Please Don’t Shoot the Messenger

All of your recent woes began with the elevation of the incapable Mike Hamilton to Director of Men's Athletics. Incompetent leadership, poor personnel decisions, declining programs, declining revenues, NCAA problems, debt accumulation, public embarrassment, loss of stature, loss of credibility...

You know what's really bad is that a Knox area DL (name?) a few years ago who had 1 season under CBJ said the same thing about Dooley. Said that they would go in and "sign their names" for the daily S&C workouts. So if we were bad under CBJ, we must have been exceptionally sucky under CDD.

No wonder we are losing so many linemen to medical retirements! No wonder we have lost 21 of 22 games to bama and Florida.

It also was similar under Fulmer close to the end. A young man I trained with was a track athlete at UT and roomed with Ramon Foster. Foster complained about guys telling the S&C coach "they didn't feel like working out today " - so the coach let them off the hook.

You know what's really bad is that a Knox area DL (name?) a few years ago who had 1 season under CBJ said the same thing about Dooley. Said that they would go in and "sign their names" for the daily S&C workouts. So if we were bad under CBJ, we must have been exceptionally sucky under CDD.

No wonder we are losing so many linemen to medical retirements! No wonder we have lost 21 of 22 games to bama and Florida.
I think that showed in his overall record.

well my great grand pappy said....
What did he say? Before going to Daytona Beach Florida after high school graduation, mine told me to watch out for them city chiggers, they're harder to get rid of than the ones I was used to.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Shamburger is one of them and he’s still here.

Shamburger may just be impressionable and not necessarily a cancer. All of us know people that are followers, he is young and may need better friends.

Pruit is a coach and I will let him decide who he can develop and who needs to go.

Regardless, we will all judge him on wins and losses.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
The rumor back then was a number of the players had no interest in going to some minor bowl game and playing in the cold and having to continue to practice through the holidays and that game as well.

This has come up just about every year since the Dooley era when this team has 5 wins going into the Vandy game. I say this is fake to make fans feel better about getting the brakes beat off them. Why is it that UT seems to have this issue while other programs including Vanderbilt have no problem finding motivation to play the next game hard to beat the brakes off somebody. I say the team loses because they ain't got it. Though many of the Butch Jones recruits probably need to be cycled through. I find it difficult to believe Pruitt's recruits would try this behavior.

Well, we're not going to progress until the cancers on our team are weeded out.

I keep hearing 8 or 9 wins being thrown around pretty regularly. I believe that we will win 6 games with our ceiling at 7.
And your attitude is different than the teams late last year how? CJP learned some valuable lessons last year. and all those saying, I hope those players are off the team welcomed JJ back with open arms. If this team only wins 6 games this year, PF better start getting that short list together.

Reactions: onevol74
And your attitude is different than the teams late last year how? CJP learned some valuable lessons last year. and all those saying, I hope those players are off the team welcomed JJ back with open arms. If this team only wins 6 games this year, PF better start getting that short list together.

Which 6 should be wins? I don't know how anyone, especially TENNESSEE football fans, can just throw out a number like that and it be so definitive.

Look at 2016. 8 wins included GA and FL but didn't include Vandy and SC. Would you have felt different about it if we had lost GA and FL but won the other two?

Last year we only won 5 but we beat ranked KY and ranked Auburn. Pretty sure most of us predicted Auburn as a loss. But what if we had lost to both of the ranked teams and beat SC and Vandy? Would you feel better, worse or the same about the upcoming season, right now if that's how it played out?

2019 we win 6 but one of those 6 are Florida or Georgia and we looked good in all the others and almost won 2 more, just couldn't get it done for whatever ...legitimate reason(s).

I honestly don't know if I had rather beat who we should have like SC and Vandy and lost to ranked KY and Auburn, or have it the way it was. Obviously it is what it is, but I can't answer it.

Reactions: Boca Vol
What did he say? Before going to Daytona Beach Florida after high school graduation, mine told me to watch out for them city chiggers, they're harder to get rid of than the ones I was used to.

"City chiggers" being pubic lice?

Recent Experience has taught me better than to trust information that originates from College age Females 😂

I was not aware of what I am about to share. This may be old news.

I went to my dentist today, who like me is a Tennessee graduate and fan, and he shared something I was not aware of. We were talking football, and he shared that his daughter dates one of the players. I will not share his name or position. I made the comment it was obvious some of the players just quit late in the season, i.e. Missouri and Vanderbilt. He shared the player told him there was a significant fight/scuffle in the dressing room after the Vanderbilt game. Said, several players commented “they just wanted to get this shite over with”.

Is anyone else aware of a dust up after the game?

After the Vandy game it became readily apparent, the Vols have a bunch of Shitt* players , no doubt about it!

No real surprise...not everyone buys in after leadership changes and those guys had suffered under years of poor leadership under Butch.
I remember Saban’s first year at Bama - several of the upperclassmen didn’t buy in. It happens anytime leadership changes.

Reactions: kbear01
The rumor back then was a number of the players had no interest in going to some minor bowl game and playing in the cold and having to continue to practice through the holidays and that game as well.

Is that right?

At halftime of Bama game, Pruitt basically said he couldn’t wait to get 25 of his guys in there. So I think it’s obvious at least that many didn’t buy into his system. Which would rub real competitors the wrong way and may lead to fights

Does it have to be exactly 25?

There were some issues in locker room, there always is after a coaching change. Players that were recruited by CBJ had been told things that they knew were no longer promised and that tends to erode their confidence and buy-in to what the new coach stands for. As far as the fight, that happens when you have a lot of Alpha males on a team and they don't see eye to eye. The ones who are bought in and want to see the team succeed will push harder through adversity while those who don't believe in the new coach will quit. There is also the issue that if they have not been held accountable from a character standpoint that their bad attitude will only be made worse by losing. The players that were all in must also have been frustrated at the end of a long season that had gone so poorly.

The most important part of all of this is the way that the team responds to these kinds of issues. The leaders on the team have to step up and overcome the issues that led to the fight and the disagreement. They leaders on the team are the ones that bring everyone back together to follow the coach and stick with the program. The coach can do a lot and is vital in the mentality of the team, but he cannot do it without the leaders of the team behind him. If CJP is as good as we all hope he has the hearts and minds of the team and they will come out stronger after the fight than they were before it. Sometimes guys need to fight and get over it to be stronger and work better afterward, it is the way that teams work sometimes.

In other words, college football players are humans, subject to "human nature," like everyone else.
Good post.

I was not aware of what I am about to share. This may be old news.

I went to my dentist today, who like me is a Tennessee graduate and fan, and he shared something I was not aware of. We were talking football, and he shared that his daughter dates one of the players. I will not share his name or position. I made the comment it was obvious some of the players just quit late in the season, i.e. Missouri and Vanderbilt. He shared the player told him there was a significant fight/scuffle in the dressing room after the Vanderbilt game. Said, several players commented “they just wanted to get this shite over with”.

Is anyone else aware of a dust up after the game?

Certainly not aware of that but it was obvious to me that this team quit after DB Marquill Osborne made a bone head play after he made an interception at the end of the UK game. Pruitt got in his grill for his stupidity, and stayed in it. Osborne argued back and had to be pulled back away from Pruitt. Many players got involved and It got ugly. I’m sure it boiled over into the locker room because the team didn’t bother to show up for the next two games. A few weeks later Osborne transferred to UNCC.

VN Store

Back