Point me in the right direction Volnation!

Where is the Museum of Appalachia? I love Appalachian history!

It's close to where I live, in Anderson County. It's close to Norris. Could stop by Norris Dam if you're going that way. (Lenoir Museum is there as well.) It's always been a favorite of mine to do some hiking. Though there is a less strenuous part of doing that, the song bird trail which is right beside the dam at the base. (Most people walk/run that little trail.) There is a little watershed road which is nice too. Anderson County is where Oak Ridge is as well, though it's on the other side if you're interested in the Museum of Science and Energy. Was the place for the Manhattan Project. And yeah, if want to see the Alex Haley farm it's on the same highway as the Museum of Appalachia. Directly across from Anderson County High School on Alex Haley Ln.

Outside of Knoxville and Anderson County. I'd say Maryville is worth visiting. I lived there as well. See if they have any live shows at The Shed. Or the little downtown area has a couple of spots for some music and drinking. Also close to Townsend, which would give you access to the Smokies. Particularly the entrance that's right next to Cade's Cove and Tremont. Then going on the same road that goes into Cade's Cove, but the opposite way you can take a nice drive up the mountains to Clingmans Dome observatory. I'd only go up there though if it's a clear day and the air pollution isn't limiting your viewing distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holys#!tVol1979
It's close to where I live, in Anderson County. It's close to Norris. Could stop by Norris Dam if you're going that way. (Lenoir Museum is there as well.) It's always been a favorite of mine to do some hiking. Though there is a less strenuous part of doing that, the song bird trail which is right beside the dam at the base. (Most people walk/run that little trail.) There is a little watershed road which is nice too. Anderson County is where Oak Ridge is as well, though it's on the other side if you're interested in the Museum of Science and Energy. Was the place for the Manhattan Project. And yeah, if want to see the Alex Haley farm it's on the same highway as the Museum of Appalachia. Directly across from Anderson County High School on Alex Haley Ln.

Outside of Knoxville and Anderson County. I'd say Maryville is worth visiting. I lived there as well. See if they have any live shows at The Shed. Or the little downtown area has a couple of spots for some music and drinking. Also close to Townsend, which would give you access to the Smokies. Particularly the entrance that's right next to Cade's Cove and Tremont. Then going on the same road that goes into Cade's Cove, but the opposite way you can take a nice drive up the mountains to Clingmans Dome observatory. I'd only go up there though if it's a clear day and the air pollution isn't limiting your viewing distance.

Appreciate the info!

Reactions: LucidZ
I would love to actually hear it live. Watching hunting shows, you get to hear them, but I would think to hear for real would send a chill down my spine.

Up here in Montana, the elk rut often coincides with peak fall color, so you get two for the price of one. The St. Mary KOA on the east side of Glacier is one area that I have heard them with some degree of regularity. You can sit on the porch of one of their camper cabins at dusk and be serenaded by the big bulls. And, yes, there is a piercing quality to that cry, like that of a loon, that seemingly goes to the very heart of your soul.

I know this is a little dated ... but if you make a return trip this fall ..... and if you make a side trip to Oak Ridge for the museum ... then I would swing by Big Ed's Pizza. Yum!

Where is the Museum of Appalachia? I love Appalachian history!

There is also Lenoir Museum close by. “Lenoir Historical Complex includes the Lenoir Museum, an 18th century Grist Mill and a Threshing Barn that depicts life before the Tennessee Valley Authority built Norris Dam through a pictorial history display, artifacts and historical documents. Don't miss the 19th century German Barrel Organ.”
This is also near Norris Dam with all the TVA and local history attached to that. Very pretty grounds nearby for kids or dogs to run.

Link for Lenoir Complex, you can walk the mill race at gristmill, although I believe part of that walk has been closed.
Lenoir Museum and Historical Complex | Tennessee River Valley

Map between the two museums.

Attachments

• 3D2E8854-0E59-4ACD-9CF0-C90DE09ABF01.png
    3D2E8854-0E59-4ACD-9CF0-C90DE09ABF01.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
I don't know where you plan to stay, but I do not recommend the hotel pictured below. The beds were very uncomfortable, the staff was just plain rude, and the food was god awful. They even made you share the room you bought and paid for.
proxy-image

I'm planning a trip this fall and I've always wanted to come up to Knoxville early in the week before the game! I really want this trip to be special so please point me in the right direction. What's fun to do in the city? Where do they do Vol calls? What is a must see outside the city(in the country)? Thanks and GBO!!!
Are you staying in Knoxville?

(Monday) I'd suggest staying in Townsend the first couple days. I'd check in to the hotel and take it easy the first day. Maybe just look at a couple maps of the area to see if anything catches my eye. Then hit the hot tub and just relax/unwind from the drive & work.

(Tuesday) Spend a day going to Elkmont, Cades Cove and the Smoky Mtns in general. Have dinner a "The Snoring Bear".

(Wednesday) I'd probably spend a day in the Gatlinburg area, just to be a tourist and do touristy stuff for a day. Anakeesta, t-shirt/souvenir shops. I drive the Roaring Forks Motor nature trail. Then have dinner at 1 of a 100 pretty good places in Gatlinburg.

(Thursday) I'd move to a hotel in Knoxville, preferably downtown, near Market Square. Maybe tour Neyland if you can. I'd probably visit Ijams Nature park, walk the trail to the "keyhole". Then I may drive Ft Dickerson Quarry (I like it better than the swimming at Ijam's quarry, but Ijams does have kayak rentals there) just a few minutes away, and go swimming.

Then I'd hit the hotel for an hour, get a 2nd wind and a shower, then head to the Old City/Market Square to eat. Visit the Sunsphere viewing deck for a few minutes and hang out in World' Fair Park for a few more minutes.

Then call an uber and go to a sports bar for a couple drinks and a couple games of pool or darts.

(Friday) I'd probably spend the next day doing pretty much nothing except watching UT highlights from past games of the team we'll be playing the next day, as well as game preview stuff. Then Calhoun's the night before the game.

(Saturday) Scrambled Jack's breakfast before the game. Then head toward the stadium 2-3hrs before kick-off and visit a bunch of tailgates and check out the pre-game activities and find a spot for lunch. Then. . . Go watch the Vols dump 50+ on some unfortunate team. . . Go Vols!

I wonder how OP's trip went?

VN Store

Back