Penn State hazing: "I'm going to Sandusky you!"

Doesn’t this happen on pretty much every high school team? I know the upperclassmen did the same crap to us when I played. It’s all an intimidation factor because they are scared that the underclassman will take there job so they try to use there age and seniority to scare the younger ones. Honestly not that uncommon. I doubt it goes to that extent at most colleges because naturally kids mature, but I’m sure it happens a lot. Kids also need to grow thicker skin or they will never make it in the world, and this is coming from a 24 year old.
You win the prize for having the dumbest post of all time on Volnation. Coming from an old school conservative.

Reactions: SalVolinus
Doesn’t this happen on pretty much every high school team? I know the upperclassmen did the same crap to us when I played. It’s all an intimidation factor because they are scared that the underclassman will take there job so they try to use there age and seniority to scare the younger ones. Honestly not that uncommon. I doubt it goes to that extent at most colleges because naturally kids mature, but I’m sure it happens a lot. Kids also need to grow thicker skin or they will never make it in the world, and this is coming from a 24 year old.
You had team mates place their junk on you?

Dumbest thing I’ve ever read on VN during my time here.

That explains so much.

Their
There
They're

Learn it. Use it.

Franklin skated on the Vandy rape deal. He was aware of it before the police and never reported it. In fact, he contacted the victim offering her a position in his program BEFORE she knew she was raped.

This was all part of testimony in the trial.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
Franklin skated on the Vandy rape deal. He was aware of it before the police and never reported it. In fact, he contacted the victim offering her a position in his program BEFORE she knew she was raped.

This was all part of testimony in the trial.

You should probably read the transcripts before trying to quote them. You're paraphrasing a motion by one of the defense attorneys, not trial testimony.

You should probably read the transcripts before trying to quote them. You're paraphrasing a motion by one of the defense attorneys, not trial testimony.

The victim testified Franklin offered her a position. You might need to get your head out of your ass

The victim testified Franklin offered her a position. You might need to get your head out of your ass

She testified that she got the job offer well before the assault. She also testified that he texted her to check up on her around the time of her medical exam. She never indicated that he did or said anything untoward or illegal, except for perhaps bending NCAA recruiting rules by utilizing hostesses.

If you're going to be insulting, you should first make sure you're right.

She testified that she got the job offer well before the assault. She also testified that he texted her to check up on her around the time of her medical exam. She never indicated that he did or said anything untoward or illegal, except for perhaps bending NCAA recruiting rules by utilizing hostesses.

If you're going to be insulting, you should first make sure you're right.

Sorry but you are already backtracking. She testified she got a job offer from Franklin before she knew she was raped and she thought that was strange that he’d do that. Then she was told by Metro police what happened to her. Franklins phone was never confiscated or searched. Listen, I watched the trial.

You started the insulting bud.

Last edited:
Reactions: sierraorange
I read another article today that specifically said there is a video of the incident...what the heck is going on over there? Being female, I'm ignorant to the goings on in the locker room/shower...do young men horseplay in this way? Surely not....
There was an incident a couple of years back with a local high school. The team went on a trip, one of the young men was assaulted with a pool cue.
Ooltewah High School Basketball, in Pigeon Forge. Bad, bad, bad.

Reactions: AshG and Sara Clark
Sorry but you are already backtracking. She testified she got a job offer from Franklin before she knew she was raped and she thought that was strange that he’d do that Then she was told by Metro police what happened to her. Franklins phone was never confiscated or searched. Listen, I watched the trial.

You started the insulting bud.

Sorry, but your memory is faulty. She was doing the dance team and hostess stuff before the assault. So not only did the job offer come before the assault, she accepted it. I genuinely believe that you're crossing up her testimony with a defense motion. Don't take offense at that suggestion, as I mean no offense by it. I talk plenty of junk on here, but I typically avoid doing so when discussing sexual assault.

I'll try to find it when I have the time, but there was an article (in The Tennessean?) that summarized the motion in such a way that it actually gave the impression that Franklin texted the job offer to her during her rape exam. There was definitely a thread on here about it (it's crazy that it was over half a decade ago).

Anyway, my point is that it's easy to get details crossed up. I'm pretty confident in my recollection since I read two of the appeals not long ago. They were denied, for what it's worth.

Sorry, but your memory is faulty. She was doing the dance team and hostess stuff before the assault. So not only did the job offer come before the assault, she accepted it. I genuinely believe that you're crossing up her testimony with a defense motion. Don't take offense at that suggestion, as I mean no offense by it. I talk plenty of junk on here, but I typically avoid doing so when discussing sexual assault.

I'll try to find it when I have the time, but there was an article (in The Tennessean?) that summarized the motion in such a way that it actually gave the impression that Franklin texted the job offer to her during her rape exam. There was definitely a thread on here about it (it's crazy that it was over half a decade ago).

Anyway, my point is that it's easy to get details crossed up. I'm pretty confident in my recollection since I read two of the appeals not long ago. They were denied, for what it's worth.

Well, you continue to dig your own grave. So you now agree she was part of the program before she met vandenberg (which I believe she was). She was later offered a job (or a promotion some might say) by Franklin to head the hostess program (after the attack but before she knew it happened) which she testified to. I doubt Franklin called every girl to be a member of the dance team. strange that the DA never even considered looking into that but he didn’t.

VU Players testified about how JF told the team “we’ve got to get close and stick together” shortly after the attack but before it was known. Was that a coincidence? Or are you going deny this also?

Listen, I don’t go to Bama boards. Why you come here is beyond me. But don’t come with your arrogant attitude to me. I know this case obviously better than you’re reading. The DA & media in Nashville clearly made sure not to get Franklin involved. He should damn sure be appreciative. Any knowledge he might have had of the rape before it was known by Metro Police would destroy his career.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Well, you continue to dig your own grave. So you now agree she was part of the program before she met vandenberg (which she was).

I never said otherwise.

She was later offered a job (or a promotion some might say) by Franklin to head the hostess program (after the attack but before she knew it happened) which she testified to.

I think you're wrong here. But, since we continue to disagree, I'll look up the transcript when I have the time.

I doubt Franklin called every girl to be a member of the dance team.

Agreed. The hostess gig was what mattered to Franklin.

VU Players testified about how JF told the team “we’ve got to get close and stick together” shortly after the attack but before it was known. Was that a coincidence? Or are you going deny this also?

The assailants claimed that Franklin threatened their scholarships if they didn't come clean. Remember, Franklin was drug into the court procedings not under allegations that he worked to cover anything up, but rather that he and other school officials illegally pressured the assailants into confessing.

Listen, I don’t go to Bama boards. Why you come here is beyond me.

And now you've reached the last resort of the failed argument. That's really too bad.

Last edited:
I never said otherwise.

You said Franklin offered her a job before the rape, not after. She was already involved in the program. Franklin's offer came after the rape and before she knew about it.

The assailants claimed that Franklin threatened their scholarships if they didn't come clean. Remember, Franklin was drug into the court procedings not under allegations that he worked to cover anything up, but rather that he and other school officials illegally pressured the assailants into confessing

VU Security discovered the attack by accident as a result of viewing security tape while investigating burglaries in the dorm. They saw the girl being carried in, then out of the room. They contacted Metro Police who started asking questions, asked for phone records, etc. Once Metro got the phones, they didnt need any confessions, it was all on videos. Only then did anyone in the football program step up. This was approximately 2 weeks after the attack. Practically the entire football program knew of it as several "non-participating" players helped the assailants carry the girl out and clean up the evidence. Videos were sent to numerous people both in and outside the football program.

Statements in documents filed in the court are sworn statements subject to cross examination. Just because the DA or defense doesnt probe there does not mean they are moot or did not occur.

Maybe you would learn more about the trial if you actually watched it and didnt depend on the news reports from the Tennessean.

I never said otherwise.

You said Franklin offered her a job before the rape, not after. She was already involved in the program. Franklin's offer came after the rape and before she knew about it.

You seem to be arguing a point I'm not making. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we seem to both agree that she was involved with the program before the assault. You keep referring to what I assume is another offer from Franklin. I'm glad to go back thru the transcripts, but since you watched the trial(s) I'm hoping you can narrow my search so that I don't have to go through thousands of pages. Which of the three trials? Direct or cross? Obviously, I'm asking you to recollect something from several years ago, so I don't expect you to get super specific.

The assailants claimed that Franklin threatened their scholarships if they didn't come clean. Remember, Franklin was drug into the court procedings not under allegations that he worked to cover anything up, but rather that he and other school officials illegally pressured the assailants into confessing

VU Security discovered the attack by accident as a result of viewing security tape while investigating burglaries in the dorm. They saw the girl being carried in, then out of the room. They contacted Metro Police who started asking questions, asked for phone records, etc. Once Metro got the phones, they didnt need any confessions, it was all on videos. Only then did anyone in the football program step up. This was approximately 2 weeks after the attack. Practically the entire football program knew of it as several "non-participating" players helped the assailants carry the girl out and clean up the evidence. Videos were sent to numerous people both in and outside the football program.

That all seems to fit with my understanding of the facts. I'm not terribly sure whether you typed all that to indicate agreement of disagreement with the statement you quoted. It doesn't really seem to address my statement at all.

Statements in documents filed in the court are sworn statements subject to cross examination. Just because the DA or defense doesnt probe there does not mean they are moot or did not occur.

Agreed. Once again, I don't see what you're getting at.

Maybe you would learn more about the trial if you actually watched it and didnt depend on the news reports from the Tennessean.

I read the transcripts from all three trials, listened to the hearings from the CoA, and read those rulings.

Correction: there were four trials. I was only thinking of Batey and Vandenburg when I was typing, but obviously Banks would count as the fourth. Either way, I've read that transcript, too.

Last edited:
You claimed Franklin only offered her a job before the rape. I claimed she already had a hostess job & he offered her a promotion, per the victims statement, after the rape. Report of the victim sworn statement supports my position.

You insinuated once Franklin found out about the rape, he took measures to make players confess. I say Franklin knew about it long before Metro Police got involved. Reports from sworn statements support my position

I only brought this up to support the argument that Franklin has a track record of covering up this kind of activity. It was a small miracle the Vandy rape case ever got noticed. If the dorm burglaries hadn’t occurred, the videos in the dorm hallway would likely never been seen despite numerous people in the football program knowing about it before the police did.

You claimed Franklin only offered her a job before the rape. I claimed she already had a hostess job & he offered her a promotion, per the victims statement, after the rape. Report of the victim sworn statement supports my position.

Thanks for clarifying. My recollection was that the job offer was for the hostess job. Again, could you point me to the transcript or sworn statement that "supports [your] position"?

You insinuated once Franklin found out about the rape, he took measures to make players confess. I say Franklin knew about it long before Metro Police got involved. Reports from sworn statements support my position

Could you also point to a source for this? He absolutely talked to other folks within the program, but I'm not sure your timeline is supported by the evidence.

I only brought this up to support the argument that Franklin has a track record of covering up this kind of activity.

I will give you this: I have serious questions as to whether or not Franklin saw the video. He claimed, under oath, that he hadn't but that he intentionally gave the assailants the impression that he had. So, his story obviously changed, and he has openly admitted to at least some level of dishonesty. If he did see it, the big question would be "when?" If he saw it before the MNPD, that would obviously be a huge deal. But I haven't seen any evidence that comes close to proving that. If the DA had been running interference for Franklin, as you suggest, then it's also true that the defense clearly didn't try to make any hay out of it at trial.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back