Perspective

Most teams today with comparable programs didn’t take two decades off as the NCAAT grew to where it is. One appearance between the back half of Devoe’s tenure and Drunk Jerry arriving on campus with KO’s recruits already filling up the roster. Thanks DA Dickey.

Just disappointed. Not so much that we lost but the way we looked. Sweet 16 and we played just horrible on offensive end. Missed numerous chip shots near the basketball game, and the entire senior class put in a stinker. When Aidoo and Mashack are the ones leading you late in the 2nd half, that is all you need to know about how poorly we played on offense.

A blown opportunity again. You just couldn’t trust these guys or Barnes to run a reasonably effective offense all year and when our initial game plan wasn’t working we had zero contingencies and no answers.

Me too. This should have been JJJ’s game. With his experience, he should have realized the first-half struggles and taken over the game. Sometimes you just have to do that when things aren’t going right. Your teammates can b*tch at you later, after the win, if they want. There was simply no leadership on the floor.

If Tennessee fires Barnes, we are way more likely to hire a Dooley than we are getting someone who can get us to the final 4.

This is not a Mark Richt situation. He was 10 years removed from winning the SEC. We won the SECT last year. Georgia is absolutely full of top tier football talent. Tennessee has to go out of state to recruit nearly all of it's top tier basketball talent. And how many top tier coaches are going to be lining up to take a job at a place that just ran off arguably the program's most successful coach?

Barnes has probably 5 years or so before he will want to retire anyway. The man took over a program on the rocks. He's built it into a consistent top 10 team. He's given us at least half of our 25 win seasons. Yeah, I'm as disappointed as anyone with the tournament results. But it's been really nice being very good year in and year out too.

Just my 2 cents.

If Tenn wants a championship team Barnes needs to go. As the saying goes “good is the enemy of great”. If the AD wants to over pay for a good but not great team, stay with Barnes. If the university wants a championship, he needs to find a younger coach with some balls and some fire. Pearl was the best we’ve had.
How many more championships did Pearl bring us? And how did he leave the program?

If Tennessee fires Barnes, we are way more likely to hire a Dooley than we are getting someone who can get us to the final 4

Just my 2 cents.

… and likely another decade of mediocrity, hoping for a SECT, or making a NIT bid.

Barnes is TCHBCAUTK, and will be until retirement; hopefully with a Vols Final Four, and a smooth transition to his replacement.

Reactions: UTwild82
In a different year. When you don’t experience a ton of injuries. Or you have more consistent scorers. Or you win 4 games in the tournament.
And how often has that happened…..past performance is an indicator of future potential. Injuries are out of his control. Recruiting scorers and game planning are not. Grant and Admiral were consistent scorers. Had a “clear path” in 2018 and lost to Cinderella. People blame running into the “hot team” but we don’t take advantage of running into a “gift”.

I really just wanted to make it to the Elite 8 and have the dignity of losing to a higher seeded team just once.

For a real perspective….look at the teams losing tonight (Friday). Bama going to fire Oats? 😂. Houston going to fire Sampson?😂 And I could go on and on. Hopefully…the ones taking this personal (like my brother who was a basket case today…embarrassing ) will move on and GET OFF THE LEDGE!!!
The criticism of Barnes isn’t just for one year. He’s had close to 40 years of being a HC to show. A huge concern among the fanbase when Barnes got hired was his NCAA Tournament record and sure enough, he proved it here. We lost in the sweet 16 to Purdue in 2019 after being 31-5 and that has been the ceiling. I don’t see us magically making an elite 8 before Barnes retires. Would love to be wrong

The criticism of Barnes isn’t just for one year. He’s had close to 40 years of being a HC to show. A huge concern among the fanbase when Barnes got hired was his NCAA Tournament record and sure enough, he proved it here. We lost in the sweet 16 to Purdue in 2019 after being 31-5 and that has been the ceiling. I don’t see us magically making an elite 8 before Barnes retires. Would love to be wrong
Okie doke.

Would somebody please explain to me how Coach Barnes could have done anything different that could have impacted the outcome? This is a serious question, because I really don't know much (anything) about sports other than I want my Vols to win every game. I fail to see how it is a coach's fault when a player can't hit the broad side of a red barn, or when a player makes stupid fouls or misses a free throw. Please be kind. I really am ignorant on such things.

Would somebody please explain to me how Coach Barnes could have done anything different that could have impacted the outcome? This is a serious question, because I really don't know much (anything) about sports other than I want my Vols to win every game. I fail to see how it is a coach's fault when a player can't hit the broad side of a red barn, or when a player makes stupid fouls or misses a free throw. Please be kind. I really am ignorant on such things.
Situational use of a time out would be a start.

If Tennessee fires Barnes, we are way more likely to hire a Dooley than we are getting someone who can get us to the final 4.

This is not a Mark Richt situation. He was 10 years removed from winning the SEC. We won the SECT last year. Georgia is absolutely full of top tier football talent. Tennessee has to go out of state to recruit nearly all of it's top tier basketball talent. And how many top tier coaches are going to be lining up to take a job at a place that just ran off arguably the program's most successful coach?

Barnes has probably 5 years or so before he will want to retire anyway. The man took over a program on the rocks. He's built it into a consistent top 10 team. He's given us at least half of our 25 win seasons. Yeah, I'm as disappointed as anyone with the tournament results. But it's been really nice being very good year in and year out too.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree with everything but the 5 years.. it won’t be that long.

Reactions: UTwild82
Like to stop another team's hot streak?
Yep. Drives me nuts when he lets a team go crazy with a run and keeps the time outs in his pocket. It's almost as if his philosophy is to let a team "work it out" on the floor. Kind of a tongue in cheek reply. In game, he doesn't seem capable of adjusting to what a defense is doing or it might be he just doesn't have the players to do much about it. Honestly, it was a minor miracle for this team to make the sweet 16. This roster is flawed. Gonna need a fair amount of help from the portal to go with these youngsters next season.

Reactions: LadyinOrange
Yep. Drives me nuts when he lets a team go crazy with a run and keeps the time outs in his pocket. It's almost as if his philosophy is to let a team "work it out" on the floor. Kind of a tongue in cheek reply. In game, he doesn't seem capable of adjusting to what a defense is doing or it might be he just doesn't have the players to do much about it. Honestly, it was a minor miracle for this team to make the sweet 16. This roster is flawed. Gonna need a fair amount of help from the portal to go with these youngsters next season.
Especially if Phillips leaves.

There’s not any evidence that those time outs are effective.
Certainly can't hurt. Better than sitting there watching a team bludgeon us with a...what was it...15-4 run? I mean come on. Do something. Yell, throw a chair, rip off your shirt...something. Seems like the time out might be the least damaging thing to do in a situation like that. Don't just sit there.

Especially if Phillips leaves.
Not sure what's going on with him. Skills are there. Needs strength, but something is amiss. Not sure if he's checked out already or if he's just disappointed in how things went for him. Hope it's something he gets a handle on and he returns, but he tends to disappear much like JJJ and ON. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that sort of thing because I've watched those two do it for years and I'm expecting Phillips to be next in line for that magic act. If I were guessing, I think he bolts to the NBA. You'd not think he'd even be considering it at this point, but hey, this is UT. Nothing surprises me especially bad luck.

Last edited:
Oops, a little early on the trigger. They got bounced in the same round we did.
And I loved every second of it. I’ve not cheered for any team to win (almost as much as Vols) as I did for SDST! Made my day seeing them get the L they deserved! Gotta figure Bama wondering if it was all worth it.

Reactions: Pride85

VN Store

Back