Per Hyams - Tennessee shut down due to Covid

I bet Bama doesn't shut their spring practice down over COVID. The whole thing is a bunch of overblown BS and always has been.

Reactions: feathersax
Yeah... because those "professionals" and "experts" have done such a fine job, right?

Fauci has tacitly admitted that they've withheld information to manipulate people. When honest early on, he stated that masks would be ineffective against Covid. He waffled a few times then started preaching masks. The results since... say he was right to start with. Masks have not stopped spikes. Masks have not slowed or mitigated spikes. But masks have been the central tenet of their "plan" to survive until the vaccines came out.... Vaccines that several of them including Fauci have a financial interest in.

I missed that--what did he say?

Young people are MORE likely to get sick with Covid due to their higher risk behaviors. They are less likely to become severely ill or die from it, but that doesn't mean they don't spread it to others who are at higher risks.

To think that a virus that originated in the Wuhan province of China and spread around the entire globe in a few months can't be spread by the young is pretty dumb.
High risk people probably should have had the vaccine by now or is the media making up the millions numbers ?

Young people are MORE likely to get sick with Covid due to their higher risk behaviors. They are less likely to become severely ill or die from it, but that doesn't mean they don't spread it to others who are at higher risks.

To think that a virus that originated in the Wuhan province of China and spread around the entire globe in a few months can't be spread by the young is pretty dumb.
A positive test is different than getting sick. Studies have shown young people aren't the spreaders they were made out to be. Shutting down football but no other activities because of it is stupid

Except Fauci just came out and said that 3ft was acceptable in a classroom. LOL.

It's almost as if public health experts are adjusting their recommendations as they're able to do more research and collect more data.

Wow, that's never happened before! It clearly proves your point about something, something, no masks, grand conspiracy, something, someting, Bill Gates microchips in the vaccine.

Reactions: melkord90
Because it's going to continue to happen . Just like last year during spring practice. Tennessee has more strict rules than the rest of the SEC and it's bullsht
Yeah, I get that.

But I think it won't continue to happen. Once the lads are vaccinated, we'll be fine. It's just not quite their turn yet. President says by the 1st of May at the latest.

Studies have shown young people aren't the spreaders they were made out to be.

Who exactly do you think they're getting sick from, genius? (hint, mostly each other)

And there's no study saying they can't spread to others either. Quit making $hit up.

Who exactly do you think they're getting sick from, genius? (hint, mostly each other)

And there's no study saying they can't spread to others either. Quit making $hit up.
That's not what I said at all.

Again, positive test sites not mean sick

It's completely unscientific and anecdotal, but as a parent of a student on a college campus who was bracing for the dorm to be like a petri dish, I'm not sure that's true.

Reactions: feathersax
Let's break it down more.

You and some dude are standing there naked. He pee-pees and some splashes on you.
Let's say then you happen to be wearing pants. When he pee-pees, only a little gets on you.
Now, just for kicks, let's say both of you are wearing pants. He pee-pees...you stay completely dry!

See? That's how masks work.
That's a cute analogy, but terribly flawed and inaccurate. The masks that people are wearing are not closed systems. N95 respirators confer some protection, assuming proper fit. Very few people are wearing those. Most wear what is essentially t-shirt material in front of their mouths and nose. Not only is this inadequate filtration, but most of these fabric masks do not fit particularly well with gaps along the cheeks. Facial hair compounds the fit problem. A better analogy for your example is that you and the naked guy are both wearing pants made out fishnet material or screen door mesh. You're both getting wet. Better advice is to not stand around with a naked man.

I wear masks, by the way, so no need for you to respond with a lecture. Unless it makes you feel better...which is incidentally the primary reason to wear a mask.

I rounded at a nursing home today. They were on a call with new state protocols and changes TN is rolling out. I only was able to watch a little of the online call they were on, but looks like less restrictions are coming.

That said, I don't think we'll ever see our old "normal" again. That doesn't mean masks & social distancing per se, but it does mean changes like the increased demise of brick-and-mortar retailers and the growth of online delivery, workplaces changing from centralized locations to remote, the migration away from large cities and high-tax states, increased virtual education options, etc. I don't think we've any idea of the full impact of socio-economic changes coming our way but they'll be big, permanent, and have impact in nearly every aspect of life.
Hmm, okay. Point well made.

In that sense, you're right. We'll never see our old "normal" again (emphasis added).

In the same way as, "no man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man." Got it. Agreed.

But many of the dynamics you mention, the dynamics that are changing this river we call life, they were there, already at work, before covid-19 emerged. Examples:
  • Folks grocery shopping by ordering on-line and then dropping by the store to pick up, never leaving their car, by-passing the inside of the store entirely.
  • Folks order delivery more, go out to eat less.
  • Urban flight, whether from California to Colorado and Wyoming, or New York to North Carolina and Florida, or even more localized, movement from the inner city to the suburbs and the country.
  • Online education.
  • Watching the game on TV rather than in the stadium.
  • Kids playing games online rather than in the empty lot at the end of the street.
All very real dynamics. Not a single one of them started by covid-19. Some pre-date the virus by decades. And have been accelerating in recent years, not just the past 12 months.

So sure, if that's what you meant by "we'll never get back to normal life again," sure, I agree. But what I mean when I say that we _will_ get back to normal is returning to the way things were a brief 12-15 months ago. No need for masks, no hesitation to gather for holidays, no reluctance to go on vacation or hop on a plane or take a cruise or go to dinner at a restaurant from time to time. I absolutely think life will get back to normal. And this year, too.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
That's a cute analogy, but terribly flawed and inaccurate. The masks that people are wearing are not closed systems. N95 respirators confer some protection, assuming proper fit. Very few people are wearing those. Most wear what is essentially t-shirt material in front of their mouths and nose. Not only is this inadequate filtration, but most of these fabric masks do not fit particularly well with gaps along the cheeks. Facial hair compounds the fit problem. A better analogy for your example is that you and the naked guy are both wearing pants made out fishnet material or screen door mesh. You're both getting wet. Better advice is to not stand around with a naked man.

I wear masks, by the way, so no need for you to respond with a lecture. Unless it makes you feel better...which is incidentally the primary reason to wear a mask.

Well...I was giving this as an example to someone who needed a good understandable analogy.

I disagree with you that 'imperfect' fit, facial hair, T-shirt material, and lack of a closed system are deal breakers. My impression is that anything is better than nothing. I've been wearing cheap paper surgical masks and have facial hair and have managed to not get myself infected. I'm a good social distancer, not a perfect hand washer. I think masks, any masks, confer some protection. The data I've seen says generic masking protects one person 80%, and by calculation, 2 people 96%. Droplet studies similarly show significant decreases in measured droplets wearing masks, N95 or not.

I still wear a mask when I go to crowded places, because (a) 5% chance you're not covered, even with vaccine (the best vaccines are 95% effective, not 100%), and (b) it reassures the people who haven't yet gotten the chance at a vaccine.

Costs me next to nothing to add that little extra bit of protection and significant (for some) extra reassurance. No-brainer.
There’s no COVID

It's the reality of the situation. Covid isn't ever going away, we can all either live in lockdown over it forever or we can get back with our lives. It's sad, but we can't keep forcing everyone to do this forever.
This is a false dichotomy. It’s not all or nothing and it never was. That’s just a line fans of the nothing approach have sold you. If you look closely, you’ll see this same thing crop up over and over again. It turns out, in the real world, most slopes aren’t really all that slippery.

Whatever you wear over your mouth and nose, if it traps moisture, it reduces virus spread.

The water droplets you breathe out, they vary widely in size. If the smallest ones are likened to jet skis, the biggest ones are like aircraft carriers.

And every one of them is super huge to a covid-19 virion (virion = single virus particle). I mean, the virion is like an ant by comparison.

And these ants, the absolute best way for them to travel around the vast reaches of space between one human host and another...is stuck on the side of one of those water droplets. Either the jet ski sized ones, or the aircraft carriers.

From the virion's perspective, the advantage of the jet ski size is, they stay floating in the air a whole lot longer. Unfortunately, they also evaporate faster, leaving the virion without support quicker.

The advantage of the aircraft carrier is, it won't evaporate for hours. The disadvantage is, it gets pulled down to the ground much faster, doesn't float on air currents as well.

But the virion doesn't get to choose which it rides on, so we end up seeing virus particles on all the different sizes of water droplets. Almost all of them too small for a human to see with their naked eye. Even the aircraft carriers.

So now you're wearing what you call a t-shirt over your mouth and nose. Is it trapping a lot of that water vapor? Oh heck yes. You can tell for yourself: breathe in a mask, even the flimsiest mask, for 10-15 minutes. Then see if it's damp on the inside. Yep, sure is. That's virus protection.

Even as flimsy a mask as a t-shirt can screen a surprising percentage* of those water droplets out of the air you're breathing out. And do the same with the air you're breathing in, as well.

That's virus protection. Masks work. It's just absolutely, plain and simple common sense.

* Saw a scientific paper several months ago that concluded N95 masks, properly worn, are 95% effective at blocking covid-19 (largely because it blocks the water droplets on which most covid virions ride), and that even a single ply of cotton fabric, like a handkerchief, blocks roughly 50% (again, worn snug over both mouth and nose). That t-shirt is more effective than you think.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back