Players or School

I bleed Tennessee Orange, always have and always will!!!

It doesn't matter what players or coaches are on the hill, I'll always support and cheer on my Vols!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

School……
remember, I went to Austin Peay. Never cared one second about having to watch to “biggest and best.”

Pure competition and love for your school is what make college athletics fun.

As far as I’m concerned……let the prima donnas take the money and run…..I could care less

Reactions: thistime
School……
remember, I went to Austin Peay. Never cared one second about having to watch to “biggest and best.”

Pure competition and love for your school is what make college athletics fun.

As far as I’m concerned……let the prima donnas take the money and run…..I could care less
Yet you never called 10 mil Nick, Phil or the other coaches prima donnas. Simp

School, yet just the same, times have changed as it always does. So, regarding the NIL and related stuff: Ecclesiastes 1: 9 - 10

Simp????

Go back to your mom's basement. You know exactly what I meant........And yes, coaches that are making 4-5 Million and hold schools hostage by looking at other schools just to get a raise at their school, are Prima Donnas.

Reactions: thistime and Delmar
With the NIL deals running wild and the unrest of that situation I thought of a simple question. IF they decided that only AMATEUR athletes could play college sports and they started semi pro teams for the talent that was almost ready for the pro's, would you still watch UT or any other college sports. Were talking unranked and 2 star players with the occasional 3 star player, basically an even playing field with rules that make cheating unthinkable.( If caught cheating, no team for 5 years) How many big time coaches would still coach at the college level.

Do you cheer for the great players, coach or the school ?

School. In a way we already have it in Division 2 or 3. If you want to watch "closer to amateur" athletes look no further than those divisions. However those players are still able to make NIL money as well and it will likely look more like what the expectation is: Carson Newman QB makes a 30 second radio or TV add for a Jefferson City auto dealer for $1500, and not the 4 year $8 million dollar contracts or $50,000 guaranteed for all scholarship players that we are hearing about. The problem is, the money comes from fans watching so if everyone turns to Division 2 for amateurism and drops D1 for being semi-pro, then it will eventually turn into what we have now.

My take, this is all a big disaster. They need to initiate some restrictions or this will get out of hand (as if it hasn't already). The focus needs to remain on STUDENT-athletes and not just athletes. These are supposed to be educational institutions and not athlete factories. They need to limit transferring and somehow get the kids to stay at a school and graduate. The focus is too much on going pro. If that is the athletes sole purpose or goal than there needs to be another avenue for them to achieve that besides going to college, IMO.

Reactions: thistime
This isn't even a question. We already have this with college baseball. And the NBA used to get players right out of high school and not one and done.

It's one of the reasons the NFL never has started a minor league. It's expensive and they know no one would give a damn. You've seen the crowds for the USFL.
Agreed, although it would be nice to have that clean delineation between amateur and pro in football. Also, the window for success is much smaller in football due to the physical nature of the game, compared to baseball and basketball. They have to make their money before their body breaks.

From 10 thousand feet, of course you would say the school. However when you look at it up close, on a year to year basis, part of the enjoyment of college sports is endearing yourselves to certain players. What concerns me about the portal and the revolving door it creates is caring about the individual goes away and essentially turns college football & basketball into minor league baseball where who wears the uniform REALLY doesnt matter.

1652718188330.png
vs
1652718224873.png

iu

School. In a way we already have it in Division 2 or 3. If you want to watch "closer to amateur" athletes look no further than those divisions. However those players are still able to make NIL money as well and it will likely look more like what the expectation is: Carson Newman QB makes a 30 second radio or TV add for a Jefferson City auto dealer for $1500, and not the 4 year $8 million dollar contracts or $50,000 guaranteed for all scholarship players that we are hearing about. The problem is, the money comes from fans watching so if everyone turns to Division 2 for amateurism and drops D1 for being semi-pro, then it will eventually turn into what we have now.

My take, this is all a big disaster. They need to initiate some restrictions or this will get out of hand (as if it hasn't already). The focus needs to remain on STUDENT-athletes and not just athletes. These are supposed to be educational institutions and not athlete factories. They need to limit transferring and somehow get the kids to stay at a school and graduate. The focus is too much on going pro. If that is the athletes sole purpose or goal than there needs to be another avenue for them to achieve that besides going to college, IMO.

I agree with you when it comes to STUDENT - athlete. The problem is EVERY coach at EVERY school uses the carrot so to speak of going to the pro's and how they can get them there. The first thing they want to talk about in most cases is how many players they have coached that made it to the pro's, when in a naive kind of way shouldn't the number of players that have graduated with their degree and are successful in life be the main focus and not who made it to the NFL. Peddle "THE DREAM", it sells like hot cakes.

Reactions: JRich
I’d watch both a minor league and college if it was divided like that…

assuming the minor league still pushed the whole state vs state thing we get with college ball.

The skill level doesn't matter. Always root for the Vols.

Case in point, the Derek Dooley years...especially with Sal. Good times :( :( :(

VN Store

Back