Pick our Rivals #3

Who would you pick as a permanent OOC rival for the Vols?

• Clemson

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Florida State

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Georgia Tech

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • Memphis

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 33 15.0%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Texas

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • Virginia Tech

Votes: 40 18.2%
  • Other (Sewanee, Cumberland, Michigan, UCLA, Syracuse (orange v orange), etc.)

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters
Ga Tech would be cool because of the history and I'm a big fan of the history of things.
Va Tech because if the "border battle".
But teams that get us into recruiting hot spots are good choices too...for that reason I went with Notre Dame because they easily recruit nationwide...well and the fact I'm a short 3-4 hour drive and could see my Vols an extra time every other year.

Think Virginia Tech would be a very nice rivarly if the Vols ever adopted a OOC rival

Ohio State. I'd like to kick their *ss every year.
That there is funny, I don't care who you are..!!!
Someday...maybe...when the games we're already playing against Georgia and Bama are "toss-up's"...yea..that would be a great time to put Ohio State on the OOC list every year.
As it is...let's focus on being able to reliably count on a WIN against Vandy for the program's immediate future.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
By popular request, who would you pick as a permanent, every-year, out-of-conference rival?

I can't list all 65 Power5 schools, it only allows up to 10 choices. So apologies if I didn't get your favorite listed...I tried to pick ones that had some rhyme or reason behind them. :)

Me, I'd go with Notre Dame. The series is perfectly tied with them, I think, at 5-5...they're a significant school...they're non-affiliated most of the time...and we and they have history.

But there are a lot of good options here. What's your favorite?

ND,, Hell No!! Let them find other ways to make the play-offs. Even if they loose to ANYBODY the press will find a way to make it look like a great loss that helps them make it to the play-offs. As we have seen in the past, the press will find a way to force the powers that be to put them in.

Ohio State. I'd like to kick their *ss every year.

Wouldn't happen. Having them and Bama would be really tough on any team. (wonder how often you might beat both in any one season) Remember, there are other pretty big, tough, deep teams we have ever year right here in the SEC. No need to go looking for another big, tough, deep team to have to look at every year. Not saying look for a patsy, but not a year in year out top five bunch.

Wouldn't happen. Having them and Bama would be really tough on any team. (wonder how often you might beat both in any one season) Remember, there are other pretty big, tough, deep teams we have ever year right here in the SEC. No need to go looking for another big, tough, deep team to have to look at every year. Not saying look for a patsy, but not a year in year out top five bunch.

I was dreaming of a day when we were actually good again.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I was dreaming of a day when we were actually good again.

I am not sure anyone will get that good again. I feel the new transfer rule will prohibit teams (yes Bama, OH. ST. Clem etc.) from ever keeping enough talent one the bench to build the kind of depth needed to successfully build and maintain the kind of program to play the type schedule you suggest.

You get better by playing better teams.
That's actually not true.

You get better by getting better. Recruiting better talent, developing that talent better in the weight room, developing better on the practice field, organizing better, and leading better (smarter) on Saturdays.

Playing better teams without all that other stuff first, you just get beat more.

Look back at our last twelve years for proof of the point. We've played plenty of great teams, right? That sure didn't make us better.

We've got everything we need to get back to the mix for championships at the top tier of the college game. But it's gonna take all those steps, meticulously, year after year, nose to the grindstone, ratcheting ourselves back up toward the top. Simply playing a hard schedule isn't how we get there. All those other things I listed are how we get there.

Having said that, I'm all for keeping hard OOC teams on our schedule. Especially when we're back to being competitive with them.

Go Vols!

p.s. Just realized I wasn't as clear as I could be. For now, we should play OOC teams that are an "achievable reach." A reasonable challenge, a game with a real chance of victory for either team. For now, Pitt is about right. Maybe next year, a Texas Tech or West Virginia. Year after that, Texas or Michigan. If Josh Heupel's the right guy for the job, then in three or four years give us Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtnvol80
I pick whoever is easiest. Sorry, UT isn't what it use to be and is almost an embarrassment to rep. Let's pick Clemson or OSU and get our teeth kicked in every year. We got better after getting beat by OU and Oregon before that.........SMH
As if getting hammered by Bama UGA and UF isn't bad enough already. Hopefully things change, but I was hopeful about the last 5 HCs since 08...... thank God for the baseball team.

That's actually not true.

You get better by getting better. Recruiting better talent, developing that talent better in the weight room, developing better on the practice field, organizing better, and leading better (smarter) on Saturdays.

Playing better teams without all that other stuff first, you just get beat more.

Look back at our last twelve years for proof of the point. We've played plenty of great teams, right? That sure didn't make us better.

We've got everything we need to get back to the mix for championships at the top tier of the college game. But it's gonna take all those steps, meticulously, year after year, nose to the grindstone, ratcheting ourselves back up toward the top. Simply playing a hard schedule isn't how we get there. All those other things I listed are how we get there.

Having said that, I'm all for keeping hard OOC teams on our schedule. Especially when we're back to being competitive with them.

Go Vols!

p.s. Just realized I wasn't as clear as I could be. For now, we should play OOC teams that are an "achievable reach." A reasonable challenge, a game with a real chance of victory for either team. For now, Pitt is about right. Maybe next year, a Texas Tech or West Virginia. Year after that, Texas or Michigan. If Josh Heupel's the right guy for the job, then in three or four years give us Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

I played rugby for 26 years. I can tell you for a fact you get better playing better teams. I first started with a relatively new club, and one of the seasoned players who scheduled matches said that and did so. It doesn’t take long to get tired of getting your *ss kicked, so if you are TRULY competitive, you work harder to become better. Plus you get the added benefit of seeing and emulating what good players and teams do to be successful. If you continually play teams on par with your level there is really no incentive to get better.

In one of my earlier posts in this thread I said I was dreaming when we were good again, so I tend to agree with your p.s.

Memphis-- because we should sign a few players out of there every year. And because it's usually an easy win.
That was the Memphis of some years ago...but the Memphis team of the last few seasons could score a LOT of points, and likely would have embarrassed us. Their product has improved as our's has stumbled. Hopefully, that trend will reverse.

VN Store

Back