Other coaches view Pruitt as lifelong DC

That’s simply not true, he was a great dc at Georgia and fsu. He may develop into a great head if we give him time, but I have no explanation for why he won’t bench Guarantano.

He already had talent at these locations and simply implemented the "Alabama" way. He didn't build the defenses, he didn't innovate, or create his own system. He showed up, utilized the players that were there, grouched them into doing it how Saban does it. You people need to quit thinking that he is some up and coming innovative defensive genius. If he was, he wouldn't have taken 10 years to move up due to attrition at Alabama.

Looking back at the search, wonder if Pruitt was a panic hire, much like Butch Jones was in Handsome Dave Hart's football coaching search? Hart was told no very loudly and Charlie Strong changed his mind such that Hart panicked and panicked again on Donnie Tyndall. Fulmer came in under the auspices of being able to start fixing Tennessee football, but he may have been surprised to see how few division one head coaches really wanted to come work for him, so he panicked, signed a deal, may regret it by Christmas time this year.
I don't think either Butch or Pruitt was a panic hire. Dooley was a panic hire.

Dooley was such a truly awful candidate, much worse than Butch or Pruitt, because of the timing of Kiffin's exit. The coaching carousel had already gone around that year and all the candidates who we would have otherwise talked to had made their moves. The play there was to make someone (Chaney or Kippy Brown probably) interim HC and have all year to conduct a proper coaching search, but Hammy panicked and wanted to have a new HC immediately to preserve Kiffin's recruiting class. Dooley, or someone with his resume/pedigree, should have gotten nowhere near this job.

He already had talent at these locations and simply implemented the "Alabama" way. He didn't build the defenses, he didn't innovate, or create his own system. He showed up, utilized the players that were there, grouched them into doing it how Saban does it. You people need to quit thinking that he is some up and coming innovative defensive genius. If he was, he wouldn't have taken 10 years to move up due to attrition at Alabama.

You are absolutely right. Pruitt has never built a defense. He has been blessed with great talent, that was there when he started, and worked under good head coaches. What would he have done at other schools with less talent? Probably the same as he is doing at ut.

Reactions: 08Vol
I did not mind seeing CJP named as head coach. I was more supportive when I saw who he had hired as assistants. Meanwhile most of those SEC type assistants are gone, in place are a bunch of no names, one of which was a DL coach mid season was fired by Pruitt himself. His teams in year 3 are not up to playing decent caliber SEC football. It was a great chance to take if you wanted an up and coming type hire. It is now obviously a failure in year 3. The sooner the plug is pulled on CJP the better off the Vol football program will be. Whether that is this year, next year, whenever, the sooner the better, the writing is on the wall.

Reactions: Doberman
I believe JP being back depends on how the team performs against FLA and A&M if the trend we see continues and we are bad and lose by 20 plus points he will be let go. The Money you save by waiting to next year is not enough keeping him. plus a big booster can give that one years worth of money. Rather our university will sign off on Freeze or we go after Chadwell or Finkle with the Talent returning and with Bailey and Salter who will in time be big time QB in College yes several coaches will look at this job as a quick turn around. IN CHRIST Alone.

You are absolutely right. Pruitt has never built a defense. He has been blessed with great talent, that was there when he started, and worked under good head coaches. What would he have done at other schools with less talent? Probably the same as he is doing at ut.

That's a bit harder to say, he would only be responsible for being a DC, which he may be good at, but not great. There are a lot of good coordinators that aren't creative, or innovative. You don't have to have an innovative head coach, as long as he makes sure he has those as his coordinators. You don't need those to be innovative either, if your head coach is, at least one side of the ball. You can't have an entire staff of bland implementers. It becomes stagnant and dead.

Look at LSU, big O isn't a creative guy, and yet he was successful last year. This year, they look stale and predictable. What's the difference? Brady. Tennessee has no one on the staff that's edgy. We have an entire staff of vanilla.

Ugh, more garbage clickbait from A to Z Sports Nashville, the trashiest Vols sports media outlet. Not a single fact in the entire article. They claim 'rival coaches view him as lifelong DC', but cite not a single rival coach, not even anonymously.

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. A to Z Nashville is just making s#$@ up. They are blindly throwing darts. You can't trust a single thing they put out. They are like the sports media equivalent of "Grumors".

This reality is sadly lost on most lazy readers. These guys take an idea or narrative. Make up anonymous and unidentified quotes, ideas, and sources. Give it a clicky title and pump out a little article with 99% inert filler. It stimulates what fans already believe, then it gets linked and the echo chamber winds up.

As you said, there is literally NOTHING here.

I believe JP being back depends on how the team performs against FLA and A&M if the trend we see continues and we are bad and lose by 20 plus points he will be let go. The Money you save by waiting to next year is not enough keeping him. plus a big booster can give that one years worth of money. Rather our university will sign off on Freeze or we go after Chadwell or Finkle with the Talent returning and with Bailey and Salter who will in time be big time QB in College yes several coaches will look at this job as a quick turn around. IN CHRIST Alone.

The rest of the season. I am beginning to think the SEC power (and some schools) are just before throwing the hands up and the towel in and shutting down after this or next week. Don't think Bama or Fla. will be headed. So have the championship game and move on. It's not like the remaining games will be played before a full house crowd that the "towns" can make much money from.

Ugh, more garbage clickbait from A to Z Sports Nashville, the trashiest Vols sports media outlet. Not a single fact in the entire article. They claim 'rival coaches view him as lifelong DC', but cite not a single rival coach, not even anonymously.

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. A to Z Nashville is just making s#$@ up. They are blindly throwing darts. You can't trust a single thing they put out. They are like the sports media equivalent of "Grumors".

Exactly!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We'll find out what CJP is made up of in the off-season. He has to make the changes to keep up in the league as the rules and the game now heavily favor the offense over defense. I don't know if he'll put Chaney in charge of the transformation or someone else but it needs to happen.

Last season opened our eyes to and this season it's pretty much writing on the wall that you have to have a modern West Coast style spread offense to be elite in NCAA.

In addition, great defenses can only contain a great modern offense, not shut it down (see Georgia 2019-2020 vs LSU, AL, FL).

He's also going to need to find the best transfer QB and edge rushers (2) available. Bailey can use the competition.

Reactions: tnktm
It just feels like with Pruitt’s demeanor and attitude with the team, media and fanbase; he’s trying to get fired but doesn’t want to be fired ‘with cause.’ He coaches like a guy that has figured out; he’s not cut out to be a head coach and has no desire to extend this experiment out, but at the same time he still wants that buyout money.

That said, I think we are stuck with him until 2021. God knows 2020 has been a tough year for everyone! Maybe something changes between now and next season that revitalizes Pruitt and this coaching staff. That’s the best I can hope for.

Reactions: 08Vol and LittleVol
It just feels like with Pruitt’s demeanor and attitude with the team, media and fanbase; he’s trying to get fired but doesn’t want to be fired ‘with cause.’ He coaches like a guy that has figured out; he’s not cut out to be a head coach and has no desire to extend this experiment out, but at the same time he still wants that buyout money.

That said, I think we are stuck with him until 2021. God knows 2020 has been a tough year for everyone! Maybe something changes between now and next season that revitalizes Pruitt and this coaching staff. That’s the best I can hope for.
Your first paragraph is exactly right!

Dude is absolutely checked out and refuses to make any moves to try and improve the team. We won't another game under Pruitt. This year or next if he stays.

They might be making it up, but if so, they are making up the truth!

Reactions: Doberman
We'll find out what CJP is made up of in the off-season. He has to make the changes to keep up in the league as the rules and the game now heavily favor the offense over defense. I don't know if he'll put Chaney in charge of the transformation or someone else but it needs to happen.

Last season opened our eyes to and this season it's pretty much writing on the wall that you have to have a modern West Coast style spread offense to be elite in NCAA.

In addition, great defenses can only contain a great modern offense, not shut it down (see Georgia 2019-2020 vs LSU, AL, FL).

He's also going to need to find the best transfer QB and edge rushers (2) available. Bailey can use the competition.

Why do you need another off season in order to see what Pruitt is "made of"?

Coaching turnover and player development have been utterly dismal to this point, and there are no indications that his 4th off-season will yield different results.

Last edited:
I still think that Pruitt might be able to turn things around if he will simply bench JG. That doesn't mean we would immediately start winning. But it would be an encouraging sign to the fan base and to the players. For me, the most fun part of the Auburn game was the short time that HB played.

I just want Tennessee football to be fun again. Winning is fun, but so is being competitive and seeing exciting young players gain the experience they need to become great players.

I still think that Pruitt might be able to turn things around if he will simply bench JG. That doesn't mean we would immediately start winning. But it would be an encouraging sign to the fan base and to the players. For me, the most fun part of the Auburn game was the short time that HB played.

I just want Tennessee football to be fun again. Winning is fun, but so is being competitive and seeing exciting young players gain the experience they need to become great players.

How is benching JG going to help our pitiful defense?

Looking back at the search, wonder if Pruitt was a panic hire, much like Butch Jones was in Handsome Dave Hart's football coaching search? Hart was told no very loudly and Charlie Strong changed his mind such that Hart panicked and panicked again on Donnie Tyndall. Fulmer came in under the auspices of being able to start fixing Tennessee football, but he may have been surprised to see how few division one head coaches really wanted to come work for him, so he panicked, signed a deal, may regret it by Christmas time this year.

That Handsome Dave moniker always cracked me up. Maybe because all he needed was a couple of screws added to the side of his neck.

That Handsome Dave moniker always cracked me up. Maybe because all he needed was a couple of screws added to the side of his neck.

Remember him strutting around in that white warm up suit, somewhat Elvis like, i think he broke it out in Norman, for an Oklahoma game, he didn't do much for the athletic department, he wasn't hired to do much other than consolidate men's and women's athletics and get rid of a number of people Pat Summitt had put on the map, but much like Fulmer, many had no skill sets in demand by other universities and sports programs, he only got sued five or six times in that process

He wanted that job at SEC TV in Charlotte bad, but like Pruitt, way too much Alabama in the person to stray that far from home.

Remember him strutting around in that white warm up suit, somewhat Elvis like, i think he broke it out in Norman, for an Oklahoma game, he didn't do much for the athletic department, he wasn't hired to do much other than consolidate men's and women's athletics and get rid of a number of people Pat Summitt had put on the map, but much like Fulmer, many had no skill sets in demand by other universities and sports programs, he only got sued five or six times in that process

He wanted that job at SEC TV in Charlotte bad, but like Pruitt, way too much Alabama in the person to stray that far from home.

Sounds like the former Vandy AD, David Williams, may God rest his soul.

I have not heard a single legitimate argument about keeping Pruitt that didn’t solely involve money. That’s not a good enough argument to keep a guy who will continue to blow holes in an already sinking ship.

More money will be lost if we keep him. A new coach will invigorate fans to spend money. Also, The buyout will still be there this time next year. Waiting hurts more.

I have not even mentioned the fact that recruits and players will be lost to the transfer portal when they realize Pruitt won’t be here much longer.

Why do you need another off season in order to see what Pruitt is "made of"?

Coaching turnover and player development have been utterly dismal to this point, and there are no indications that his 4th off-season will yield different results.

I knew that was coming. I'm just speculating that he gets a 2020 COVID pass.

VN Store

Back