Plays Since 98 That You Wish John Ward Had Called?

How amazing would it have been to hear him call the hail mary by Dobbs-Jennings against UGa? :)

No thanks. Thanks to Bob Kesling horrible “what a turn of events!” call it has become a staple between me and my roommate to sarcastically be surprised by something to quote him. It’s great comedy relief.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
No thanks. Thanks to Bob Kesling horrible “what a turn of events!” call it has become a staple between me and my roommate to sarcastically be surprised by something to quote him. It’s great comedy relief.
I do the same. My wife hates it. .especially during certain private moments. "What a turn of events"

I just love he said with the excitement of finding an extra cookie in the bag or something.
I was thinking more of the emotion you spew when you see a car make a U Turn on the highway. Not exciting, just "that's different. . What a turn of events" and you continue on your way.

1) Hail Mary against GA
2) Jennings burning Tabor for a TD
3) Even though we lost the game after the squib kick, I would have loved to hear Ward call the screen pass to Stephens in the 2001 Georgia game.
#1 and #2 were the first one's I thought of. Unless you want to include Butch's 4th and goal @ the 1 call vs Oklahoma..."NO SIR-REE!"

Reactions: GiveEmSix
We were always at the game live when John and Bill called the games.on radio.He started football my sophomore year,1967,it was magic!Nothing else.As good as John was in calling football,he was even better at basketball.No matter how many passes,tips ,whatever,John.kept up.with it all. "Bottom!"

Reactions: Volizona
Fairly certain it wouldn't have been "What a turn of events"

I’m really surprised he wasn’t at least met with by his bosses over that. While I understand he’s all Vol and I’m sure they know that’s how he is, there was almost zero emotion with that call. It was really disappointing.

JW retired at our peak. Fortunately his tenure coincided with our best football (outside of late 70s to early 80s). Grateful that we had his voice during most of our EPIC games. Post 98 our eventful games have been few and far between. Most of us are referring to a small handful of the same games, ie, GA, FL 2016. Sad that the ‘peak’ of the past 15 years has been the 2 9 win seasons with Butch.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
And how would they have gone? Despite the down years, their have been some memorable plays that really weren't done justice with our current broadcasting. . . How would have John Ward called them?

Mine...I would have loved to hear him call the 2001 Drain the Swamp game in Gainesville.

"Stephens takes the ball, up the middle, breaks it to the outside, eludes the tackler ...25, 20, 15, 10, 5..4...3..2...1.....TOUCHDOWN Travis Stephens!!! He took the ball and stomped on the chomp of the gator defenders..."

Yours?

ALL. OF. THEM.

EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY.

Watched the SEC feature - More Than A Voice - about all the magnificent past and present Radio Voices of the SEC. Great 90 minute show by the way. It showed many, MANY (almost ALL of the memorable ones) calls in the history of the SEC and which Mr. Ward was prominently featured deservedly so. What it didn't have was one single solitary call by the one we know as Blob Kessling. That is 23 plus years of being the Voice of the Vols and not one single solitary memorable call. NOT ONE.

Nuff Ced

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

VN Store

Back