Plumbing Question

volinbham

VN GURU
Hello VN Plumbers.

I'm considering adding a small utility sink to my laundry room and my initial thought was to use the washer waterlines and washer drain for it. From the limited research I've done it appears using the drain as I intended would be "wet venting" or something along those lines. IOW, no bueno.

Is it a big plumbing deal to create the proper draining situation? Would it be possible to use the existing washer line as the sink drain and drain the washer into the sink rather than have two drains into one?

One more bit of information that might matter - the line is on a grease trap/septic tank rather than sewer line. My kitchen, W/D and a bath all drain to this tank while the rest of the house drains to the main septic tank

It's not critical I do this but it's more complicated than I first expected. If it's a big expense I'll just keep things as is.

Thanks

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Hello VN Plumbers.

I'm considering adding a small utility sink to my laundry room and my initial thought was to use the washer waterlines and washer drain for it. From the limited research I've done it appears using the drain as I intended would be "wet venting" or something along those lines. IOW, no bueno.

Is it a big plumbing deal to create the proper draining situation? Would it be possible to use the existing washer line as the sink drain and drain the washer into the sink rather than have two drains into one?

One more bit of information that might matter - the line is on a grease trap/septic tank rather than sewer line. My kitchen, W/D and a bath all drain to this tank while the rest of the house drains to the main septic tank

It's not critical I do this but it's more complicated than I first expected. If it's a big expense I'll just keep things as is.

Thanks

How were you planning on attaching to the washer drain?

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
tumblr_mbpx9qTzLh1rih99ro1_500.gif

Funny-Video-Toilet-Woman-Freak-Out-Gif.gif

Last edited:
i used to have a utility sink that shared a drain w the washer and never had any issue. Although the only thing I ever really used it for was to clean my golf clubs

Hello VN Plumbers.

Thanks
Wet venting isn't that big a deal. Is your drain that your washer uses exposed like in picture #1 or inside the wall like picture #2? #1 is an easy and quick job. #2 is cutting your sheetrock and running your sink drain in the wall to attach which would also mean boring holes big enough to run your sink drain through your studs to the washer drain.

While the washer drain being completely open should vent/drain a small sink next to it I would still put a studor vent underneath the sink like orangeslice recommended. They're inexpensive and work great. When you tie in to that washer drain use a Y connection that has a sweeping 90 like in picture #3.

Back to wet venting you should be fine for what you are doing. People will add a bunch of stuff to one vent is when problems start. You should be fine.

Attachments

• plumbing layout 2.jpg
    plumbing layout 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • img_2172.jpg
    img_2172.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Z_I8I-fo5oy.JPG
    Z_I8I-fo5oy.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
Wet venting isn't that big a deal. Is your drain that your washer uses exposed like in picture #1 or inside the wall like picture #2? #1 is an easy and quick job. #2 is cutting your sheetrock and running your sink drain in the wall to attach which would also mean boring holes big enough to run your sink drain through your studs to the washer drain.

While the washer drain being completely open should vent/drain a small sink next to it I would still put a studor vent underneath the sink like orangeslice recommended. They're inexpensive and work great. When you tie in to that washer drain use a Y connection that has a sweeping 90 like in picture #3.

Back to wet venting you should be fine for what you are doing. People will add a bunch of stuff to one vent is when problems start. You should be fine.

Thanks. #2

any of you have a rough idea what a plumber might charge to do this? just trying to figure out if it's worth it. I don't have a ton of room so it would be a small utility sink.

any of you have a rough idea what a plumber might charge to do this? just trying to figure out if it's worth it. I don't have a ton of room so it would be a small utility sink.
Is the washer drain exposed or behind the sheetrock in the wall?

VN Store

Back