Pat Summitt statue at UT-Martin

onefesternation

Rarely, if ever, post in this forum, but I thought some of you might like to see this. UT-Martin is unveiling three statues during homecoming this weekend. Coach Pat Summitt, Ms. Nadine Gearin, and Ms. Bettye Giles are being honored and the unveiling will be at 10 A.M. this Saturday for anyone interested.

I was raised in Martin and proud to call it my hometown. My Mother, recently retired, was a colleague for decades of Ms. Nadine and Ms. Bettye, and I was lucky enough to grow up running around all of their offices as a kid. Ms. Nadine is no longer with us, but Ms. Bettye and Coach Summitt will be at the unveiling ceremony.

Most have probably not heard of Ms. Nadine and Ms. Bettye unless you've really looked into Coach Summitt's life history, or read her books. These two women were instrumental in Coach Summitt's early basketball life, and Ms. Bettye is mostly responsible for sending Pat Knoxville's way.

Anyway, here's a couple of related links, and I hope any of you that are in the area will stop by Saturday morning for the ceremony.

http://www.utm.edu/departments/univrel/pdfs/September24addenda.pdf

2012 women's NCAA tournament -- Tennessee Lady Vols' Pat Summitt learned hard work at early age - ESPN

The second link is just an article I found about Coach Summitt. It has some good info about her time at UT-Martin.

Reactions: 1 person
A statue for Pat should have been started after she won 1000 basketball games!

On it, it shoudl read" "Pat Summitt, the Dean of Women's basketball.":salute:

Reactions: 2 people
I was told by C. Holdsclaw earlier this summer that Pat told UT she did not want a Statue at UT. She agreed to the one at UT Martin because it is of her coaches and her.

Pat Summitt statue at UT Knoxville outside of Thompson-Boling arena needs to happen yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back