Per ESPN Pruitt looking fwd to tell his side of the story.

Don't they typically have 90 days to respond? That's quite awhile, conceivably it could be middle of the season.

right. But Tennessee should have their response within a couple of weeks. Don't see them letting it drag. But Pruitt and others likely take the full 90 days and then they will include a lot of crap that the NCAA will likely have to spend time looking into. Likely extends their 60 days.

I don’t see how anything he observed or was told changes the contract language - he was legitimately fired for cause. Trying to get more money from his contract is drilling a dry hole.

Extorting hush money from UT is not feasible (due to public disclosure) and extorting money from boosters is unlikely.

His best strategy is to keep quiet and try to rebuild his coaching career in the NFL. This is why I think “telling my side of the story” is just something to say, like “searching for the real killer” not an actual threat.

Edit: He might throw some dirt on Fulmer in his response to the NCAA, but If there is much to see there, it would have already been disclosed and Fulmer has been replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
right. But Tennessee should have their response within a couple of weeks. Don't see them letting it drag. But Pruitt and others likely take the full 90 days and then they will include a lot of crap that the NCAA will likely have to spend time looking into. Likely extends their 60 days.
Thanks man, I always appreciate your insight.

Reactions: StarRaider
I'm struggling to see any possible reason Pruitt has to sue. Wrongful termination suits have to be filed within 180 days. His contract quite clearly stated that he could be fired with cause for NCAA violations, of which he wracked up 18. He could maybe attempt to file a breach of contract suit but it should proceed absolutely nowhere.
I think you are thinking about EEOC type stuff, grievances to the government for unemployment benefits that has to be filed within 180 days, claims dealing with at-will employees working without a contract. The SOL on contract claims is typically 6 years.

Can anyone recall a program that has prospered by hiring a rival program's assistant coach to be their head coach?
maybe the reigning national champ program? (yeah I get it, Kirby has deep ties to the leghumpers and beldar did not have any ties to the VOLS)

Pruitt can look at Bruce Pearl as an example of someone who rebuilt their career, even thou circumstances are different. It’s a long road but he could do it. Pruitt isn’t near as intelligent or personable as Pearl thou.

Don't they typically have 90 days to respond? That's quite awhile, conceivably it could be middle of the season.
Just glancing at the calendar, it will likely be late October before all the responses are in (or time runs out for those who don't get them in).

Then another 60 days for the NCAA to finalize the case, looks like we'll be finding out our punishment around the time of our last game of the regular season.

What can he say I’m sure this whole investigation was just made up.. get ready to drag Tennessee more this football season.. I think we got the right coach not to let this be a distraction as much as most of the country hates Tennessee. I’m embracing this hate and I think as Vols we should jus enjoy being the JR Ewing of college football.
Probably say, Fulmer made him do it lol

Pruitt can look at Bruce Pearl as an example of someone who rebuilt their career, even thou circumstances are different. It’s a long road but he could do it. Pruitt isn’t near as intelligent or personable as Pearl thou.
Yeah except Bruce Pearl was successful at UT and a good coach. Pruitt was a not quite that and he also threatened to rat all of the UT athletic programs out.

So at this very moment Finebaum & Pat Forde are piling on Phil Fulmer. Those of you Fulmer-haters need to listen to this bilge & then try to jump on board with these yellow sports journalist swine.

So at this very moment Finebaum & Pat Forde are piling on Phil Fulmer. Those of you Fulmer-haters need to listen to this bilge & then try to jump on board with these yellow sports journalist swine.
Fulmer was no doubt a great coach. No one can argue that imo. They can argue it was time for someone else.

What I think is also not arguable is that Fulmer wasn’t a viable candidate for AD. Never should’ve been in a position to interview much less be hired for that position. It was an utter failure of leadership that he got that position. I don’t think he did anything out of spite expect perhaps the Kevin Steele hire. 😂 Which again that was a leadership failure that he was able to do that otw out.

Fulmer was no doubt a great coach. No one can argue that imo. They can argue it was time for someone else.

What I think is also not arguable is that Fulmer wasn’t a viable candidate for AD. Never should’ve been in a position to interview much less be hired for that position. It was an utter failure of leadership that he got that position. I don’t think he did anything out of spite expect perhaps the Kevin Steele hire. 😂 Which again that was a leadership failure that he was able to do that otw out.
Don't argue that CPF was unsuccessful as the UTAD, but his love for Tennessee is unquestonable. My problem is Finebaum aligning himself with scumbag/UT-hater Pat Forde. Two of a mind, IMO.

Reactions: VAVol85
Don't argue that CPF was unsuccessful as the UTAD, but his love for Tennessee is unquestonable. My problem is Finebaum aligning himself with scumbag/UT-hater Pat Forde. Two of a mind, IMO.
Finebaum is playing to his audience; the fact that Finebaum has made a career the way he has when he is completely clueless is fascinating to me.

Finebaum is playing to his audience; the fact that Finebaum has made a career the way he has when he is completely clueless is fascinating to me.
Finebaum is playing to his audience; the fact that FiNo anebaum has made a career the way he has when he is completely clueless is fascinating to me.
No argument here. While sometimes I think Finebaum is actually trying to be fair & loves his alma mater, it's clear that he's actually prostituting his role as a "sports journalist". When he panders to such trash as Pat Forde it makes me puke in my mouth.

Fulmer was a slightly better than average HC with great coordinators (well 1 outstanding coordinator). He was a great recruiter.

Fulmer was only a viable candidate for AD because of the emergency-like situation the athletic department was in when he was hired. No viable candidates for the job were interested in the job at that point. He got the job because no serious candidate wanted it, and he was a recognizable figure who they thought might be able to get people on the same page in a crisis situation.

Fulmer was only a viable candidate for AD because of the emergency-like situation the athletic department was in when he was hired. No viable candidates for the job were interested in the job at that point. He got the job because no serious candidate wanted it, and he was a recognizable figure who they thought might be able to get people on the same page in a crisis situation.

Fulmer helped orchestrate a good bit of the crisis. He was never a viable candidate (viable means he wad capable enough to do the job) but they gave him the job anyway at the best of a mega booster, who actually wanted him installed as coach. At least they had good sense to dodge that bullet, unfortunately they gave him more power and had to bite an even bigger bullet.

Reactions: JacketVol
Fulmer helped orchestrate a good bit of the crisis. He was never a viable candidate (viable means he wad capable enough to do the job) but they gave him the job anyway at the best of a mega booster, who actually wanted him installed as coach. At least they had good sense to dodge that bullet, unfortunately they gave him more power and had to bite an even bigger bullet.
I don't think Fulmer orchestrated anything pre-Currie firing. Not because he did not want the AD job that ultimately went to Currie (he absolutely did) but because I don't think he had the leverage to pull that off at the time.

Once Currie was fired, Fulmer and his booster allies had leverage at that point and he absolutely got involved, which ultimately culminated in him getting the AD job.

VN Store

Back