Players Arrested (Old news)

You tend to get very emotional over nonsense, if I’m being honest.
GBO!!
I am actually not a very emotion driven person for better and worse (at times). I am not emotional but this does offend my objective sense of justice and fair play. I want to watch games won on the field by players... not by a competition to see who can cheat the best and get away with it.

Sorry for being so terse with you. I am just getting more sharp edged on this notion that cheating happens so we should just accept cheating.

What if part of UT's inability to rise back up is nothing less than other programs being better at cheating? I think there needs to be something legal and binding either in the SEC or NCAA that puts real teeth into punishment. Maybe a financial penalty. Maybe even requiring states with participating programs to create a standard law punishing people who illegally pay college athletes.

After that if there needs to be discussion on increasing the player stipend then that is a conversation to be had.

But for the sake of competition... everyone should abide by the same rules.

They need to just go ahead and allow teams to pay a certain amount to players. Or at the very least, allow them to market their worth of their likenesses. That way no one gets butt hurt when the star QB gets paid more than a backup 4th stringer. These kids are 18 years old and technically legal to work jobs and be paid. They balance school and sports while making their universities a crap ton of money. If players are allow to profit off their own likeness then paying players is not a necessary.

They need to just go ahead and allow teams to pay a certain amount to players. Or at the very least, allow them to market their worth of their likenesses. That way no one gets butt hurt when the star QB gets paid more than a backup 4th stringer. These kids are 18 years old and technically legal to work jobs and be paid. They balance school and sports while making their universities a crap ton of money. If players are allow to profit off their own likeness then paying players is not a necessary.
There's a problem with that too. It assures the rich get richer and the "poor" get MUCH poorer.

Also if we pay players... then you'll pretty much have to pay participants in other sports as well. Otherwise you'll get hammered with Title IX suits.

If SEC programs pay their players... how about players at schools where the AD operates in the red? That's actually most college programs. I believe that's most FBS programs.

If you start paying players then where do you cut the budget? Do you eliminate your golf program so you can pay football players? Volleyball? Swimming? Track?

The players apparently get a stipend now that if properly managed can make car payments. Most of their food, housing, health care, etc are already free. The notion that these guys are terribly mistreated is ridiculous and completely overblown. Just like those of us who paid our own way through college... they're investing in future, not current, financial opportunities.

There are lots of problems with the "feel good" idea of paying players or letting them profit from their image. One of the big ones concerning image is that you would then have boosters and others rushing in to guarantee recruits money for rights to their image. It would create a worse problem than we have now with booster money finding its way to player pockets.

Last edited:
There will always be programs that go beyond what is allowed.

Reactions: Remy
Prove that most "want to say" that. Maybe you want to say that and want to believe that others compromise their integrity just as easily as you?

If this team had won the championship last year you wouldn't be calling for any suspensions.

And, FYI, the reason I wouldn’t say something like that is because I do have integrity and I do value high character players. Have I thought it before? Sure. Do I want to be the Miami Hurricanes of the 80’s? No.
GBO!!

I want the W/L record of the 80s Hurricanes.

So stupid. Can we stop arresting 17 and 18 year olds for smoking pot? Or even drinking?

They're going to do that stuff. Let's not make it out like it's the end of the world. So long as they aren't putting anyone else in danger, who gives a crap?
As long as they aren’t driving under the influence, I don’t think they should be in any trouble for pot or even alcohol consumption. Drinking actually worries me more with our players, as it can lead to some very dumb decisions, especially when you are 17 or 18 and probably living away from home for the first time. I was never into pot but I had several friends in college that were, and I never witnessed them do anything nearly as stupid as drunk college kids would do.

If this team had won the championship last year you wouldn't be calling for any suspensions.
Well... yes. I probably would if there were blatant proof like money being passed from the coaching staff to players in McDonald's bags. Don't project your moral relativism onto others. I've accepted personal and professional loss rather than compromise my integrity... I wouldn't sacrifice it over a game played for entertainmment.

UT hasn’t fielded a football team without “pot smokers” in at least 30 years, probably more like 50
I remember my first semester at UT as a student in 2004, we threw a party at our apartment the night after the Auburn game. Somehow a couple football players showed up (these guys were starters but I won’t name any names). Let’s just say that these guys definitely knew how to party and didn’t seem too upset about the loss to Auburn. I remember being really surprised. I guess I had always just pictured the players sulking in their dorms/apartments the night after a big loss, rather than partying like they just won the National Championship.

That may be true. But Saban also controls all information about the program and releases only the info to the media he deems necessary. He controls the image of the program over the university and the media. There is a reason no reporter in Alabama would write a negative article about Bama.
When Saban's players (3 or 4 of them) beat up someone, stole a credit card or something, and bought...... snacks with it???? ......only one of them ever played another down at Bama. Can't recall the kid but he sat a year at a JUCO and essentially lost that year of competition/learning but Saban let him come back, not the others.

Saban's the devil's agent but he has some standards.

Reactions: sjt18
Assuming if Washington and the others AREN'T at Spring Practice AND Salter too is missing, we'll be able to infer Salter was the juvenile involved.

If they all show up at Spring Practice, the rug has been lifted and the sweeper has been used.

Heh, SJT doesn't get driven by emotions. He's one of the most cool-headed, logic-based thinkers in these forums. That doesn't make him always right, but it does mean he'll pretty much always give a thought-out reply.
Thanks. And though I don't state opinions without being pretty well convinced of them... I am always open to being proven wrong or convinced of something different. In real life, I try to be careful to surround myself with good people with high moral character and commitment to our goals... who disagree with me any time they think I'm wrong. There's too much risk in thinking your own opinions are infallible.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
When Saban's players (3 or 4 of them) beat up someone, stole a credit card or something, and bought...... snacks with it???? ......only one of them ever played another down at Bama. Can't recall the kid but he sat a year at a JUCO and essentially lost that year of competition/learning but Saban let him come back, not the others.

Saban's the devil's agent but he has some standards.

VERY low standards if they are there at all. Recall just a few short years ago one of his starting OLs was found with a bag of drugs and a gun in Louisiana? Somehow Saban and company got it out of the media and pretty much made it go away. The player? Just kept right on playing.

Sorry to hear that man.
Thank you. I'm 15 years post transplant from st. Jude. I'm really all good and my wife is 20 weeks pregnant with twins, and we have a beautiful 2 year old daughter. I am blessed beyond measure.

But I'll tell you, full body radiation is no joke. I have 2 cadaver implants in my knees, my skin looks like a leopard print, and I have more scars than a stunt double, but I can run, work out, carry and play with my children, so I have zero complaints.

Thank you. I'm 15 years post transplant from st. Jude. I'm really all good and my wife is 20 weeks pregnant with twins, and we have a beautiful 2 year old daughter. I am blessed beyond measure.

But I'll tell you, full body radiation is no joke. I have 2 cadaver implants in my knees, my skin looks like a leopard print, and I have more scars than a stunt double, but I can run, work out, carry and play with my children, so I have zero complaints.
I had leukemia when I was 4 years old went through chemo. I donate to st.jude. People who went through or is going through cancer are dear to my heart. What it does to the entire family friends and community. It effects almost everyone. I'm glad to hear you made it through and wish you the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mightyvol
I had leukemia when I was 4 years old went through kemo. I donate to st.jude. People who went through or is going through cancer are dear to my heart. What it does to the entire family friends and community. It effects almost everyone. I'm glad to hear you made it through and wish you the best!
You too. It truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The kids I got to go through treatment with are some of the strongest people I've ever known. And I still talk regularly with some of my nurses and doctors. Thank you for sharing your story too.

Nope, Butchna said no robbery occurred, so these police reports have to be fake
Wasn’t in any report we were privy to beforehand. Do you always lie when your marriage is in trouble? 😏 Never understood why you and your fellow miserables get so bitter over waiting.

VN Store

Back