Players Arrested (Old news)

They are not bought in being their best to the football team. It’s a character and integrity issue and that is what we need now if the football team is ever going to be relevant again.
I can assure you if the team is to be relevant again, you don’t want a team full of choir boys.

Weed should be legal, but not a hundred percent legal. I mean, you shouldn't be able to just walk into a place, roll a joint and start puffing away. You should be able to smoke in your home or certain designated places, like weed bars. It breaks down like this: it should be legal to buy it, legal to own it, and if you are the proprietor of a weed bar, legal to sell it. It should be legal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause get a load of this, all right? If you get stopped by the cops, it will be illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Knoxville will not have.
Thanks Vincent. :)

I used to be one to think "kids make mistakes and all". Now I think this.. If these kids break rules thats been taught all their lives.. How well do they follow what coaches are teaching them playing football? Honest question.

Reactions: jim43 and VolSteve
any updates on players?

Hope they'll have some tolerance on some of these guys. Keep them on a very conditional leash.

Just wonder if Salter (or whoever the unnamed 17 year old is) would be treated differently than the others in this situation by both UT and the legal system?

Just wonder if Salter (or whoever the unnamed 17 year old is) would be treated differently than the others in this situation by both UT and the legal system?

1. Why can't this be a continuation of the conversation already running in the other two threads?

2. UT will probably treat all of them the same. They are all students of the university, subject to the same rules, honor code, code of conduct, etc. The football players will, of course, have additional bosses to answer to.

3. The legal system, however, may very well treat the 17-year-old differently. Would have to get a lawyer to tell us more about the law and how its application changes with age.

4. Back to #1...merge? Perhaps...here: Players Arrested

Last edited:
So this isn’t the other thing with the assault and theft? Geez...
It's all one incident.

Legally, no assault or theft occurred...because no one is admitting to being a victim...or more accurately, no one is admitting to being a victim of theft...the one saying he was a victim of assault can't or won't recognize anyone who might have pushed or hit him. So...no charges.

In rumor world, both occurred.

In reality, one or both may have taken place, or may not have...we'll probably never know.

Reactions: JRich and VolNExile
Trey smith is a pretty good dude but in pads he possessed l!!
Yeah, the idea that there is correlation, much less causation, between misbehavior and athletic prowess is tenuous, at best.

I mean, there is only one element of that which seems to make sense--and I noticed it in young soldiers long before I ever thought of applying it to athletes. It is the possibility that growing up under tougher conditions makes a person stronger of will, less easily deflected from goals, since all of life to that point has already been--comparatively speaking--an uphill battle. Noticed this most frequently in kids who grew up in inner cities or on farms...the two extremes of modern society.

Same idea as explored by Frank Herbert in the novel, Dune, where the imperial shock troops, the Sardaukar (spelling? been a long time since I last read that book) are intentionally recruited from a hellish world.

But that--whether in a fictional novel or in this real world we occupy--doesn't require that one have been a hoodlum. Only that they have grown up in a harsh environment that necessitated developing strength of character. In many ways, that could make a person _better_, rather than weaker, in their values.

So yeah, this whole "we want bad boys" is inaccurately linking some fairly independent variables, it seems to me.

Teenage boys are rarely angels. But that doesn't mean they have to be devils.

Last edited:
Yes.. Actually we do. Choir boys don’t make good athlete’s most of the time.

False choice. You don't need to be thug to not be a choir boy.

You want a streak of mean on the gridiron, but the discipline to know when to turn it off. Think of all the NFL All-Pros who are nasty on the field, but great citizens off it.

Yeah, the idea that there is correlation, much less causation, between misbehavior and athletic prowess is tenuous, at best.

I mean, there is only one element of that which seems to make sense--and I noticed it in young soldiers long before I ever thought of applying it to athletes. It is the possibility that growing up under tougher conditions makes a person stronger of will, less easily deflected from goals, since all of life to that point has already been--comparatively speaking--an uphill battle. Noticed this most frequently in kids who grew up in inner cities or on farms...the two extremes of modern society.

Same idea as explored by Frank Herbert in the novel, Dune, where the imperial shock troops, the Sardaukar (spelling? been a long time since I last read that book) are intentionally recruited from a hellish world.

But that--whether in a fictional novel or in this real world we occupy--doesn't require that one have been a hoodlum. Only that they have grown up in a harsh environment that necessitated developing strength of character. In many ways, that could make a person _better_, rather than weaker, in their values.

So yeah, this whole "we want bad boys" is inaccurately linking some fairly independent variables, it seems to me.

Teenage boys are rarely angels. But that doesn't mean they have to be devils.

I think the more constraints you add the harder it is to find the right people. Big, strong, fast, smart, good teammate, competitive, model citizen - pretty soon you have a pretty small pool and lots of people fishing in it. Relaxing a few constraints may seem like a way to meet the team‘s needs. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I think the more constraints you add the harder it is to find the right people. Big, strong, fast, smart, good teammate, competitive, model citizen - pretty soon you have a pretty small pool and lots of people fishing in it. Relaxing a few constraints may seem like a way to meet the team‘s needs. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.
Can't argue with that. You are absolutely right.

But your point also means that we don't want to go out intentionally looking for troublemakers, as some seem to be arguing. That would limit the pool size just as seeking only choir boys would.

It's all one incident.

Legally, no assault or theft occurred...because no one is admitting to being a victim...or more accurately, no one is admitting to being a victim of theft...the one saying he was a victim of assault can't or won't recognize anyone who might have pushed or hit him. So...no charges.

In rumor world, both occurred.

In reality, one or both may have taken place, or may not have...we'll probably never know.
The University is not confined by criminal rules of evidence or the beyond a reasonable doubt standard though, if they have sufficient cause to believe an assault and robbery occurred, they are well within their rights to conclude it occurred and dispense punishment accordingly, such as dismissal from the football team and expulsion from school. That's completely independent of a criminal prosecution. People are forgetting also, this occurred on University property so they have liabilities (to other students and their families as tenants), concerns about precedent (how would they treat a future similar case not involving football players), and leverage over the parties involved (as landlord and the ability to decide their educational future) that they would not have it occurred elsewhere. Simply put, the criminal charges may not dictate the action taken by UT in this situation and folks may talk when dealing with the consequences of not talking, starts to effect their lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackaro

VN Store

Back