Patty Cake

keenobserver

Any old heads out here get tired of watching "drills" all the time in fall camp instead of football being played in practice?

I know, it's a different time and there are rules and regulations about how much you can tackle to the ground...etc, etc....

Im assuming the physical portions of practice aren't available for those 3 minute media clips that are shared daily...however, it's hard to watch....forgive me, just ready to get this thing going

Last edited:
Football definitely "get played" at practice. I'd argue that it's probably more physical, and that's why they have to limit the amount of contact. (This is the part where you old timers have an aneurism about how hard you had it "back in the day". This is also the part where I just smile and nod and wait for you to forget what you were talking about.) It turns out that slamming heads together doesn't actually make you tougher or better at football, but it does open you up for a nice lawsuit in 30 years.

This team isn't just doing drill against "noodle arms". We are seeing the very basic drills during a small part of practice. Also, from what I have seen, I don't think Pruitt cares about "coming off the wrong way".

Football definitely "get played" at practice. I'd argue that it's probably more physical, and that's why they have to limit the amount of contact. (This is the part where you old timers have an aneurism about how hard you had it "back in the day". This is also the part where I just smile and nod and wait for you to forget what you were talking about.) It turns out that slamming heads together doesn't actually make you tougher or better at football, but it does open you up for a nice lawsuit in 30 years.

This team isn't just doing drill against "noodle arms". We are seeing the very basic drills during a small part of practice. Also, from what I have seen, I don't think Pruitt cares about "coming off the wrong way".

Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel a little better and my inclination was exactly what you said. It's not available to the media....which is relieving to hear....

While I may be old, always remember young man "Its hard to become a better football player unless you practice playing........ football"----me

Last edited:
You're watching "drills" because that is all the media is allowed to watch.

Thank you, and the media guys keep pointing that out. They only see just a bit of what's actually happening. Deep breaths everyone. We're almost there. Bout to open a nice fresh bottle of Jack and enjoy the first real game of the season. Go Vols.

Reactions: RollerVol
Mostly boring to watch, but there is obviously a great need to practice the fundamentals of blocking/ tackling techniques, etc.

Turns out withholding water and giving players salt tablets didnt make us better players. They’re athletes who are working on techniques, hardly patty cake.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Any old heads out here get tired of watching "drills" all the time in fall camp instead of football being played in practice?

I know, it's a different time and there are rules and regulations about how much you can tackle to the ground...etc, etc....

Im assuming the physical portions of practice aren't available for those 3 minute media clips that are shared daily...however, it's hard to watch....forgive me, just ready to get this thing going
You should see the stretching routine!!!! Intense stuff I tell you.

Reactions: keenobserver
I don't recall a single practice...spring or fall...that didn't have a "bull in the ring" session. Someone was always gonna be on their backside.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back