Pearl and his lack of defense

cjwatsonfan32

I dont know how long pearl spends on defense during practice but saturday showed why he needs to. As much as I hate UCLA, they will always be in contention for a national title because Howland MAKES his players play defense. To me pearl relies to heavily on trying to get 80 a game, but the problem is other teams score more. Shooting 59% and losing a game and having the same amount of turnovers as your opponent usually would result in a win, but since this team plays matador defense, they lost this game and embarrassed themselves to a team that had an RPI of 103. I never really liked pearl to begin with cause hes not a tournament style coach. Because youve got to play some defense to advance and pearl is the Mike D'Antoni of the SEC. And we can thank Peterson for at least instilling some defensive knowledge to lofton and smith, the main reason we got to where we got the previous two years. BTW my stance on JP prince...Bench his A$$ he is a thorn in the side of this team. He is an awful shooter, not a very good ball handler, and quite frankly is a baby.

ya great call on JP, the guy has proven a liability in the past and hasnt met expectation, but he was great on most fronts this evening and kept us in that game. Let's also not birng up the prior game....nor the one before that.

I dont know how long pearl spends on defense during practice but saturday showed why he needs to. As much as I hate UCLA, they will always be in contention for a national title because Howland MAKES his players play defense. To me pearl relies to heavily on trying to get 80 a game, but the problem is other teams score more. Shooting 59% and losing a game and having the same amount of turnovers as your opponent usually would result in a win, but since this team plays matador defense, they lost this game and embarrassed themselves to a team that had an RPI of 103. I never really liked pearl to begin with cause hes not a tournament style coach. Because youve got to play some defense to advance and pearl is the Mike D'Antoni of the SEC. And we can thank Peterson for at least instilling some defensive knowledge to lofton and smith, the main reason we got to where we got the previous two years. BTW my stance on JP prince...Bench his A$$ he is a thorn in the side of this team. He is an awful shooter, not a very good ball handler, and quite frankly is a baby.
Have you even watched any UT basketball? Why blame Pearl when it's the player who are lacking? They played decent defense last year, and the year before under Pearl. Your stance on Prince is totally worng. I guess you miss the part where he leads the team in steals, 3rd in assists, and for crying out loud he shoots 56% from the floor which also leads the team. I'm as sore as anyone else when they lose but lets be rational. Petererson was an awful UT coach, he never made a tourney and his SEC record speaks for itself (7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10).

Last edited:
I know JP is deserving of criticism, but why just call him out? This team has more than one liability. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why brian williams gets any minutes at all. He is a worse liability on defense than prince, thats saying something. Then there is tatum and hospon who just let guys run right by them on their way to the hole. No wonder wayne stays in so much foul trouble.

We have many guys underachieving and the rotations are not working this year like they did last year. Keep in mind last year we had 3 ecperienced guards. This year for all intent and purposes we have 1, jp. Exp at the guard positions makes all the diff in the world
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Since the Kentucky game, I think the team has improved a little bit defensively. Yesterday was a step back, but that will happen with a young team. It would be nice if improvement was always going forward, but it does not always happen that way. Losses like these are good tools for a coach because players are more apt to listen after embarrassing losses. Two wins at home this week and we are 16-8 and still alive.

Have you even watched any UT basketball? Why blame Pearl when it's the player who are lacking? They played decent defense last year, and the year before under Pearl. Your stance on Prince is totally worng. I guess you miss the part where he leads the team in steals, 3rd in assists, and for crying out loud he shoots 56% from the floor which also leads the team. I'm as sore as anyone else when they lose but lets be rational. Petererson was an awful UT coach, he never made a tourney and his SEC record speaks for itself (7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10).

Decent defense? Your ok with decent defense? maybe you dont understand that "decent defense" wont win you a national title or even a conference title. Take for instance GA in last years SEC tournament, besides the first game of their tournament (which went into OT) they held their opponents to 60 points or less. While tennessee on the other hand gave up 87 to SC and luckily won by 2, and then gave up 92 to arkansas, and lost. You play good defense against arkansas, we would have advanced, and if we continued to play good defense we would have won that SEC tournament. When you play "decent defense" you better pray that your team doesnt have an off shooting night.

Reason for that percentage is because he takes a majority of his shots inside two feet in which case congrats on the high field goal percentage cause we know hes not a shooter because his 6.3% 3pt FG shows hes not a long range shooter nor is he a great free throw shooter at 66%. hes 3rd in assists and also 3rd in turnovers and great he gets 1 steala game, not very impressed by that for the minutes he plays, reason i called him out is because hes a starter that shouldnt be starting.

Peterson was a mediocre coach but brought in decent talent and well frankly pearl needs to thank peterson for bringing in j. smith and c lofton and cj watson, because when they were here they were the reasons we did so well. Now pearl has players who dont fit into his system to well.

It doesn't take talent to play defense. These guys just refuse to get down in a stance and move their damn feet. It's just a simple lack of effort.

VN Store

Back