Pair will sit Oct. 16 instead

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Pair will sit Oct. 16 instead

Associated Press
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida linebacker Channing Crowder and free safety Jarvis Herring were suspended in July for the season opener. However, Gators coach Ron Zook said Tuesday that suspension won't cover the new season opener against Eastern Michigan, which happens to be one week before an SEC matchup with Tennessee.

The 11th-ranked Gators were supposed to open against Middle Tennessee at home last Saturday, but that game was moved to Oct. 16 when Hurricane Frances blew through the state over the weekend.

After practice Tuesday, Zook argued the suspensions only applied to the Middle Tennessee game, not the season opener. The duo are still suspended for the Oct. 16 game.

"They are going to play," Zook said. "Obviously they'll miss the Middle Tennessee game. It's not their fault there was a hurricane."

By playing Saturday, Crowder and Herring will get a game of experience before the Gators travel to No. 14 Tennessee on Sept. 18 in a pivotal Southeastern Conference East matchup. Otherwise, their most recent action before taking the field at Neyland Stadium would have been the Outback Bowl last Jan. 1.

"They were going to practice this week regardless," Zook said. "They had to be in the flow of the game and what's going on."

Crowder and Herring were suspended over the summer for one game after getting involved in a downtown Gainesville dispute. Crowder pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct, while Herring accepted deferred prosecution

That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. And to be fair, I think Banks should still serve his suspension for the first 3 games next year. :bs:

Originally posted by Volstorm@Sep 8, 2004 2:09 AM
That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard.  And to be fair, I think Banks should still serve his suspension for the first 3 games next year.  :bs:

Kind of right up there with Reggie Cobb gaining 275 yards against Auburn and then right after the game being suspended for a positive pot test :dlol: I look for Foley to change Zook's mind ---> Foley suspended them in the first place, so if they play, they play. Won't matter one way or the other.

Zook said. "Obviously they'll miss the Middle Tennessee game. It's not their fault there was a hurricane."

I just never realized that Zook was such a liberal :blink:

I always wondered why Reggie Cobb looked like he was floating when he ran. :eek:lol:

In the scheme of things, I don't think it's all that big a deal, but I can't imagine the AD letting this stand. The logic behind this is definitely a little warped.

Originally posted by TNGator@Sep 8, 2004 5:00 AM
Kind of right up there with Reggie Cobb gaining 275 yards against Auburn and then right after the game being suspended for a positive pot test :dlol:

Reggie Cobb rushed for 225 yards on 22 carries versus Auburn. There was a nice write-up about the game in SI. However, he also played against Georgia the next weekend where he rushed for 106 yards on 20 carries. I'm not sure when he was suspended, but it was not until after the Georgia game.

Coach Zook the Disciplinarian.. :clap:

True Florida Class!!! :clap:

What do expect from a no class gatorhead, Spurrier want-to-be.

VN Store

Back