OWH's Topic That Will Never Die XXIII

morning, looking to recover from frustrating day that began with trip to cardiologist so gastroenterologist could get clearance for rear admiral to schedule procedure. The adventure ended with dismissal from ER around midnight

Reactions: VolNExile
Good Lord, what happened?
I suffered a stroke affecting both hemispheres of my cerebellum in July 2019, and it went undiagnosed until my second day in a Tuscaloosa hospital (a story within itself) and as result was put on eliquis and had device implanted to monitor my heart remotely for any signs of A-Fib.

Yesterday, we went to cardiologist to get clearance for gastroenterologist (AKA the rear admiral) to do his thing. My BP was high, and told nurse practitoner that I had been exhibiting signs that i exhibited prior to stroke. I never saw cardiologist and was told to walk to ER with note ordering admission. That was around 230 and about 45 minutes later had vital signs taken. Called back much later, being told that it would be a while before exam room would be open. After 7, room opened, with a message board saying this patient had mental issue (cant remembet the three words that were used. Blood work and urinalysis and sent for MRI and later chest X-ray. Two nurses were unable to find a vein before a third got sample that took an eternity. A little after 1130 got word that the barrage of tests showed there was no need to admit, with only order being to make appointment with GP. Oddly BP was not taken and the bandages for blood work and stent came off, leaving blood on the tracks as we left ER.

Have appointment tomorrow with GP.
BTW, no one has ever figured out what caused stroke of 2019. I assume DCH ER cleaned up trail of blood

accompanied my father on a 10-15 day Holland America cruise to help him cross the Panama Canal. He was regular cruisier after mom died and the canal was only destination he hadn't crossed off his bucket list. Other stops included Aruba, Half Moon Bay, Curaçao and Costa Rica, and I was tekpted to jump ship to make Curaçao a home for a year two. He often traveled with Volunteer Tours, with is favorite destination being Alaska.

Last edited:
I suffered a stroke affecting both hemispheres of my cerebellum in July 2019, and it went undiagnosed until my second day in a Tuscaloosa hospital (a story within itself) and as result was put on eliquis and had device implanted to monitor my heart remotely for any signs of A-Fib.

Yesterday, we went to cardiologist to get clearance for gastroenterologist (AKA the rear admiral) to do his thing. My BP was high, and told nurse practitoner that I had been exhibiting signs that i exhibited prior to stroke. I never saw cardiologist and was told to walk to ER with note ordering admission. That was around 230 and about 45 minutes later had vital signs taken. Called back much later, being told that it would be a while before exam room would be open. After 7, room opened, with a message board saying this patient had mental issue (cant remembet the three words that were used. Blood work and urinalysis and sent for MRI and later chest X-ray. Two nurses were unable to find a vein before a third got sample that took an eternity. A little after 1130 got word that the barrage of tests showed there was no need to admit, with only order being to make appointment with GP. Oddly BP was not taken and the bandages for blood work and stent came off, leaving blood on the tracks as we left ER.

BTW, no one has ever figured out what caused stroke of 2019. I assume DCH ER cleaned up trail of blood
Wow. Someone with fairly recent stroke and elevated BP having to wait + hours to be seen. That is AWFUL. Just in case, you might want to see if there’s another ER with a fast-track for possible stroke.

I’m glad it all worked out ok though.

And thanks for explaining rear admiral. I figured that was where you were going but wasn’t sure. lol

the ER in Northport (near me) w owned dch (tuscaloosa,) and my cardiologist has offices in DCH (AKA Don;t come here).
Bham better options, particularly UAB and Andrews Sports Medicine, which uses ER at neighoring hospital, are top-notch.

One good reason to buy home or condo in STL

accompanied my father on a 10-15 day Holland America cruise to help him cross the Panama Canal. He was regular cruisier after mom died and the canal was only destination he hadn't crossed off his bucket list. Other stops included Aruba, Half Moon Bay, Curaçao and Costa Rica, and I was tekpted to jump ship to make Curaçao a home for a year two. He often traveled with Volunteer Tours, with is favorite destination being Alaska.
FB_IMG_1620863503094.jpg

Does not sound like fun.

Reactions: ArdentVol
the ER in Northport (near me) w owned dch (tuscaloosa,) and my cardiologist has offices in DCH (AKA Don;t come here).
Bham better options, particularly UAB and Andrews Sports Medicine, which uses ER at neighoring hospital, are top-notch.

You need to get out of bama.

We've got a plant in St. Louis. I've enjoyed the few times I’ve been.

I'd say Salt and Smoke is the good reason.

mornng.
off to PC physician ...

noticed that discharge papers from ER didnt mention elevated BP, read AMSX3 (ams for altered mental state) and frequent urination (wrong I) Had prostate cancer surgery 5 years ago) and only complained that I,ve found myself rushing to get to the restroom the past few months. BP was never taken prior to ER release. Elevated BP was reason cardiologists' offices sent me to ER

mornng.
off to PC physician ...

noticed that discharge papers from ER didnt mention elevated BP, read AMSX3 (ams for altered mental state) and frequent urination (wrong I) Had prostate cancer surgery 5 years ago) and only complained that I,ve found myself rushing to get to the restroom the past few months. BP was never taken prior to ER release. Elevated BP was reason cardiologists' offices sent me to ER
Wow. They were really on the ball.

mornng.
off to PC physician ...

Almost as if another patient’s presenting complaint wound up on your chart. I can’t even dream up another way that this could have happened. HBP (high BP) doesn’t look like AMS, even in the worst handwriting.

AMS and increased urination are possible signs of a UTI. And they completely lost track of the elevated blood pressure.

Reactions: vollygirl
Almost as if another patient’s presenting complaint wound up on your chart. I can’t even dream up another way that this could have happened. HBP (high BP) doesn’t look like AMS, even in the worst handwriting.

AMS and increased urination are possible signs of a UTI. And they completely lost track of the elevated blood pressure.
It's literally the only thing that makes sense.

absoutely!!!!!
some good news: bp bottom line was 80 down 20 but more often than not its around 70f
more details later tonight when i'm not so busy/

thank you guys

Just get better soon, friend....Ardently!

thank you, friend

ill be watching the little piggies' game down by the river tonightand may avoid posting until the win's in. Have been feeling somewhat "jinxie" about timing of posts, as well as being clutzier than usual on the key pad. If I hadn't had the stroke two years ago, I still couldn't keep with the baseball thread posters.

GBO and cheers to those that love following the beauty and surprise the diamond brings

VN Store

Back