Playing at TD Ameritrade - Home Runs

VFLVFLVFL

With us relying on the home run ball so much this season, how much do you think playing at TD Ameritrade will affect our Vols?

Omaha plays totally different than Vols park. Wind blows in about 20-30 mph,,, most HR in Knoxville will be easy pop-flies out in Omaha... don't care about the Omaha dimensions of ballpark..HR are hit to left & right field not center field.. I have been to Omaha & have watch the wind play a major factor in the game !!!!

Omaha plays totally different than Vols park. Wind blows in about 20-30 mph,,, most HR in Knoxville will be easy pop-flies out in Omaha... don't care about the Omaha dimensions of ballpark..HR are hit to left & right field not center field.. I have been to Omaha & have watch the wind play a major factor in the game !!!!
No, "most" of the HRs in LNS will not be pop flies. Some will be long, hard outs, certainly, but a lot of the HRs hit in Lindsay Nelson will be line drive doubles in Omaha. Not a bad consolation prize. This team doesn't exclusively play gorilla ball, and they don't simply benefit from a small park, either. They know how to get on base. 2nd nationally in walks and 5th in doubles, as a team.

As mentioned, Hoover Met plays much larger than LNS, and we had no problem with its added distance (7 HRs in 5 gms). TD Ameritrade is smaller than Hoover Met (though obviously larger than LNS), and the winds can certainly be an issue, but this team hits balls hard and puts them in play. I'm not worried. Perhaps fewer HRs, especially from left center to right center, but our line shots should still clear the fence.

From watching on TV over the years, and speaking with Omaha natives, it is a pitcher’s park. I also found these NCAA stats, which put some numbers to this.
Go to page 24 to see the number of home runs that year’s national champion hit during the CWS. Then go to page 26 to see the total numbers of home runs hit per college World Series.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_cws_RB/2017/1-CWSGeneral.pdf

Reactions: StarRaider
In our 10 SEC series, we hit a combined 25 home runs at home (1.67/game) and 20 home runs on the road (1.33/game).

In the SEC tournament we hit 7 home runs, or 1.4/game.

What does that mean for Omaha? I'm not sure. I can't really think of many of our home runs recently that would be "pop flies" though. If some of our home runs turn into doubles off the wall, I think I can live with that.

We’ve lived off the long ball in the Region and Super Region. I’m not sure we can do that at Ameritrade.

Pitching and defense will factor more, imo.

I am going out on a limb here in saying that I bet CTV is well aware of the variables at TD Ameritrade and will come up with a very good plan to take advantage of the situation just like he has all year long. I may be wrong but we will find out soon. GBO!!!!!!!

We’ve lived off the long ball in the Region and Super Region. I’m not sure we can do that at Ameritrade.

Pitching and defense will factor more, imo.
Saturday's game was a homerun exception in the Super Regionals when we won 4-2. We had six hits of which 3 were doubles. No HRs, but we added 3 walks. Four different players had RBIs. Our pitching was really good that game with 2 runs of which only 1 was earned. Our pitchers combined for 16 SOs with no walks.

Reactions: Pacer92
Saturday's game was a homerun exception in the Super Regionals when we won 4-2. We had six hits of which 3 were doubles. No HRs, but we added 3 walks. Four different players had RBIs. Our pitching was really good that game with 2 runs of which only 1 was earned. Our pitchers combined for 16 SOs with no walks.

True...and my point. I think it’s these type of efforts from the the pitching staff and defense that will take us far into the tournament...not the long ball...ideally, a combination of both. We’ve proved that we can small ball, as well.

Reactions: VolsFan-TX

VN Store

Back