Phil On Rankings

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
from Chris Low:
Fulmer, long considered one of the country's best recruiting head coaches, insists that he doesn't feel any pressure to take a player just because he's highly rated.
"We're going to make the decision independently," he said. "I didn't know anything about where our guys were rated until just a couple of days ago when somebody handed me something from everybody in the league. I said, 'Well, that's pretty good. We've got some guys that everybody else thinks is pretty good. I hope they're pretty good.'

Does anybody really believe that Phil didnt know where these recruitis were ranked until a few days ago? Stone Cold Liar.

I don't think he was lying as much he was downplaying it.

I like his quote "We've got some guys that everybody else thinks is pretty good. I hope they're pretty good."

That pretty much tells me that he hasn't CROWNED any of the players. Make them earn it.

I just refuse to believe that Phil has no idea how these guys like Chris Donald and Eric Berry are rated.

I seriously doubt any coach goes to Scout or Rivals and makes a decision based off that website's rankings.

let's see Z06, please point out where I stated that I believe that coaches make decisions after checking out Rivals or Scout? If you will pay a little bit closer attention you will discover that I only said that I believe that Phil knew aboout their ratings. Let me guess, you went to school in South Carolina?

It was an exaggeration, there genius. Is it not possible that UT has their own score sheet and they just might base their recruiting from that?

This thread is just another weak attempt to take another shot at Fulmer.

I don't think he was lying as much he was downplaying it.
I agree with JW. I don't doubt that he knew about their rankings, especially with newspapers and such, but I don't think he is going to come out and say, "Oh boy I am excited, we gots us bunches of 5* and 4* players. We's gonna be good next year."

For a change, I agree with Fulmer on this one. We will see how good they are come spring.

To bad it took losing a future butkus winner from a little town north of huntingdon before fulmer considers guys that didn't play at a 4 or 5 A classification school.

Recruiting services came into existence for coaches, and then discovered they could make a pile of money from fools like me.

You are misguided if you do not think every college coach in America is not tuned into a recruiting service somewhere.

It is totally possible that coaches discount the rankings just as we discount scout.The argument has been made that not all good high school players make good collegiate players. So while I do not believe that they dont know, it is not out of the realm of possibility:twocents:

It is totally possible that coaches discount the rankings just as we discount scout.The argument has been made that not all good high school players make good collegiate players. So while I do not believe that they dont know, it is not out of the realm of possibility:twocents:
I think that they are aware of the rankings, but I highly doubt that they use that in there decision making process about whether or not to recruit a kid and offer him a scholarship.

Recruiting services came into existence for coaches, and then discovered they could make a pile of money from fools like me.

You are misguided if you do not think every college coach in America is not tuned into a recruiting service somewhere.

Call me misguided then. Aware, yes...tuned into...doubtful.

i would find it hard to believe that he didn't know something about how they were rated. they have to know.....they know who they are recruiting against, and they do their own evaluations.

now how much do they pay attention to rankings etc....i don't know. i would doubt they REALLY pay attention to rankings as much as they do who else they are competing with for a particular individual.

they do their own talent evals, go out based on need and recruit....i don't think they rely solely on these services, but i too would have hard time believing that they never checked out a video or read a bio on a kid off of one of these websites.....

I don't think Fulmer did...but his recruiters? Maybe. The recruiting coordinator is the one that looks this kids up, right?

genius

from Chris Low:
Fulmer, long considered one of the country's best recruiting head coaches, insists that he doesn't feel any pressure to take a player just because he's highly rated.
"We're going to make the decision independently," he said. "I didn't know anything about where our guys were rated until just a couple of days ago when somebody handed me something from everybody in the league. I said, 'Well, that's pretty good. We've got some guys that everybody else thinks is pretty good. I hope they're pretty good.'

Does anybody really believe that Phil didnt know where these recruitis were ranked until a few days ago? Stone Cold Liar.

If that's the case, he must be watching high school film 8-10 hrs a day. To come up with his own player evaluations.

Maybe he knows who the top 500 high school prospects are and doesn't care what their specific rank is in that group only that they are a top high school player and he likes their film/stats. Thats the only sense I can make out of it.

VN Store

Back