PFF Ranks Guarantano 21st out of 130 QBs in the Country

Titans4Vols

21. Tennessee: Jarrett Guarantano

During the 2018 season, Guarantano’s performance against Kentucky was the highest-graded single-game outing among returning quarterbacks. He showcased what made him such a highly-touted recruit as the No. 1 dual-threat QB from New Jersey and the No. 2 player overall from his state. His marked improvement from 2017 to 2018 gives reason for hope of a big season in Knoxville this year.

For the full 130:

PFF Rankings: College starting quarterback rankings for 2019 | College Football and NFL Draft | PFF

source.gif

That's probably about right. If I bothered to rate every QB in college football, I'd likely have him at a similar ranking. In the SEC, Tua and Fromm are above JG right now, but you can make a case for him versus any other SEC QB.

Burrow is also underrated based on my stats. Difficult to rank Kelly Bryant right now but he also might be up there. I'd debate between JG, Burrow, and Bryant for the 3rd best QB in the SEC.

Bentley, Franks, and Mond are a bit overrated. Bentley and Mond make too many big mistakes. Franks' numbers don't look as good when you start diving deep into them. His O-line stats were great (in spite of Florida fans constantly saying his O-line was bad; the evidence says Florida's OL was one of the best in the SEC last year). Given that, Franks' numbers are actually not that impressive; most of the real improvement came on the OL for Florida.

So I think you can make the case the JG is somewhere around the #3 to #5 best QB in the SEC right now.

PFF had Russell Wilson, and Matt Ryan in their 2018 NFL preseason top 5. Which probably makes sense if you are basing your rankings on criteria like "most successful passing attempts during a full moon."

They collect a lot of statistical information, but I'd say their pre-season extrapolations are suslect at best. Didn't their previous pre-season list of returning SEC QBs have JG ranked above Joe Burrow?

Reactions: sjt18
How do they calculate his marked improvement if he didn’t even start the whole year of 2017?

Felepie Franks is 40th and Florida fans swear he better than JG.
As long as he continues to shred our defense like last year vs how our offense did they'll keep saying it unfortunately.

PFF had Russell Wilson, and Matt Ryan in their 2018 NFL preseason top 5. Which probably makes sense if you are basing your rankings on criteria like "most successful passing attempts during a full moon."

They collect a lot of statistical information, but I'd say their pre-season extrapolations are suslect at best. Didn't their previous pre-season list of returning SEC QBs have JG ranked above Joe Burrow?

Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan essentially were top 5 Qbs last year. So....

Reactions: k-town_king
Man, I wished the media would do away with these rankings of JG. Not saying he isn't worthy but with rankings and expectations comes the possibility of undue stress of living up to the hype and attention. Just want him focused on what he can control.

Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan essentially were top 5 Qbs last year. So....

Based on what? In regular season total QBR Ryan might be inside the top 10, maybe, but Wilson sure wasn't, neither would be in the top 5.

Ryan was 9th in QBR, and Wilson was 11th. However, Wilson ranked 3rd in traditional passer rating, and Ryan was 4th. Make of that what you will.

I hope they're right.

But if he is that good (or better since his physical talent can take him there) then it won't be because of what he's proven but how much he's improved. Extrapolating a season with low production and good percentages... just doesn't work.

That said, i am highly encouraged by the comments Weinke made. For the benefit of the cult (including High Priest k-town), Weinke mentioned areas in which JG had done a "great job" of improving... almost all of the things he mentioned were specific criticisms of his past play by others and me that you all denied. If he was already as great as you claimed then being challenged on decisions speed wouldn't be necessary. Improving his pre-snap reads wouldn't be an issue. And if he were already there... why would Weinke dwell so much on how hard (and successfully) he had worked on those things?

Yeah... I'm poking those guys in the eye... but I am genuinely excited by the signs Weinke gave. JG's physical talent has always been good. It sounds like all of the QB's have improved and all have done a nice job avoiding turnovers while learning to be productive. Really good stuff.

That's probably about right. If I bothered to rate every QB in college football, I'd likely have him at a similar ranking. In the SEC, Tua and Fromm are above JG right now, but you can make a case for him versus any other SEC QB.

Burrow is also underrated based on my stats. Difficult to rank Kelly Bryant right now but he also might be up there. I'd debate between JG, Burrow, and Bryant for the 3rd best QB in the SEC.

Bentley, Franks, and Mond are a bit overrated. Bentley and Mond make too many big mistakes. Franks' numbers don't look as good when you start diving deep into them. His O-line stats were great (in spite of Florida fans constantly saying his O-line was bad; the evidence says Florida's OL was one of the best in the SEC last year). Given that, Franks' numbers are actually not that impressive; most of the real improvement came on the OL for Florida.

So I think you can make the case the JG is somewhere around the #3 to #5 best QB in the SEC right now.
Tua got exposed in games he was pressured last year. He isn’t even in the top 5 in the SEC in my worthless opinion.

Based on what? In regular season total QBR Ryan might be inside the top 10, maybe, but Wilson sure wasn't, neither would be in the top 5.

Wilson ended the season ranked 6th in PFF rankings. Ryan ranked 10th. However, in traditional passer ratings, they ranked 3rd and 4th respectively. Both had a 35:7 TD:INT ratio, which ranked 3rd in the league.

Outside of a few "fans" of his own team, most see how successful he was relative to the performances around him.

Good lord man. Are you jg? Or a family member? Serious question. Jg is absolutely terrible. His stats are decent because he always checks down and never takes any chances with the football. But you have to take chances to win games. The qb touches the ball on every play and has the biggest single impact on the outcome of a game of any player. By a long shot. And our team has been absolutely terrible with him at the helm. If jg had completed the td pass at the end of the half, not slid down short of the sticks on our third drive, and not checked down short if the sticks 4 or 5 times today we win that game. It was such a typical Jg game. Jg is maybe the worst qb I’ve ever seen play here. Time for someone else to get a shot

VN Store

Back