Partial building collapse in Miami Beach

My question is who is she and the residents going to sue? The condo owners would just be suing themselves wouldn't they?
Condo association has insurance that'll be forking over it's max. All the missed "inspection" clues will bring in the city, county and state coffers. There's already class action suits filed and lawyers are so slimy they'll probably add the contractors who were bidding the renovations because they saw something and didn't blow a big enough whistle.

Reactions: tbh
My question is who is she and the residents going to sue? The condo owners would just be suing themselves wouldn't they?

I have no idea if/ what statute of limitations exists in Florida for this sort of situation. Normally, I'd think in cases like this they'd go after the contractor, design professional, association board, or some combo thereof but they'd probably have it tied up in each "side" hiring 3rd party experts to investigate and determine who is at fault...and activities associated with that could drag out for months or years.

I have no idea if/ what statute of limitations exists in Florida for this sort of situation. Normally, I'd think in cases like this they'd go after the contractor, design professional, association board, or some combo thereof but they'd probably have it tied up in each "side" hiring 3rd party experts to investigate and determine who is at fault...and activities associated with that could drag out for months or years.
In Georgia its 7 years for architects, but its a rolling clock from when any new work is completed. The owner nowadays is given a maintenance book. No matter how good the design, if it's not maintained it's not going to stand up.

Hard to argue it was a design/construction issue that only arose after 40 years of use.

In Georgia its 7 years for architects, but its a rolling clock from when any new work is completed. The owner nowadays is given a maintenance book. No matter how good the design, if it's not maintained it's not going to stand up.

Hard to argue it was a design/construction issue that only arose after 40 years of use.

Yep, I wasn't sure if and how much it differed from state to state. At any rate it would be hard to establish that after 40 years...but after seeing some strange maneuvering on litigation in Florida (while on the building envelope consultant side of the table), I wouldn't be surprised if some inexperienced and/or ill-intentioned attorney were to try and convince the victims they have a shot. I don't think an attorney with actual experience in construction law ( and a reputation to uphold) would touch it.

VN Store

Back