Pitt Jordan Addison enters portal

We get Bru and Addison plus a couple more defensive guys(quality back ups maybe starters) WE ARE BACK!

Addison is a long shot but if he isn't committed to USC in the next 12 hours I think we're still at the table.

I truly don't think we could be stopped on offense.

We still moved the ball really well on the two best teams in the country last year in year one

Bring everyone back plus Bru and the Bilitnikoff winner. Are you kidding me!?
Missing elite blocking and an elite RB, but yeah our passing game would be filthy. Probably even better than last year (Addison/Bru vs Velus/Payton is tough...but gotta go with the Bilenikoff winner here and Hooker in Y2 as much as I love what Velus and Payton brought to the table).

notbad-basketball.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Missing elite blocking and an elite RB, but yeah our passing game would be filthy. Probably even better than last year (Addison/Bru vs Velus/Payton is tough...but gotta go with the Bilenikoff winner here and Hooker in Y2 as much as I love what Velus and Payton brought to the table).
Hope you are wrong about the blocking. They should be better if not "elite".

I know I'm in the minority, but like Small at RB. I think we are pretty good with our RBs

Hope you are wrong about the blocking. They should be better if not "elite".
Hopefully we aren't expecting "elite" with Mincey...Wright...and Davis. Don't see a day 1-2 guy there. Elite blocking, in my mind, is something like a Bama OL with 2 bookend 5* 1st-2nd rounders.

Idk if we are better than last year. We lost Cade ofc. The rest will get older and hopefully better. Hope we do, though I could see a similar OL...which fwiw was just fine, though not great.

Yeah with those guys in our system it masks our average line and RB's.

I know I'm in the minority, but like Small at RB. I think we are pretty good with our RBs
Oh I think we're "fine". He indeed was pretty good last year, but now is coming off injury...how many minutes he'll play early on is in question. But in no way would I consider him anywhere near elite. We don't have a stud back, I think most would agree.

Reactions: vols 30
I would love to add this kid. How crazy would it be, going from disappointment of kid that flipped from us to Texas, to adding the Biletnikof Award winner pair him with Tillman, if both stay healthy. We could have 2 WRs go in 1st round with Addison and Tillman.

As most have said if he leaves Pitt, that alone is a win for us, in helping us secure that victory in Sept

Reactions: BigSteve09
Yeah with those guys in our system it masks our average line and RB's.
Idk if it does. If we ran a quick pass system or Leach's air raid, then sure. But, just being genuine, I believe our offense plays heavily toward the big plays. We DO need the big shots and therefore blocking. Sacks Allowed was our biggest weakness last year. Part of that was on HH too.

But I agree partly on RBs. Our scheme is so run-friendly that it really helps. But if we had an elite RB in THIS offense...yeah we really would be unstoppable.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Oh I think we're "fine". He indeed was pretty good last year, but now is coming off injury...how many minutes he'll play early on is in question. But in no way would I consider him anywhere near elite. We don't have a stud back, I think most would agree.

I agree about not having a stud back, but I think 3 guys rushing for 600 yards + this coming year works too.

Hopefully we aren't expecting "elite" with Mincey...Wright...and Davis. Don't see a day 1-2 guy there. Elite blocking, in my mind, is something like a Bama OL with 2 bookend 5* 1st-2nd rounders.

Idk if we are better than last year. We lost Cade ofc. The rest will get older and hopefully better. Hope we do, though I could see a similar OL...which fwiw was just fine, though not great.
I think Mizzou was "elite" a few years back without stars. They opened holes and didn't give up sacks. Honestly, I don't care personally if they send guys to the NFL if they get the job done for UT.

I wasn't impressed that much with Cade. I believe he missed more games than he played.

Wright wasn't great or terrible at LT. They apparently felt good enough about the other options to move him back to RT.

PS- we're kind of picking nits with regard to the OL. Should we really complain about a unit that blocked well enough to go from the bottom of the SEC in virtually every category to top 3 in rushing/passing/total offense?

I agree about not having a stud back, but I think 3 guys rushing for 600 yards + this coming year works too.
For sure. This offense will not lack for production regardless, which is why I'd happily trade most spots for defense. The offense doesn't even need that much talent. But the more the merrier!!

Reactions: vols 30
PS- we're kind of picking nits with regard to the OL. Should we really complain about a unit that blocked well enough to go from the bottom of the SEC in virtually every category to top 3 in rushing/passing/total offense?
Those are volume stats, which are skewed to our high-play offense (opposite of analyzing our defense). We were indeed 2nd in passing efficiency. 4th in overall offense. But only 7th in rushing (note sacks are included and a good reason why), so we have room to upgrade. And we did that in spite of a so-so OL performance. It was decent, don't get me wrong. But far from elite. We have room to get much better, as Y2 in the offense will prove.

People have been discussing how we go from 40 ppg to 50. That's where it begins. That and 3rd down conversion and short yardage situations. That's on the OL to a large degree. 44 sacks (124th nationally - though tempo adjusted this is probably more like ~average) is one of our biggest weaknesses (note this offense doesn't have much afa weakness go). That would be my first upgrade point. Take fewer sacks and negative plays and that makes a huge difference in games vs Bama, UGA, UF, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Idk if it does. If we ran a quick pass system or Leach's air raid, then sure. But, just being genuine, I believe our offense plays heavily toward the big plays. We DO need the big shots and therefore blocking. Sacks Allowed was our biggest weakness last year. Part of that was on HH too.

But I agree partly on RBs. Our scheme is so run-friendly that it really helps. But if we had an elite RB in THIS offense...yeah we really would be unstoppable.
Most definitely. One elite RB with all those other guys...good luck.

Even with just our current group of RB's though we may not be a total juggernaut, but add Addison and Bru and we easily still score enough points against Bama and UGA to keep it close in the end. I'll go out on that limb.

VN Store

Back