Overtime Elite will make NCAA basketball obsolete

There are like a dozen players on contract and they are playing prep schools and overseas teams. This will have very little impact on NCAAB.

Reactions: tbwhhs
NBA G league can now sign kids out of high school. The G league does not have the same contract restrictions as the parent NBA teams and is set up to be a minor league system.
Elite minimum contract is $100,000. They will also pay up to $100,000 toward college.
Minimum G league contract is $125,000.
An excellent player now has options if they are not interested or have the aptitude for college.
Sounds ok to me.

I wish the NFL had similar options.

I hate that. Smokies Stadium is easy in and out and a nice park.

If a downtown park is such a sure fire moneymaker Randy should build it himself.
This seems like the 4th or 5th this has been looked into, suggested, etc. what makes this attempt any different?

This seems like the 4th or 5th this has been looked into, suggested, etc. what makes this attempt any different?
The big one is urban revitalization. It’s impossible to deny the influx or retail and residential activity in and around our downtown.

I will say, the area they are proposing is one of the most blighted areas. While I don’t support tax dollars I also understand the area they are taking on is going to benefit the city who had done nothing but let it fall into decay.

The big one is urban revitalization. It’s impossible to deny the influx or retail and residential activity in and around our downtown.

I will say, the area they are proposing is one of the most blighted areas. While I don’t support tax dollars I also understand the area they are taking on is going to benefit the city who had done nothing but let it fall into decay.
I get the why they’re looking into it. But that’s been the underlying reason for most if not all the other flirtations since they first left Knoxville in the first place.

It’s also not necessarily proven to bring money around the stadium. Minor league baseball is still largely a family/localized thing and people go to the game, and then simply go home. Especially on weeknights

I get the why they’re looking into it. But that’s been the underlying reason for most if not all the other flirtations since they first left Knoxville in the first place.
Except now, downtown property is highly desirable and viable. Knoxville could put in some provisions that make it a win win.

I think I read somewhere that the NBA is going to opt out of their age restriction rule for draftees after the 2022-2023 season so this league will dissolve before it even gets a chance to do anything. These elite players will be getting drafted and the lower ranked kids that don’t get drafted would rather have exposure of March Madness and being kings on campus.

it will give a chance for more kids to play basketball beyond their high school years IMO. Great for the kids that can get paid & the fans can watch what they want.....pros & amateurs

Ironically, doesn't NIL make college more attractive for some athletes than going pro?

I've got to imagine that some of these big-time players at Kentucky, UNC, and maybe even here, can make some bank now. Not NBA type money, but probably more than a development league.

Ironically, doesn't NIL make college more attractive for some athletes than going pro?

I've got to imagine that some of these big-time players at Kentucky, UNC, and maybe even here, can make some bank now. Not NBA type money, but probably more than a development league.
I would think for the mid tier guys it does. Maybe gets a few more to stick around another year instead of declaring early.

College basketball players now average 10 points a game, & think they are 1st rounders, I remember the days players didn't hardly get drafted that averaged less than 20 with no 3 point line

Reactions: Pappy

VN Store

Back