Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Bama pays players

Votes: 127 19.4%
  • Georgia pays players

Votes: 113 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
In almost every thread, it seems as many posters state that Bama and Georgia are paying players.

I am curious as to how many of you actually think players are being paid.

Discuss as you like.

Based on the last 15 years of UT football, I'm not sure too many of them were worth the money . . . well, if they were being paid, that is (wink, wink).

Reactions: KptVFL and FLVOL_79
There's a difference between school employees paying players vs. boosters "helping" players and their families. If the rumors are believable, we had a head coach providing his own money and using university employees to distribute the money. From a compliance perspective, that's very different from a booster hiring a player's relative, or "loaning" a player a car. I don't know how the NCAA could do much about boosters passing out favors if the school is not directly involved.

Reactions: Visiting Dawg
I think a good bit of the highly ranked players coming out of high school get “paid”. Whether that’s paying mom’s mortgage or dad getting a job at a business of a booster, it all qualifies as paying a player. I don’t think it’s common for players to get paid cash directly. That seems likes the risk of it getting exposed goes way up. But between families, high school coaches, and handlers, somebody is winding up wealthier.

Your question needs to be a little more specific.

If the question is “Do players get occasional gifts from boosters” such as a $100-handshake, the loan of a car for a weekend, a nice meal, the answer is and always will be yes.

If the question is “Do players get thousands of dollars at a time” as a signing bonus or a regular salary, the question is an interesting poll question. I would say It is rare but would be interested in what others think.

I went to high school with a guy who went to TN as a basketball player back in the day. He came home his freshman summer driving a 2 year old Mustang we all new he could not afford. We did not ask how he got it we just got in and rode.........

Absolutely I’ve seen it. The envelope under the door is real. At least it used to be discreet

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Swagger
A friend of mine played at UNC in the early to mid 90s and it was absolutely happening according to him.

I was a D1 athlete. My teammates and I all had plenty of opportunities to get paid, especially if we performed well. I could tell some stories. It happens. Some are straight cash, some pay family. Churches, cash drops, hiring people that didn't really work the hours, renting and buying from certain people. If you can dream it, it happens.

VN Store

Back