Per Hyams - Tennessee shut down due to Covid

Whatever you wear over your mouth and nose, if it traps moisture, it reduces virus spread.

The water droplets you breathe out, they vary widely in size. If the smallest ones are likened to jet skis, the biggest ones are like aircraft carriers.

And every one of them is super huge to a covid-19 virion (virion = single virus particle). I mean, the virion is like an ant by comparison.

And these ants, the absolute best way for them to travel around the vast reaches of space between one human host and another...is stuck on the side of one of those water droplets. Either the jet ski sized ones, or the aircraft carriers.

From the virion's perspective, the advantage of the jet ski size is, they stay floating in the air a whole lot longer. Unfortunately, they also evaporate faster, leaving the virion without support quicker.

The advantage of the aircraft carrier is, it won't evaporate for hours. The disadvantage is, it gets pulled down to the ground much faster, doesn't float on air currents as well.

But the virion doesn't get to choose which it rides on, so we end up seeing virus particles on all the different sizes of water droplets. Almost all of them too small for a human to see with their naked eye. Even the aircraft carriers.

So now you're wearing what you call a t-shirt over your mouth and nose. Is it trapping a lot of that water vapor? Oh heck yes. You can tell for yourself: breathe in a mask, even the flimsiest mask, for 10-15 minutes. Then see if it's damp on the inside. Yep, sure is. That's virus protection.

Even as flimsy a mask as a t-shirt can screen a surprising percentage* of those water droplets out of the air you're breathing out. And do the same with the air you're breathing in, as well.

That's virus protection. Masks work. It's just absolutely, plain and simple common sense.

* Saw a scientific paper several months ago that concluded N95 masks, properly worn, are 95% effective at blocking covid-19 (largely because it blocks the water droplets on which most covid virions ride), and that even a single ply of cotton fabric, like a handkerchief, blocks roughly 50% (again, worn snug over both mouth and nose). That t-shirt is more effective than you think.
That all may be true. I don't know. One thing I know is my own experience with the virus and that is that if it weren't for the media, I wouldn't know that COVID-19 existed. There wouldn't be any mysterious deaths that I'd be aware of. There wouldn't be an abnormal amount of sickness that I'd be aware of. In short, my world wouldn't be noticably different... that's why it's hard for me to get behind all the virus protection stuff. I understand that I will come across as an ignorant fool by saying this, but it seems to me that the overwhelming majority of people being classified as having died from COVID-19 actually died from something else. Dozens of people in my circle have tested positive for the virus including my whole family and I just don't believe it's killing as many people as they say it's killing. No amount of "scientific facts" will change my opinion. Only my own experience and the experience of my loved ones can change my opinion. I just don't think the virus is a big deal so I'm not worried about how much it spreads.

Some Prussian Army chief of staff said, like 100 years ago, something along these lines:

-- The intelligent who is also energetic will make an excellent General Staff officer.
-- The intelligent who is lazy, make him a field commander; he will excel at delegating less important tasks and focusing on the important.
-- The stupid who is lazy is fine as a soldier.
-- But the stupid who is energetic, get rid of him immediately; he can do untold harm.
You seriously think I'm stupid? Is that where you've landed?

You are a smart guy who has let bias steer you away from thinking critically and following the facts. What I have said in this thread is indisputable. Masks have not prevented spikes or mitigated them once they started. Areas with low mask use have been comparable to those with high mask use once a spike starts.

The "stupid" thing is to persist in believing something works when overwhelmed by evidence that it does not.

Questions for the pro-mask folks.

Do you advocate wearing them to protect yourself or others?

What do you think they were designed for?

What proof would it take for you to believe that they do not work? You can believe that those that advised them weren't malicious... just wrong. What would it take?

Reactions: tnvols72

What proof would it take for you to believe that they do not work? You can believe that those that advised them weren't malicious... just wrong. What would it take?

I fall more into the "stupid who is dumb" category.

#Good VN Soldier

I still wear a mask when I go to crowded places, because (a) 5% chance you're not covered, even with vaccine (the best vaccines are 95% effective, not 100%), and (b) it reassures the people who haven't yet gotten the chance at a vaccine.

Costs me next to nothing to add that little extra bit of protection and significant (for some) extra reassurance. No-brainer.
I also wear a mask only to reassure those more afraid of this virus than me. It is actually very difficult for me to wear a mask. I have had Chronic Bronchitis for most of my life. Do to a stupid phase of my life, I smoked and that turned the bronchitis into COPD. Wearing a mask of any kind for extended periods makes it extremely difficult for me to breath. No matter where I am, when it gets to the point I have to break out the inhaler, the mask comes off. If I am not breathing easily, I will not even put it on to start with.

Reactions: AM64
I have to admit, in the colder months, I actually quite like wearing a mask. It keeps my face warm!

Speaking of wearing masks. One observation I had during this past year is how quickly Americans rush to individualize themselves, even in the midst of a global pandemic. The Chinese have been wearing masks publicly for years due to pollution levels. Anytime you see images of the Chinese wearing masks publicly, they are always the plain surgical type masks. Every one of them. However here in America, it took all of a couple of months before people started "bedazzling" their masks, wearing sports masks, wearing masks with goofy expressions, masks with their favorite rock bands, etc. LMAO! We love us some us in the states!

Last edited:
I don't wear a mask for the same reason I didn't take sugar pills for my fever when I had pneumonia following Covid.

That's a good story... My daughter lives with us and works in a nursing home with some of the strictest mask and sanitation rules anywhere. We never required masks at my workplace but installed bipolar ionization air systems instead. We have had ZERO transmissions in our workplace in spite of near constant "close contact" and having had several infected people on site. We caught Covid FROM MY DAUGHTER. They have had multiple transmissions among their small staff.

Covid spikes and subsides regardless of mask use. When Covid hits, masks do nothing to mitigate it. Masks... are a placebo.
I dont wear a mask. I just make sure to keep getting Covid every few weeks to build up my immunity, kind of like how I spent two years in Australia building up an immunity to iocane powder, which is one of the more deadlier poisons known to man.

So if somebody feels it inappropriate to take measures to decrease issues from the third leading cause of death in Tennessee last year you will laugh in their face. That is special. I have been on this site for many years but very rarely post so that should tell you how special I believe your comment is. Stats of the State of Tennessee
I think you need to actually look at the referenced data. The third leading cause of death is listed as chronic lower respiratory disease. Where does it say COVID-19. Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease includes Flu, COPD, Pneumococcal pneumonia, viral pneumonia, asthma and yes COVID. Every respiratory death is NOT COVID. In fact. why don't you take a look at the reported deaths from the flu and pneumonia for first quarter 2021 compared to 1st quarter 2020 before the COVID insanity started.

VN china virus experts walks around like this
bd06d556-dwighthazmat.jpg

Actually a study was done several years back. It was taken down under pressure after Covid. It was an expansive study showing that infections were no worse among patients when the doctor went without a mask than when they did.

So to answer your question... I'd feel just fine.

And.... there's a difference when exposing areas of your body that are not protected by your complete immune defense system. Skin, nose hair/mucus, saliva, etc make up the first line of defense against viruses. Even so... infections were not worse in that large data set.

How come skin, nose hair, mucous, saliva, etc haven't prevented people from getting Covid?

As stated in my previous post, I think all the guidelines including the mask mandates are bs, BUT I still wear a mask in public because there's a lot of people out there who don't think it's bs and who are genuinely scared. So out of respect for them, I wear the mask and try not to complain about it.

I swear it’s mind boggling to see people still think this COVID crap is this ultra deadly thing that is such a a huge threat. Our glorious government has created a ridiculous state of fear that unfortunately a vast majority of the people have bought into hook, line and sinker. So sad.

Reactions: tnvols72

Both
Prevent spread of respiratory pathogens
Prospective double-blind cross over trial with a p<0.05 proving the null hypothesis

I dont wear a mask. I just make sure to keep getting Covid every few weeks to build up my immunity, kind of like how I spent two years in Australia building up an immunity to iocane powder, which is one of the more deadlier poisons known to man.
You get a like for the Princess Bride reference! :)

Airborne transmission by way of water droplets.

So, to extend this disgusting analogy you've started, imagine the 'wet" parts of your fart. If your underoos are brown, that's a sign of protection from virus spread.

It's science.

So the post I quoted about peeing on another person wasn't disgusting? Got it.

OK. Then use vehicle exhaust. I promise you will smell diesel exhaust (which is partly liquid) through a mask.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back