Play calling with Maurer

Conservative with JG would’ve been him never getting off the bench. I’m just astounded given what we’ve seen this year that anyone would think we would benefit from opening up the offense more for JG.
Chaney calls Maurer a gym rat. That's almost always a good thing... and probably why he is picking things up faster.

We should be running as much as possible. Run run run.

Throw only on 3rd and 6 or longer, unless running a two-minute offense.

He needs the pressure off him to throw so much.
If UT had power backs then they could probably do that. They don't. This is going to have to be a pass to set up the run offense. Another reason JG missing too many plays down field cannot work.

Run, Run, pass is the best way for our offense to go absolutely no where. We don't have enough push up front and its too easy to defend. Embrace the aggressiveness
We had to come out throwing downfield to make room for the running game. The threat of our vertical game is partially why we ran the ball better.

He’s not exactly handling him with kid gloves like most OCs do with freshman. Maurer has a unique skill set that’s extremely hard to defend once he gets his decision making under control. Maurer is an aggressive qb by nature. I’m not sure he’ll ever be what we call “efficient”. The fact that Pruitt is allowing him to be so aggressive tells me they may have agreed to work out the bugs as quickly as possible. The only way to do that is exactly what he’s doing. Think about it..... 2 years from now BM should be making better decisions because the game will slow down. He’s the kind of qb that can hang 30 on you by halftime if you’re not careful as a defense. Which would just about match up with Pruitt getting his defense corrected. A shut down defense along with an explosive offense?....... it does make sense. Js
There is a term: GUNSLINGER. This is what you describe QBs like Mauer. He believes he can complete a pass when no other QBs would try it! Brett Favre mentality!

Reactions: cgrish
No one is saying Maurer should play timid. They are saying Chaney should call a smart game, one that plays to the team's, and Maurer's, strengths.

Having Maurer throw it every down is NOT playing to his strengths. Nor to the team's.

Yeah, you know more than Chaney. That is why you are making more than 1.5 million a year to call plays. Is that right? A lot of you show your COMPLETE STUPIDITY by acting like you can coach better than the coaching staff!!!

Maurer is the future, JG is not. One QB has a full playbook at their disposal, one QB has a few plays at his disposal. Chaney knows JG is gone and its time to work on the replacement.
Of the current QBs, Maurer seems to be the one who can run the best offense. This experience this year will certainly prepare him for next year to produce a much more efficient game plan. With HB enrolling early next year, the offense will be in the best shape it has been in years. Spring and Fall practices at the QB position next year will be very competitive and may the best man win. With the defense coming sround and with the next recruiting class, things are really looking up for Tennessee football.

If UT had power backs then they could probably do that. They don't. This is going to have to be a pass to set up the run offense. Another reason JG missing too many plays down field cannot work.
They have one from Maryville committed. He should fill the void.

We had to come out throwing downfield to make room for the running game. The threat of our vertical game is partially why we ran the ball better.

EXACTLY my point. Run, Run, pass is the most boring and predictable play calling in all of football. Not many play callers make it far calling those types of plays. The ones that do it successfully have the best olines in football.

Reactions: hUTch2002
EXACTLY my point. Run, Run, pass is the most boring and predictable play calling in all of football. Not many play callers make it far calling those types of plays. The ones that do it successfully have the best olines in football.
Oh dear.

Well, dont whine when our defense is gassed midway through the 3rd quarter anytime we play a decent team.

Well pass,pass,pass doesn't work either. You got to do both if your going to competitive in this league. I do agree you can't be predictable in either though, because a good D will figure it out quick.GBO!!!

Well pass,pass,pass doesn't work either. You got to do both if your going to competitive in this league. I do agree you can't be predictable in either though, because a good D will figure it out quick.GBO!!!

Where did I mention pass, pass, pass? I agree with you on mixing it up and doing both. When you mix it up, you can rely on one making the other one more successful. You must keep the defense guessing and not be predictable.

Oh dear.

Well, dont whine when our defense is gassed midway through the 3rd quarter anytime we play a decent team.

So you don't think that a mixture of passes and runs is the best game plan? mmmmkayyyyy

Lets be predictable and limit our team even more!!! I get it.

I'm glad some on here aren't coaching, talk about timid. Our offensive line is blocking pretty well, and some want to limit Mauer and the playbook. We are finally throwing downfield to our playmakers because we have someone that can actually see them and some folks want to scale it back. Good grief, GBO!!!!!!!

Maurer was 6-7 against State in a half. 2 were to the wrong colored jersey, but only one hit the ground. We weren't exactly lighting it up on offense. Whatever passing yards we got were a direct result of being able to run the football. Slants and throws to the tight end accounted for 3 of the 4 completions to guys in the orange jerseys. It wasn't downfield so much as yards after catch. JG hit the one long one down the sideline. That's it.

I don't want to scale it back. It is scaled back.

I think we all agree on this. Do you know why JG’s pass to Byrd worked? Because the D thought for sure we would run the ball there. Hell, we all thought it. That was a simple and great play call and nice execution.

So you don't think that a mixture of passes and runs is the best game plan?

Yes. That's what run run pass is. A mixture of passes and runs.

I think we all agree on this. Do you know why JG’s pass to Byrd worked? Because the D thought for sure we would run the ball there. Hell, we all thought it. That was a simple and great play call and nice execution.

Exactly.

Reactions: hUTch2002
pass, run, pass is
Yes. That's what run run pass is. A mixture of passes and runs.

Exactly.

pass, run, pass or pass, pass, run or pass, run run is also a mixture.

The guy I originally responded to said run on first and second downs and pass on third and long. (edit; you ARE the guy I responded to originally, Wow make up your mind)

So the pass from JG to Byrd worked, yes, on SECOND DOWN. Which further proves the point that run, run, pass is not the answer.

First down was Jordan rush to the right for 1yard. The defense expected us to run again (run, run) and that's why the pass on second down worked.

Its not rocket science but its nor nearly as difficult as some of yall make it out to be

Thanks for proving my point!! :cool:

pass, run, pass is

pass, run, pass or pass, pass, run or pass, run run is also a mixture.

The guy I originally responded to said run on first and second downs and pass on third and long.

So the pass from JG to Byrd worked, yes, on SECOND DOWN. Which further proves the point that run, run, pass is not the answer.

First down was Jordan rush to the right for 1yard. The defense expected us to run again (run, run) and that's why the pass on second down worked.

Its not rocket science but its not nearly as difficult as some of yall make it out to be

Thanks for proving my point!! :cool:
Yes and so is run run pass. You must be the brains of the family

or get sent to Kansas

Reactions: cbatey1
Yes and so is run run pass. You must be the brains of the family

Calling plays like run run pass, is predictable, meaning the defense knows when you are gona run and they also know when you are going to pass. The defense does not need to know if you are gona run or pass. Example if they know you are gona run they will stack the line of scrimmige and shut down your run game, if they don't know what you are going to do it will make the run game much more productive.

Reactions: cbatey1
I think he is play calling this way not just for next year, but for the remainder of this year as well as next year. He knows if he can correct Maurers mistakes such as throwing into double coverage, he knows he can really open up the playbook with Maurer, and we will score a lot of points.
Even the most experienced of QB's, in the SEC, have hot reads, dump doens and safety valve's. They serve their purpose, for the most part. sometimes they turn into big gainers, and sometimes EVEN TD"S.

VN Store

Back