Pat Summitt's contract?

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Head coaches' salaries hit record highs | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

UT women's basketball coach Pat Summitt made $1.225 million last season and, for years, has been the highest-paid college women's coach. She signed a six-year deal in 2006 and was to average $1.3 million per year. But University of Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma — Summitt's biggest rival — recently signed a five-year deal that starts at $1.4 million annually. Needless to say, Summitt and UT are working on a new contract.

When would be the right time for UT to announce this raise, esp. considering the climate on Rocky Top right now?

It will be announced when an agreement is reached.

You mean the climate where everyone is waiting on Basketball season to start?

or

The Climate where almost everyone now see Fulmer is way overpaid and has been for the last 6 years.

I'd think before November! Pat deserves at least $1.5 - $1.7 million. She's the best in the country! What's it take with 8 National Championship on her resume? She's the best in the country. Sign her for 5 plus years at $1.6 with bonuses/incentives!

Pat deserves alot. She has more wins than any other basketball coach men or women.
Maybe she should trade salaries with phil.

I would say now is about time for the UTAD to go ahead and announce that they are going to stop throwing away money on a coach who contributes absolutely nothing to the financial bottom-line of the Department.

I would say now is about time for the UTAD to go ahead and announce that they are going to stop throwing away money on a coach who contributes absolutely nothing to the financial bottom-line of the Department.

But wait, I thought Hamilton was over the men's athletic department? Joan Cronen is over the women's AD.

:rolleyes:

But wait, I thought Hamilton was over the men's athletic department? Joan Cronen is over the women's AD.

:rolleyes:

The point remains the same. Pat Summit is paid almost $1.5 million annually to head up a sport that lost $230,000 last season.

There are a number of sports at UT that dont bring in the revenue. Maybe we should stop paying those coaches as well. :crazy:

There are a number of sports at UT that dont bring in the revenue. Maybe we should stop paying those coaches as well. :crazy:
We definitely do not continue to give outlandish pay raises to those coaches. Very well thought out point though...

football more than covers the money losing sports
Welfare in reverse... inner city kids slaving away in football and raising the revenue to support non-revenue sports like golf, volleyball, women's soccer/basketball and prop up an over-paid women's basketball coach.

The school more than makes up for that $230,000 loss in positive publicity.

The school more than makes up for that $230,000 loss in positive publicity.
With more and more students entering the University of Tennessee on lottery scholarships, how exactly is UT making up for the loss of $230,000 simply from fielding a women's basketball team?

Our entire Men's and Women's Athletic Departments only profited ~$2.9M last fiscal year. Consider the fact that football generated a net income of ~$28M and men's basketball generated a net income of ~$3.5M, I would have to say that Pat Summit's earnings are completely disproportionate.

how exactly is UT making up for the loss of $230,000 simply from fielding a women's basketball team?

Because, unlike 95% of the women's basketball programs in America, there is actually an immeasurable positive economic impact due to the exposure that the school garners from the Lady Vols.

Because, unlike 95% of the women's basketball programs in America, there is actually an immeasurable positive economic impact due to the exposure that the school garners from the Lady Vols.
It's an immeasurable impact... but it is a positive impact? :unsure:

How could it possibly be negative to get your name mentioned in a positive light on national TV for free?
I agree that it is positive, for the most part. However, I do not believe that impact is anywhere near the price we pay to keep Summit.

VN Store

Back