Pittsburgh Recap.

Top 5 is my prediction. There will be a night or 2 where we will be off and lay an egg. It happens to the best of teams.

1. Tennessee has a solid case to make for being ranked Number One. Nobody has accomplished more to this point.
2. Pitt isn't as good as they were two years ago. After seeing their lack of perimeter quickness up close, I'm hard pressed to see them as a Final Four team.
3. Karron Abraham is as much fun to watch as any player in America. Here's hoping Robert Morris wins the Northeast so he gets another crack at the NCAA Tournament.
4. West Virginia has bigger ballhandling problems than Tennessee. If they make the NCAAs, it'll be one of Huggs' better coaching efforts.
5. Rutgers will be in the top third of the Big East in two years. Mike Rice is going to win huge there.
6. Tony Barbee will do well at Auburn, but it's going to take awhile. Their roster wouldn't be good in the SWAC.
7. If you want to gauge how good the Big East is or isn't, check where St. John's lands in the standings. If they are in the top half, the league isn't very good.
8. One of the best coaching jobs of the year is being done by Steve Donahue. Boston College is winning far more than their roster merits.
9. Pittsburgh's a neat city. I could see why someone would live here.
10. Jeremy Foley has taken leave of his senses. He just hired a slightly more polished version of Ed Orgeron to be the head coach of one of the Cadillac programs in college football.

My only complaint:
UT needs to allow teams to hang around a little longer. Once the game got out of hand the television coverage turned into a ten minute debate on Slive, Pearl and the NCAA infractions.

This is easily Pearl's best coaching job to date. The defense is solid and the half court O is much improved.

Foley has lost his mind. I think he's spent too much time with Urban.

Last edited:
was it me or did the commentators go for Pitts really good and should handle the vols, to well i guess pitt was over rated? it wasn't till the very end that they finally starting saying that tennesse was good. it just bugs me that Pearl never gets credit, sec writers picked us to finish 4th in the east. Pearl puts together a good game plan, yet pitt sucks and we are lucky or whatever.

Thanks for the report. I suppose Florida is too proud to wait on any coach. I figure they probably asked Stoops and maybe another guy and Stoops said no and the other guy told them he would have to think about it.Soley basing this on the fact how not to hire a coach as Hamilton did with his search , although Dooley seems to be the right fit (for now).

I don't think they deserve to be number 1. Duke is the defending champ and has yet to lose this year.

This season's rankings should be based on what teams accomplish this season, not what they did last season.

5. Rutgers will be in the top third of the Big East in two years. Mike Rice is going to win huge there.

I'm intrigued by Rice at Rutgers. I also didn't realize Jimmy Martelli was an assistant under Rice.

Oakland gave MSt all they wanted.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Fortunately, Oakland is in as big a letdown situation as we are. Charlotte, on the other hand, is gonna be tough. Hopefully we have revenge on the mind against Southern Cal, or they may be too.

This season's rankings should be based on what teams accomplish this season, not what they did last season.

Not really. The rankings should be about who the voters believe, at that moment, to be the best team in the country.

Not really. The rankings should be about who the voters believe, at that moment, to be the best team in the country.

Papa, I think you and Hat should race to see who hits 50k posts first.

Winner buys the other the first round. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, just realized Hat is 3k short, thought his was at 49k too.

Agreed. UT has a great case, but if UT were to go into Duke right now to play, I doubt they are the favorite. Of course Irving going out sure brings them back to everyone else a little.

Charlotte is terrible.

Ah, have they gone down this year? I was just thinking trap game on the road against a team that's usually halfway decent. But I didn't actually check to see if they were actually halfway decent this year.

I think you're both right. The polls should be about how is the best team in the country. Early in the season, that means you go based on your feelings about the teams' relative strengths. But the longer the season goes on, the more you have to override your initial opinion with what's actually been done on the court. By mid-January, it should be a pure resume-poll.

$.02

I think you're both right. The polls should be about how is the best team in the country. Early in the season, that means you go based on your feelings about the teams' relative strengths. But the longer the season goes on, the more you have to override your initial opinion with what's actually been done on the court. By mid-January, it should be a pure resume-poll.

$.02

I don't disagree with voting happenings on the court, but that isn't all encompassing all the time. Duke shouldn't be penalized because they haven't played a game as tough as ours in Pitt. They have a better team than we do. Hat said we have an argument, and we do, but that's not to say that we're the top team in the land.

Fortunately, Oakland is in as big a letdown situation as we are. Charlotte, on the other hand, is gonna be tough. Hopefully we have revenge on the mind against Southern Cal, or they may be too.

I am currently a student at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and going to the game at Time Warner Cable Arena on Friday.

This UNCC team is terrible, they lost alot of players when Bobby Lutz was fired. Tennessee will absolutely dominate this game. I predict a 40 point margin of victory. There is no need to worry about this game.

GBO!!!!! :peace2:

I don't disagree with voting happenings on the court, but that isn't all encompassing all the time. Duke shouldn't be penalized because they haven't played a game as tough as ours in Pitt. They have a better team than we do. Hat said we have an argument, and we do, but that's not to say that we're the top team in the land.

Agreed. At this point in the season, we don't have enough data to go pure resume poll. But we're shifting from predictions (pre-season) to resume, which should be fully in place in a month or two. I think #3 is the right place for UT right now.

Hat agree with you on 9, hope you were able to get out and about this past Sunday. I do miss living in Columbus, a lot of that has to do with getting around on the roads.

VN Store

Back