Passing along some sad news for VolNation

Milerd

Jeffery Wayne Lee, a former WR for the Vols has passed away. He would have played in the early 80's. He was living in Winston Salem area and will be buried in Maryville this week. That is all the info I have been able to come up with. I don't recall him but at the time he played we did not have all the boards and social media we have today. Do any of the older guys here have any more info on Mr. Lee?

Last edited:
Jeffery Wayne Lee, a former WR for the Vols has passed away. He would have played in the early 80's. He was living in Winston Salem area and will be buried in Maryville this week. That is all the info I have been able to come up with. I don't recall him but at the time he played we did not have all the boards and social media we have today. Do any of the loder buys here have any more info on Mr. Lee?
RIP. What is that?

I don't recall him but at the time he played we did not have all the boards and social media we have today. Do any of the older guys here have any more info on Mr. Lee?

I don't remember him, but he would have been behind such players as Anthony Hancock, Willie Gault, Mike Miller, Darryal Wilson, Clyde Duncan, and Tim McGee. I'd say he didn't get much, if any, game playing time.

But he's was still a VFL. God bless him.

I've known Jeff since about the 8th or 9th grade and he was one of the kindest, gentlest guys I've ever known. He played football at Lanier High School in Maryville and walked on at UT and joined the Army Rangers after college. He was an excellent athlete and the dude always had a smile on his face. I was shocked when I first heard the news of his passing from a heart attack. Not sure if he had an unknown heart condition or what but if there was ever anyone that I would've considered to be in excellent health, it was Jeff. At some point in the past he had lost a young son as well but I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding his son's passing.

I've known Jeff since about the 8th or 9th grade and he was one of the kindest, gentlest guys I've ever known. He played football at Lanier High School in Maryville and walked on at UT and joined the Army Rangers after college. He was an excellent athlete and the dude always had a smile on his face. I was shocked when I first heard the news of his passing from a heart attack. Not sure if he had an unknown heart condition or what but if there was ever anyone that I would've considered to be in excellent health, it was Jeff. At some point in the past he had lost a young son as well but I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding his son's passing.

Thanks for this great post.

He was 17 years older than me but I grew up living right beside him and his parents (my Dad and his Mother still live at same places) and knew him well. When I was growing up, 5-12 years old, he was always playing with us younger kids and playing guitar and singing for us. He always treated us young neighborhood kids very well. He was one of the friendliest guys you could meet. When we would come home on leave he would spend a lot of his time outside playing with us kids. I haven't seen him in several years but see his parents quiet often, when I go visit my dad. His father passed away last year and he lost a son in the last few years too I believe. Prayers for his family, he was definitely one of the good guys and will be missed by those around him.

Jeff was 5 or 6 years older than me. I grew up in a neighborhood next to Jeff's and actually went to school with his younger sister Janet. The kind words everyone posted earlier are the absolute truth. Jeff was the All American Guy next door. I remember Jeff being extremely nice, always happy and one heck of an athlete. He was very humble and treated everyone he knew with respect. One thing for sure, he loved the Big Orange and his Country like no other. I was proud to know him and the world is a better place with guys like him in it. He will be missed. Prayers sent for his friends and family.

He played for Lanier when I was with Greenback. I didn't know him as well as some of the other Lanier guys who played little league baseball down here. However he was a pretty good artist. He drew a picture of one of their players crushing our QB the week we played them in 1976, and had the guts to autograph it. Weeks later, we learned that our QB had sent panties with numbers on them to three of Lanier's players, so it might have been well deserved, but that was the last year we beat them before they got consolidated.

Jeff was a good guy though.

SWAN QUARTER 7/25/1961 - 8/2/2018 Jeffrey Wayne Lee, 57, Jeffrey Wayne Lee, 57, died suddenly in Swan Quarter, NC, Thursday morning, August 2, 2018 of a heart attack. He lived in Germanton with his wife, Mary, and three of their children but was looking forward to a new school year teaching art and coaching baseball and football in Hyde County, his dream-job. Jeff was an avid runner and enjoyed adventure. He was a wide receiver at the University of Tennessee, and after college was an Army Ranger. He also worked as a newspaper reporter, editor, and sports writer. Although he valued physical and intellectual challenge, he loved God and gentleness, and modeled humility, compassion, and selflessness. He knew how to love lavishly and was a devoted father. His friends and family found pure joy in his talent for games, words, writing, music, cooking, teaching, baseball, fine art, fishing, and fun. He often made others laugh. Jeff was born July 25, 1961 in Blount County, TN to Ralph and Joyce Lee of Maryville. He was married to Mary Hughes in 1986 and was father to Georgia, Sid, Jack, and Kathryn Lee. His life was full of joy, although he knew sorrow, especially at the recent death of his son, Sid. Besides his wife and 3 children, he is survived by his mother, Joyce Lee of Maryville, TN; a brother, Mitchell Lee (Patricia) of South Carolina; a sister, Janet Alexander (Roger) of Maryville, and many nieces, nephews, and cousins. He also leaves behind grieving in-laws. A 2:00 memorial service (requiem Eucharist) will be held on Wednesday, August 8, 2018, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem with visitation immediately following. Jeff will be buried in Maryville, TN.

Lee, Jeffrey Wayne

Requiem for a Volunteer:

Last edited:
He was 17 years older than me but I grew up living right beside him and his parents (my Dad and his Mother still live at same places) and knew him well. When I was growing up, 5-12 years old, he was always playing with us younger kids and playing guitar and singing for us. He always treated us young neighborhood kids very well. He was one of the friendliest guys you could meet. When we would come home on leave he would spend a lot of his time outside playing with us kids. I haven't seen him in several years but see his parents quiet often, when I go visit my dad. His father passed away last year and he lost a son in the last few years too I believe. Prayers for his family, he was definitely one of the good guys and will be missed by those around him.

"one of the good guys"
It seems to me THE MAN always takes to good guys too soon. Wonder what he has in store for them?

VN Store

Back