Parenting Spin-Off Thread - College Scholarships for Your Kid at a Rival School

Lawrence Wright

Troll Brother #1
The guy whose kid asked for a Tebow jersey reminded me of a friend of mine. He's a UF alum, 20+ year season ticket holder, whose son attended FSU on a music scholarship. He said he had no problem whatsoever sending him there because a) it was free and b) it doesn't change the fact that he still wants UF to pound the snot out of the Noles every year.

Granted UF's band and music program sucks compared to FSU (and UCF), but I was surprised he had no heartburn in sending his kid to Tallahassee.

Would you guys have a problem sending your kid to a rival college (Vandy, Bama, UGA or UF), even if your kid got a full ride?

Discuss.

The guy whose kid asked for a Tebow jersey reminded me of a friend of mine. He's a UF alum, 20+ year season ticket holder, whose son attended FSU on a music scholarship. He said he had no problem whatsoever sending him there because a) it was free and b) it doesn't change the fact that he still wants UF to pound the snot out of the Noles every year.

Granted UF's band and music program sucks compared to FSU (and UCF), but I was surprised he had no heartburn in sending his kid to Tallahassee.

Would you guys have a problem sending your kid to a rival college (Vandy, Bama, UGA or UF), even if your kid got a full ride?

Discuss.

Education is education, I never went to college, neither did my wife. It would be tough to swallow at first but I would encourage my daughter to go to say Florida or Alabama if she had that chance. I wouldn't even flinch but would certainly have to swallow my pride at first.

for a while my sister wanted to go to bama. My parents told her she would need a full ride or a job since they wouldn't pay for it. Pretty sure they were joking but she went to GT instead. I did have a brother that went to UF for 2 years to finish his degree since their accounting program is supposed to be very strong. He's still a UT fan so it's ok

I wouldn't mind my kids going to UF. However, it would have to be a full ride and they would be required to kick Urbie in the gonads every chance they got.

I will say that my family became big GT fans once my sis went there for school. I can't say that would have happened if she went to an SEC school. I know it wouldn't with me

No son of mine is going to Florida to end up like lawgator...practicing half-assed law, datin' trannies, and collecting obscure Pueblo pottery. I won't stand for it.

If we stay in Atlanta, there's a reasonable chance that at least one of my kids will end up deciding to go to UGA. And that would be fine, whether I end up paying for it or not. I would give them crap about it, but ultimately you have to keep things in perspective. School is important; sports are not.

for a while my sister wanted to go to bama. My parents told her she would need a full ride or a job since they wouldn't pay for it. Pretty sure they were joking but she went to GT instead. I did have a brother that went to UF for 2 years to finish his degree since their accounting program is supposed to be very strong. He's still a UT fan so it's ok
In the case of Bama, I would say this and it would not be a joke.

If we stay in Atlanta, there's a reasonable chance that at least one of my kids will end up deciding to go to UGA. And that would be fine, whether I end up paying for it or not. I would give them crap about it, but ultimately you have to keep things in perspective. School is important; sports are not.
I would just assume that, at this point, any in-state kid who can get into UGA is going to be on the HOPE scholarship. True or not?

Anyone that would let sports override education for their children has a serious problem.

A couple of years ago the Auburn educator of the year was a UT grad.

I would just assume that, at this point, any in-state kid who can get into UGA is going to be on the HOPE scholarship. True or not?

I think so right now, although my kids are still way too young for me to A) have looked into it very much, or B) be taking the HOPE scholarship for granted 15 years down the road.

Discuss.

Great question! If either of my sons could go to Louisville, IU, or Tennessee on scholarship, then hopefully, he would hold out for a better offer! :p

Seriously, I wouldn't mind that much, so long as I didn't have to put on red or orange clothes or cheer for their teams.

The High School my daughter attends recently held an open house with representatives from about 40 colleges in the Southern US. The only one we did not stop at was bama. Since she will be 17 when she starts college I will have more say over where she goes than my parents had over me. Luckily she is not considering any out of state schools.

Anyone that would let sports override education for their children has a serious problem.

A couple of years ago the Auburn educator of the year was a UT grad.

Speaking as an uncle only, and not a parent, I should be in a position to assist my nieces and nephews with their college educations if they need it but I doubt that I would do so for any of them that choose to attend Bama. Maybe I'll feel differently if the day ever comes, but I doubt it.

my father told me when i was in high school that i could go to any college i wanted to, as long as it was called "the university of tennessee".

always thought that was funny.

My parents wouldn't allow me to go to an out-of-state school unless I had a scholarship. My sister went to school in NY on a scholarship so they were okay with that. I knew I had to stay in-state and the only school I applied to was UTK and now I'm a junior and I love it. My parents always wanted me to go where I felt most comfortable. But with me being a big Vols fan I would have a hard time sending MY kids somewhere else in the SEC but I would do it because all the schools are great and education is really important. But when they hold Parents Weekend and whatnot for football games I would definitely wear neutral colors and not be too enthused. but I believe any school is a good school so yes, why not?

VN Store

Back