Outcoached Almost: 2 Issues

WiseOlVol

1. Gotta spy the IU QB. Hoosiers couldn't believe our LBs were backing up.

2. Short passes were open all game. We didn't discover this till we were out of the game.

Pretty sure you missed offensive playcalling that for 54 minutes was..... offensive. Deep outs when JG cannot throw deep with high accuracy (nor mid and sometimes even short). Defense held IU to like 70 yards in the first half. They had a few breakdowns but they were not in the top 10 of issues tonight other than for offsides penalties.

2. Short passes were open all game. We didn't discover this till we were out of the game.
You would b the greatest DC in the world if you could come up with a way to bring pressure by blitzing, spy the QB, and guard short routes in the middle of the field.

We did spy him he just outran our LBs. When they’re spreading out 5 wide, you still have to cover. Most of their QB runs were because they were broken plays, not by design.

JG would actually have to know where to go and throw on time to make the short passing game work. He was erratic all night and made just enough plays to win. Both his picks were inexplicably bad decisions. The busted screen? You have take the sack. The throw into triple coverage trying to force it to JJ? Everyone in the stadium knew where he was going with it. EVERYONE. How does he not see JJ is triple covered?

I know this is moot because we won but those are freshman mistakes made by a 4th year junior. If Bailey is even just competent, you start him next year.

3. We should have used our speed on the edges more. They were focused on stopping the interior runs and going after QB. More plays on the edge would have forced them to spread out their coverage more.

Our D played well and only gave up 16 pts. The other 7 were on JG. Give IU credit for scheming well in 2nd half.
Secondary was phenomenal. Overall, yes they were fine but to go from 40 yards to what they did in the 2nd shouldn't have happened. Had they had a FG kicker they'd have went to OT and Indy likely won.
I'm just getting used to shut down D from Pruitt in the 2nd half haha

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

you watched the game I listened..still think you are wrong..but hey..im not the wise one.

cant be out coached if you win..just my 2

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Secondary was phenomenal. Overall, yes they were fine but to go from 40 yards to what they did in the 2nd shouldn't have happened. Had they had a FG kicker they'd have went to OT and Indy likely won.
I'm just getting used to shut down D from Pruitt in the 2nd half haha
Yeah our pathetic offense in 2nd half didn’t help either

VN Store

Back