Pember

Too soft. Needs to play like Bird if he ever wants to play as a stretch 3/4. Give that Bearden boy some grit!

We should all try to remember that when the Incredible Fulk got here he was skinny as a rail, so much so he almost had his arm ripped off by an opposing player during a fight for the ball. He hit the weights, did all those things that Barnes wanted him to do and in three years led us to a big win against Kentucky and their blue bloods. My point being, it's too early to say the kid isn't good enough.

I do agree that it will be difficult to get meaningful PT if Barnes keeps recruiting like the last two years, but I think we all need to anticipate that we might have as many as 3 underclassmen go pro after this year plus Fulk and Pons. You may be pretty happy Pember stuck it out when the 2021-22 season gets here.
Horrible comparison. Fulk put up numbers on UNC and showed incredible energy. He had a catastrophic injury. Fulk is a post, Pember a wing. The only comparison is they are white.

Reactions: HawkVol2213
Horrible comparison. Fulk put up numbers on UNC and showed incredible energy. He had a catastrophic injury. Fulk is a post, Pember a wing. The only comparison is they are white.

White AND skinny and tall.

I think that Fulk had many more minutes available as a true freshman. Pember is behind about 6 players at his position. He can’t get long stretches of minutes, pretty much every one is a quick appearance.

We should all try to remember that when the Incredible Fulk got here he was skinny as a rail, so much so he almost had his arm ripped off by an opposing player during a fight for the ball. He hit the weights, did all those things that Barnes wanted him to do and in three years led us to a big win against Kentucky and their blue bloods. My point being, it's too early to say the kid isn't good enough.
I do agree that it will be difficult to get meaningful PT if Barnes keeps recruiting like the last two years, but I think we all need to anticipate that we might have as many as 3 underclassmen go pro after this year plus Fulk and Pons. You may be pretty happy Pember stuck it out when the 2021-22 season gets here.

It would have been great if DP had Red Shirted last year and a free year this year. He could have started the 2021 season as a freshman eligibility wise. There is a great difference in a 18 yo & 20 yo freshman and he would been a 24 yo man his senior year. to bad last year was a waste, he is a good shooter and I think Barnes could bring him along and make him a solid 6 10 starter by his last year with more strength and hopefully more weight. BYU has done it forever with 2 year mission deferrals and skinny boys come back as men.

It would have been great if DP had Red Shirted last year and a free year this year. He could have started the 2021 season as a freshman eligibility wise. There is a great difference in a 18 yo & 20 yo freshman and he would been a 24 yo man his senior year. to bad last year was a waste, he is a good shooter and I think Barnes could bring him along and make him a solid 6 10 starter by his last year with more strength and hopefully more weight. BYU has done it forever with 2 year mission deferrals and skinny boys come back as men.

He isn’t going to eat up a scholly for 5 years much less 6

White AND skinny and tall.

I think that Fulk had many more minutes available as a true freshman. Pember is behind about 6 players at his position. He can’t get long stretches of minutes, pretty much every one is a quick appearance.
Pember has a long neck.

A little premature to say Gaines can’t shoot, a very small sample size. It’s hard to get a feel of the game when your playing time is as inconsistent as his is. No fault of no one, he’s just stuck behind a bunch of very talented players.

A little premature to say Gaines can’t shoot, a very small sample size. It’s hard to get a feel of the game when your playing time is as inconsistent as his is. No fault of no one, he’s just stuck behind a bunch of very talented players.
You are right to an extent. Jalen Johnson didn't play much, but we all knew he could shoot really well. But that was based on 3 seasons of evidence. We don't have that kind of info for Gaines, yet.

You are right to an extent. Jalen Johnson didn't play much, but we all knew he could shoot really well. But that was based on 3 seasons of evidence. We don't have that kind of info for Gaines, yet.
True. Some players have to get a shot or two to warm up though. Johnson seemed like he didn’t need that. We’ll see.

VN Store

Back