Poll: Barnes or Pearl and why?

Who's better coach?

• Total voters

madbamahater

Who is the better coach and why? Hypothetically, if Pearl didn't get fired and show-caused, who would you (as a fan) rather have coaching the Vols?

This is obviously a hypothetical scenario since Barnes is our guy and Pearl isn't....so please keep smarty pants comments to your self.

Who's style of coaching do you enjoy more?

I loved BP and wish what happened didn't happen, because Pearl would've had a title at UT by now (or more than 1).

But hindsight is 20/20 and we now have Barnes. I think Barnes is the overall better coach based soley on body of work. Barnes has many more tourney appearances. Pearl has never been to a final 4.

Barnes has won a ton of games, but so has Pearl. Barnes has been coaching longer though, so that's not really a valid point.

Pearl is better post season

Barnes is better regular season

Last edited:
Reactions: LibertyVol
Pearl shafted UT more than once.He lied to the NCAA and took our coach and hope for BB away.Then he took a job in the SEC which is worse.Now we have a coach with integrity,and win or lose I love Rick Barnes.Home cooking did go AU's way too.Basket interference was an easy call,and a few others were very iffy.Lets go win the tourney!!!

Pearl is better post season

Barnes is better regular season (except for when he had Durant)

God you’re not even a good troll anymore.

Barnes with Durant wasn’t even his best team by far.

Barnes has made it farther than Pearl in the NCAAT, more elite eights and sweet sixteens, and has a conference tournament title from a power 6 conference.

I didn't like Pearl's offense in the last couple of years. We'd come down and dribble the ball around the perimeter for much of the shot clock, then jack a defended 3. I remember Pearl explaining something along the lines of "forcing the defense to defend for the whole shot clock, wearing them down" -- but it just seemed like he'd lost his mojo. I missed his "chaos" offense that I loved so much in his first several years.

Barnes is a better program builder and gives us stability, overall I would rather have Barnes, but for one big game Pearl might be the best, he is such a great motivator. Since I have to choose one I vote Barnes, he has integrity, character. paearl whom I love has a used car salesman mentality or snake oil salesman.

They’ve both done things for this program that we had never seen before in our lifetimes. However, I give the slight edge to Barnes because of his overall resume and the fact that we were number 1 for more than just one week. That is something I will never forget. If Pearl had gotten us into the Final Four that one year I would probably vote for Pearl because who knows what would’ve happened after that. Honestly I’m a little torn between them because they’ve both taken our program to new heights. I love both of them and they’re both great for the game of basketball.

God you’re not even a good troll anymore.

Barnes with Durant wasn’t even his best team by far.

Barnes has made it farther than Pearl in the NCAAT, more elite eights and sweet sixteens, and has a conference tournament title from a power 6 conference.
Give me Pearl over Barnes in the post season.

Loved what Pearl brought to UT, it was awesome at the time. He's moved on and so have we. Barnes is our coach and I'm proud to have him. Overall I think he's a better coach, but I always enjoyed Pearls outgoing enthusiasm.

Objectively, one has to say Coach Barnes. With that said, I'll always appreciate Coach Pearl for what he did for this program and the excitement he generated... ONE thing to me that I appreciate about Coach Barnes so much more than Coach Pearl is how Coach Barnes recruits kids with high character, whereas I don't think that was a priority for Coach Pearl.

VN Store

Back