Pat Summitt

I know a lot of folks with dementia/Alzheimer's that never played sports. I hope and pray one day soon they will find a cure for this disease as well as cancer.

Hopefully, a couple of smart guys will walk in one day with the cure for both. And the Nobel prize people can just make two trophies for that year. Both will be well deserved.

I hear ya, man. One of my best friend's Dad got diagnosed three years ago, while my Dad was starting to have serious health problem. I was able to care of my Dad, but he did not have Alzheimer's. Just a degree of senility due to his kidney disease. While caring for him until his death was not easy, it was manageable.

But in a lot of cases, I have seen a few that get violent. My friend has his Dad in a facility with folks trained to deal with Alzheimer's cases. He felt a little guilty about that, but i told him if my Dad was going through that? No question. I would have managed to have my Dad there. Trying to care for them at home? Another friend lost one of his aunts three years ago, and his other one is going through it right now. Until a cure if finally found (and God, I hope it is soon), it is a tough choice to put them in a home, but it is the safer choice. Alzheimer's is unpredictable.
Yea I saw that too with my grandmother she had never cussed before at least around me but after she got bad with Alzheimer’s she would cuss like a sailor and just ramble on incoherently not making sense. It was truly sad to watch cause she wasn’t the same sweet grandma or as us grandkids called her MawMaw I had grew up with. My grandad refused to put her in a nursing home and he took care of her the best he could but I know it was real tough on him.

Just from what I have read, and followed over the years, I have a feeling the chief cause of Alzheimer's will be found to be something in the genetics. As to cases of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease I have seen and known, the vast majority have been non athletes. But as to early onset cases, I saw very few.

But as to your close relative, just as to Pat, I hope the answers and cure come in time. I think the research is getting us closer to the goal, and it is just a matter of somebody having an "aha" moment. My best thoughts for you and your family.

Unfortunately, neuro-diseases are the least understood of all diseases. I spent years early in my career doing research in that arena and all I really walked away with was frustration. While there is definitely a correlation between contact sports (FB, boxing, etc) and incidence of neuro diseases that is about as far as our understanding goes with regard to causality. While several genetic markers have been identified, many individuals with dementia do not test positive for these markers. There is some data supporting a familial genetic link for early onset AD but not much of a correlation for other types. I hope and pray that your "aha" moment comes true but I am doubtful we are anywhere close to such a revelation. I personally believe we are more likely to develop cures, or at least highly effective treatments, for most all forms of cancer before we have any significant progress towards treating dementia. Makes me very sad to say as I currently have three loved ones (mother, mother-in-law and uncle) who have this horrible disease (two with Alzheimers and one with Lewy body dimentia). We are 8 years into this journey with no end really in sight. I pray everyday that God will give them peace.

Reactions: Kristy*
I’ve been watching my Mother-in-Law deteriorate from early onset Alzheimer’s for 10+ years now. She was actually diagnosed about the same time as Pat Summitt, but unfortunately her process has been much more prolonged. It’s unbelievable how relatively little we understand as far as causation.

I have an uncle who is a retired atmospheric physicist from NASA that has been in decline for the past 10 years. Fortunately he and his wife were in a position to afford in home care as opposed to a nursing home. It’s really said to see someone who was so brilliant become so confused that they can’t even hold a conversation any more.

Oddly enough if you ask him about his projects at NASA he can still discuss them with some realities detail.

Unfortunately, neuro-diseases are the least understood of all diseases. I spent years early in my career doing research in that arena and all I really walked away with was frustration. While there is definitely a correlation between contact sports (FB, boxing, etc) and incidence of neuro diseases that is about as far as our understanding goes with regard to causality. While several genetic markers have been identified, many individuals with dementia do not test positive for these markers. There is some data supporting a familial genetic link for early onset AD but not much of a correlation for other types. I hope and pray that your "aha" moment comes true but I am doubtful we are anywhere close to such a revelation. I personally believe we are more likely to develop cures, or at least highly effective treatments, for most all forms of cancer before we have any significant progress towards treating dementia. Makes me very sad to say as I currently have three loved ones (mother, mother-in-law and uncle) who have this horrible disease (two with Alzheimers and one with Lewy body dimentia). We are 8 years into this journey with no end really in sight. I pray everyday that God will give them peace.

CTE, and perhaps Parkinson's? Yes there is evidence to indicate that. But Alzheimers? No.

Familial genetic links that we know about so far.

Check medical history. If you have been involved in research, you should be familiar with how many different researchers made discoveries. The "aha" moment comes from those who refuse to let frustration stop them. It is just a matter of getting the right guy (or gal) in there.

I have an uncle who is a retired atmospheric physicist from NASA that has been in decline for the past 10 years. Fortunately he and his wife were in a position to afford in home care as opposed to a nursing home. It’s really said to see someone who was so brilliant become so confused that they can’t even hold a conversation any more.

Oddly enough if you ask him about his projects at NASA he can still discuss them with some realities detail.

Sounds like in his case, the disease is effecting the portion of the brain that attacks the short term memory area. That is the reason Alzheimer's is unpredictable and hard to treat. It does not effect everyone the same way.

Don't think this has ever been definitively proven, but I would welcome an explanation like this since it would mean there was actually something we could do to avoid it all.

I stopped drinking sodas from aluminum cans years ago. But since Alzheimer's was discovered in 1906, and aluminum was first manufactured was in 1825, that might be about right. Bring back glass bottles, because I don't like how plastic changes the taste either.

...I just placed my wife in a facility last week. I could no longer keep her at home, though I had hired a service to stay with her while I
travel for work.

It is horrific to watch Alzheimers unfold and consume someone you love...

Don't think this has ever been definitively proven, but I would welcome an explanation like this since it would mean there was actually something we could do to avoid it all.
One of the main culprits I eliminated was aluminum from under arm deodorants and shampoo.

Concussions/high stress, seems legit, probably. However, Pat Summit was a special human, programmed to do things a certain way, that's what made her great. I'm interested to see how Saban ends up. He seems like a high stress/obsessed guy.

We don't want Saban to get Alzi's.

I want a swarm of locust to get him.

Ive heard that excessive or prolonged use of. . . Benadryl can be related to dementia. Idk if its true, i dont know where to find a published study on it. If true, that would be odd to have sort of medical warning on the package.
Great. I just took two. 😦

VN Store

Back