PFF grades against Vanderbilt

Question for those in the know?
the Pro Football Focus (PFF)

Do they have people going through every game film grading or is it by regional groups or do they assign one person to a team or conference?
Do you see where i'm going. this could be so subjective it is basically useless.
I can see how they do it on 32 NFL teams BUT
130 college teams not counting the FCS & NAIA

Reactions: davethevol
Gray made one cut and outran everyone. I mean, it was nice, but he didn't have to do much as big as those holes were.

Yep. Those were some holes. If someone wants to see what an Elite back looks like, watch the Kid from lsu and the Auburn RB who ran over the Bama Star Safety on his way to the endzone. When defenders have a back dead to rights and he somehow breaks through, that's Elite. (See Jauan Jennings)

Yep, holes made by average/little above average o-line play......

....on below average defensive players.

Just because you can win a game of Children's Trivial Pursuit doesn't mean you're great at the real version.

Not to mention, a few plays don't make a whole game. For instance, Tim Jordan didn't have near the success as Gray.

Wanya has been battling a shoulder injury. He had to come out of a game for it and missed a whole game for it. Tough to deal with as a Freshman SEC LT. He'll be fine.

Reactions: savannahfan
Whose the OP? Do you live in a legal marijuana state?
You lost me at 81 for Gray.
Gray’s performance was a 96 or better by any rational performance scoring system. 246 yards on 22 attempts and 3 TDs. It beat Lewis’ record, it won SEC freshman of the week honors.
In case you missed it, the same line blocked for Jordan who averaged two yards.
Go back to the circle my friend. Try again next year

So no one rated very high, not even the running back with 246 yards?

Seems pretty questionable; particularly the defense grades, as we fared very well against their rushing attack.
As a coach how do you evaluate performance at a position? Is it just off a couple of big runs? Gray had a great game but you look at everything not just a few big runs.

JG ranked as replaceable. Weird....from the stats people that JG Homers like to cite. Strange..

Last edited:
So no one rated very high, not even the running back with 246 yards?

Seems pretty questionable; particularly the defense grades, as we fared very well against their rushing attack.
Gray was the highest rated rb in the SEC by them last week. Not many get rated 90+ by these guys and the few that do it over the course of the season end up on their All-American team.

OFFENSIVE GRADES
  1. TE Dominick Wood-Anderson (89.0)
  2. RB Eric Gray (81.7)
  3. WR Jauan Jennings (73.3)
  4. C Brandon Kennedy (72.3)
  5. LG Trey Smith (71.4)
  6. RB Tim Jordan (68.0)
  7. RG Jerome Carvin (67.8)
  8. LT Jahmir Johnson (65.9)
  9. WR Marquez Callaway (65.2)
  10. RT K’Rojhn Calbert (63.1)
  11. RT Darnell Wright (59.0)
  12. WR Ramel Keyton (58.6)
  13. QB Jarrett Guarantano (53.7)
  14. WR Josh Palmer (53.3)
  15. TE Austin Pope (47.6)
  16. LT Wanya Morris (46.7)
DEFENSIVE GRADES
  1. DT Matthew Butler (74.0)
  2. DE Latrell Bumphus (72.5)
  3. DT Kurott Garland (72.2)
  4. DE Ja’Quain Blakely (70.7)
  5. FS Shawn Shamburger (69.5)
  6. OLB Darrell Taylor (67.5)
  7. DE Alontae Taylor (66.5)
  8. MLB Henry To’oto’o (65.3)
  9. SS Jaylen McCollough (64.1)
  10. CB Bryce Thompson (63.9)
  11. FS Nigel Warrior (63.8)
  12. FS Theo Jackson (62.9)
  13. CB Kenneth George (62.0)
  14. OLB Kivon Bennett (61.7)
  15. MLB Daniel Bituli (56.5)
  16. DT Greg Emerson (54.4)
  17. DE Darel Middleton (52.8)

< 50 = Backup
50-59 = Below average starter
60-69 = Average starter
70-79 = Above average starter
80-89 = Very good
90-99 = Elite
Eric Gray should’ve had a 99.9999.100% 😡😡😡😡🥶

JG ranked as replaceable. Weird....from the stats people that JG Homers like to cite. Strange..
Lmao. It was a terrible first half. No one denies that. This is accurate just like the many stats they have that make him look good.

Most ratings take nothing into consideration. There is a standard. It doesn't matter if you are a True Freshman or a 5th year Senior. The grading is the same. They don't grade on a curve and give a TRUE Freshman a break. That being said, I agree something seems off with the stats.

VN Store

Back