Pitiful

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
That was a pitiful outing tonight. We fell apart at crunch time, letting clemson's talking get into our heads.

Congrats to Clemson, they had a good gameplan.

I am just thankful we didn't do that against UF or Bama. I couldn't have handled that again. LOL

I'm glad I had to work yesterday, because I'd be buying a new TV today. :banghead: Maybe Mike Hamilton should have waited on that raise for Fulmer and his staff.

I need a drink....see ya'll in '04. :beer:

Well, I'm gonna be honest y'all. Beating UF, Miami, and Bama was better to me than any old bowl game. I'm disappointed over ANY loss, but let's not scrap the whole season over one ol' bowl game.

He makes a lot of valid points, but, as I've said before, the MNC is the ONLY bowl game that really matters. Sure, I know recruits watch, money is paid out, blah, blah, blah, but corporate America is really who the bowls are for. And as for the Vols being overrated as stated in his article, I'd leave that classification for his journalistic abilities. Screw him. Pardon my language. I wonder what he'd have written if the Vols had WON?

I agree that most bowl games are pretty much meaningless but the fans who spend their time and money to support this team deserve more than we have seen the last couple of years. I am still pretty ticked about that game.

It isn't the losing the upsets everyone, it is the way we tend to lose. It's one thing when two prize fighters go at it for 15 rounds and someone has to lose. It is quite another thing when one fighter fails to show up for the fight.

That is Tennessee's MO in too many games. They simply don't get off the bus. I'm not even accusing them of not trying. Just that their play looks like they don't belong in the game.

Let's not forget that this was not a great team we were playing. Another second rate ACC team that blew us out of the water.

A lot people (particularly coaches who immediately dismiss themselves of any responsibility) are now saying that we don't have the talent we once did. I think that is partially true. However, are there 74 teams in the country with better talent on offense than us? How about in 2001. Were there 44 teams in the coutry with batter talent than us.

My personal opinion is that we are seeing our faults unmasked. We simply don't have a great coaching staff. Talent will usually mask most of this. But when the talent has holes, our football team's holes get maginifed worse than what they probably are.

Now don't anyone jum the gun. I think Fulmer is a good OVERALL coach, but there are a lot of elements that go into being a good college coach. It's the parts about actual football that I think Fulmer and parts of his staff are lacking in. If you don't agree with me, then just ask the two NFL guys that were on sportstalk saying the same general thing.

I give him full credit for having a solid program. The frustrating part is watching - NOT JUST THIS YEAR - team after team that could and should be so much better.

ahhhh

-VS

The talent is there, but it's overused. You have got to give the QB, and others on the offense a chance to rest and not wear them out to quickly. :bad:
How often do does the 2nd and 3rd string get used? Not often enough. I blame the coaching staff for that and not going through the roster and letting ALL the players get a chance.

Vol-Star I agree with what you are saying. But you have to remember our offense is so complicated that we really have to tone it down to just 2 or 3 plays so that our players can grasp it. If we try and run more creative plays it will just confuse the players and result in mass chaos. Therefore the sign of a really good coaching staff is one that is able to dumb it down so that everyone can follow along. Granted one of the problems with this is that opposing defenses can also figure it out. Players have to be on the team for a minimun of 2 full years before they can even grasp the pass blocking schemes...aka Jamal Lewis and Gerald Riggs. And take the receivers as another example. You can't expect these guys to come right out of high school and be able to run the 4 or 5 basic routes that we use in our system. They have to run through them thousands and thousands of times and even then they will still make mistakes. I mean who can keep it all striaght between posts, slants, and curls. Most QB's are NEVER able to come close to figuring out our offense. That is why you never our second string QB in the game. He would have no clue beyond what the snap count is. Only a couple of QBs in the nation can even begin to even understand the complexities of this high octane offense that we run. As you could tell from this year our lineman on both sides of the ball really still weren't sure what they were supposed to be doing. Apparently the defensive lineman were trying to block and the offensive lineman were tying to get around their man. It's a common mistake that could happen to anyone.

In case my sarcasm doesn't come through LOUD enough...I am making fun.

Originally posted by EdMan34@Jan 5 2004, 04:26 PM
The talent is there, but it's overused. You have got to give the QB, and others on the offense a chance to rest and not wear them out to quickly. :bad:
How often do does the 2nd and 3rd string get used? Not often enough. I blame the coaching staff for that and not going through the roster and letting ALL the players get a chance.

All we are sayin',
is give Cooter a chance . . . . :rocks:

VN Store

Back