Pete Thamel: Lincoln Riley to USC

Doesn't he make like 10 million a year at am?
$9.5M/yr but if the market is rising for hot coaches and LSU is on Line 1 and OU may be on Line 2, I'm calling Jimmy Sexton over to the house for some Pappy and a conversation.

There's money to be made even if he stays.

Could be Riley realizing OU ain’t built in current form to keep up double digit win seasons once it transitions to SEC

True...certainly not in the SEC West. Depending on who they play from the West, they could possibly pull it off in the much weaker SEC East. We are not any different than the Big 12, in my opinion.

Reactions: BUBear
Bob Stoops still being involved with OU is a good sign for us

Idk. Stoops wants what is best for OU. If they come calling to feel out Heupel, seems like dumb decision to not take the job. It’s your alma mater that is gonna be in the SEC soon. He’s got SEC experience now and can somewhat get them ready to transition. While I
Hope there is bad blood enough that isn’t buried between Heupel and Stoops, I wouldn’t blame him for taking the job if they offer or interview. I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m expecting the worst. Not like the top coaches out there are available for OU

I'd guess the Oklahoma targets beyond Stoops will be Fickell, Campbell, Kiffin, and this might be the time Venables takes a hc job.

True...certainly not in the SEC West. Depending on who they play from the West, they could possibly pull it off in the much weaker SEC East. We are not any different than the Big 12, in my opinion.

This right here is why I think Heupel would be smart to take job. He’s a year in the league and somewhat knows what is gonna be needed. He can take over a better roster and start working on transitioning vs staying here. Love coaching search season

I honestly don't see why USC is the one job coaches will move laterally to take. They've had one good non-cheating coach in the last 50 years. They don't pay as much as other places, especially when you consider California taxes. I guess it's a king of the ant hill mentality of being in the Pac 12.

Southern California.
More laid back and not as cut throat as SEC.

This right here is why I think Heupel would be smart to take job. He’s a year in the league and somewhat knows what is gonna be needed. He can take over a better roster and start working on transitioning vs staying here. Love coaching search season
But do the Sooners want him after all of the drama between both parties?

Idk. Stoops wants what is best for OU. If they come calling to feel out Heupel, seems like dumb decision to not take the job. It’s your alma mater that is gonna be in the SEC soon. He’s got SEC experience now and can somewhat get them ready to transition. While I
Hope there is bad blood enough that isn’t buried between Heupel and Stoops, I wouldn’t blame him for taking the job if they offer or interview. I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m expecting the worst. Not like the top coaches out there are available for OU

Heupel still is pissed at Stoops for scapegoating him and not firing his brother Mike even though Heupel had a top 25 offense and was forced to play Trevor Knight. Him and Stoops have been cold ever since. If Stoops is still involved I can’t see Heupel leaving

The hopeful things in that is that he only played 1 year at Oklahoma. He's not from there either. Plus Stoops screwed him to protect his brother, so hopefully as you point out, there's still hard feelings. I know in the past he was reluctant to say much about his last year there.

Heupel still is pissed at Stoops for scapegoating him and not firing his brother Mike even though Heupel had a top 25 offense and was forced to play Trevor Knight. Him and Stoops have been cold ever since. If Stoops is still involved I can’t see Heupel leaving
Tennessee knows best when decision makers let pride overtake judgement.

I seriously doubt Stoops and Heupel are still feuding 7 years later. Heupel knows what that job can be too. I’m just saying if Stoops is being objective and not letting emotion drive him, OU calls or interviews Heupel

I imagine the KY kittens are nervous as heck right now..
Mark to Oklahoma, Mark to LSU....

Tennessee knows best when decision makers let pride overtake judgement.

I seriously doubt Stoops and Heupel are still feuding 7 years later. Heupel knows what that job can be too. I’m just saying if Stoops is being objective and not letting emotion drive him, OU calls or interviews Heupel

You wouldn’t think so but every college football reporter has said Heupel hasn’t forgiven Stoops and doesn’t plan on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bill O'Brien should see his stock rise if Riley is gone. I assume he'll play LSU and OU against each other...... and I'm not convinced he's a great hire but there's only a few rolls left in the basket at this point.

Reactions: Zues1
The hopeful things in that is that he only played 1 year at Oklahoma. He's not from there either. Plus Stoops screwed him to protect his brother, so hopefully as you point out, there's still hard feelings. I know in the past he was reluctant to say much about his last year there.
I agree that he’s not going, but Heupel was the starting quarterback for two years not one.

You wouldn’t think so but every college football reporter has said Heupel hasn’t forgiven Stoops and doesn’t plan on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah. I don’t put a lot of stock into what these reporters say. A lot of them said it was done deal that Riley was to LSU.

I’m just saying if Heupel is smart, he interviews for the job considering Riley was making 3-4 million more and i seriously doubt OU is gonna go cheap or not pay similar money to ensure the winning and success. Especially with SEC coming up. Also not seeing anything that says Stoops will be involved outside of being interim for bowl game. I’m preparing for worst and expecting best

I honestly don't see why USC is the one job coaches will move laterally to take. They've had one good non-cheating coach in the last 50 years. They don't pay as much as other places, especially when you consider California taxes. I guess it's a king of the ant hill mentality of being in the Pac 12.

Recruiting and Nice Weather come to mind.

VN Store

Back