Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

Absolutely NOTHING is a home run hire anymore. ZERO! From now on every single coach has to prove it on the field before getting the label. We've been mislead too many times and should know better. Not a single fan should characterize any hire as a "home run" until it is a home run. Just setting ourselves up for a gut punch.
Counter point-No
Fan should label a new coach as a bust before you see the results on the field.

Looks like a good hire.
PSU runs a high rep offense, so he should know how to prepare the defense for that style of game.
I am optimistic. Feels weird to feel that way again.
Off topic, but are you a physicist? Your username gives me that impression.

giphy.gif

PSU had good defensive stats last year so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I hope he does great things. There has been several statements on here about DW wanting an African American coach. Does anyone know if this was specifically based on input from the players? DW did meet with the team to hear what they wanted ...

I think if Banks has Steele, Garner and Martinez .. pretty veteran group to bounce ideas off of .. get a stud recruiter for OLB and go with it ... welcome Tim Banks !!!

Reactions: CobbVol and rkvdg
I was kind of suspect up to now but this Banks hire cements it for me. Real up and comer with a high football IQ and good instincts on evaluations. We got us a real gem here. Kind of surprised Franklin didn’t put up more of a fight but PSU may have broke the bank on his new contract. I see a lot of midAtlantic transfers sliding our way. We may even be good for nine or ten wins this Fall.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
I looked up his recruiting rankings on 247 sports. Blah. Currently ranked 44th. Ranking in 50's and 60's over the past couple of years. Never near the top of PSU recruiters during that time. After that nothing in the top 200 going back to 2018. He better be a hell of a coach and player development guy. Certainly unimpressed with what I've seen of his recruiting.
While that number is telling, the number of players with that ranking ending up in the NFL would indicate the original rankings were off, he can really coach somebody up, or both, he has the talent to find a diamond in the rough and polish it..... I just ope whichever, he continues to get our guys in the NFL.

Reactions: hillsborovol
I was kind of suspect up to now but this Banks hire cements it for me. Real up and comer with a high football IQ and good instincts on evaluations. We got us a real gem here. Kind of surprised Franklin didn’t put up more of a fight but PSU may have broke the bank on his new contract. I see a lot of midAtlantic transfers sliding our way. We may even be good for nine or ten wins this Fall.
You need to settle down!!

9 or 10 wins? Lol.

So...

Banks - DC, safeties
Garner - DL
Martinez - CBs
Steele - ILBs
??? - OLBs

Sound about right?

Pretty dang solid staff if so (and of course depending on the OLB coach)

VN Store

Back