point. So that's not really what you asked.

What you asked is what your fellow VN.com members believe is going to happen (Poll: Does anyone actually believe Pruitt will be successful at UT?). And that involves predicting the future. Predicting the future is all about probabilities. Not 'yes' or 'no,' but probabilities.

It's all in your question, brother. When you ask a question about the future, a prediction question, allow for probabilities.

That is simple.

I think a head coach needs to be a great manager of coaches. He himself doesn’t need to be a great coach. Pruitt seems to hire coaches he likes and not great coaches with the exception of a couple of them. Chaney is a prime example of a mediocre coach but has/had a great reputation but apparently isn’t great by any means.

It depends on your definition of successful. Far too many of our fans and members of the inner circle think 7-8 wins per year on average is being successful which is the Gumps cap.

VN Store

Back