OT: can anyone identify what game this print is from?

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.
Winner!

OP: the print you have is from the 1991 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee vs Virginia. At the time Virginia had white helmets with their number on the side. Side note, Derek Dooley was a starting receiver on that team. Along with Herman Moore who ended up playing in the NFL for a long time. Tennessee was trailing 16-0 at halftime and came back to win 23-22. Very exciting game that is underrated in Vols history.
Not the 91 Sugar either, this painting must just be slapped together and random
1990_season_Sugar_Bowl2_resized.jpg

1990_season_Sugar_Bowl_resized2.jpg

1991_Sugar_Bowl_91_Tenn_YB.JPG

1990_season_Sugar_Bowl3_resized.jpg

Here’s a video from that game. As you can see, there are no numbers on the helmets.

I don't think it represents a real event. I think it is intended to represent a whole lot of Tennessee football history from the '60s through the '90s, including perhaps all the games mentioned already in this thread.

The opposing team uniform is clearly Bama. And this makes sense because, you know, Third Saturday in October--our #1 rival, particularly in that period.

But the player represented is both Hershel Walker (#34 and name on back of jersey) and some other fellow from some other team, #14. No idea who the latter would be, perhaps Testaverde. Someone the painter respected enough to include.

The Vols could be:
-- #45 -- Johnny Majors
-- #44 -- Bobby Majors
-- #54 -- Bob Johnson, or Dale Jones perhaps
-- #16 -- Peyton Manning

In short, the painter didn't sit down with a photo in front of him and recreate it. He closed his eyes, saw an event like a goal line stand, and filled in the jerseys with the #s of some players he really respected (both our guys and the opponents').

That's my guess.

Last edited:
I don't think it represents a real event. I think it is intended to represent a whole lot of Tennessee football history from the period of the 70s, 80s, and perhaps even 90s.

The opposing team uniform is clearly Bama. Because, you know, Third Saturday in October--our #1 rival, particularly in that period.

But the player represented is both Hershel Walker (#34 and name on back of jersey) and some other fellow from some other team, #14. No idea who the latter would be.

The Vols could be:
-- #44 -- Bobby Majors
-- #45 -- Johnny Majors
-- #54 -- Bob Johnson, or Dale Jones perhaps
-- #16 -- Peyton Manning, if the painting was painted that late

In short, the painter didn't sit down with a photo in front of him and recreate it. He closed his eyes, saw an event like a goal line stand, and filled in the jerseys with the #s of some players he really respected (both our guys and the opponents').

That's my guess.
I just think the artist was drunk

I keep thinking the diving player is Craig Turner who wore 44 for Bama. He had a diving TD against the Vols in 1985. Can't explain the white helmets.

Dale Jones & Volunteer defense SACK Vinnie Testaverde (one of several times). DC Ken Donahue had the perfect game plan for the arrogant Hurricanes, & the Big Orange dismantled them in the Superdome. We had an awesome time!

My avatar is the headlines the next morning from Nashville.

Reactions: feathersax
Theres a lot wrong with this picture, number 14 on the helmet but the jersey on the back appears to be 34
I think it's 14 on the jersey, but the fabric is making the 1 look like a 3. You can barely see the 1st number anyway.

If they didn't have the numbers at that time, and yeah it's not them. Although in the rest of the ways it really resembles that game.

On closer inspection, the word Tennessee written along the sidewall of the stadium would indicate the game was at Neyland. At the time they had Tennessee written on one side, and Volunteers written on the other.

About that 1990 Sugar bowl team, if you want to get jacked up for Tennessee football and remind yourself how good Tony Thompson was, watch this video. It's worth your time!

If they didn't have the numbers at that time, and yeah it's not them. Although in the rest of the ways it really resembles that game.

On closer inspection, the word Tennessee written along the sidewall of the stadium would indicate the game was at Neyland. At the time they had Tennessee written on one side, and Volunteers written on the other.

About that 1990 Sugar bowl team, if you want to get jacked up for Tennessee football and remind yourself how good Tony Thompson was, watch this video. It's worth your time!

Speaking of UVA, it would be cool to play them this year in a bowl. Can't believe it's been 30 years

1990_season_Sugar_Bowl2_resized.jpg

Not VA from 1991 Sugar. No numbers and the stripe is wrong.

From piecing together the numbers on the field for Tennessee and which years they all would be defensive players, it looks like the Tennessee players are Carl Zander, Alvin Toles, Dale Jones and Tommy Sims. As far as I can tell, 1983 was the season that Alvin Toles switched to defense. He shifted from Full Back at Coach Majors request and was hurt in 1984 against Auburn, a broken ankle that ended his season. So, the game would have been in 1983 or until the Auburn game in 1984. Unfortunately, looking at the schedules from those years, I can't find a team that matches up to the opponents uniform. I thought maybe the Florida Citrus Bowl against Maryland, but the UM uniforms don't match. That's as far as I could get.

Reactions: VolsFan6
Is it a bowl? How many teams can we think of that had only numbers on their helmets but did have names on the back. I thought Penn State but they don't wear their names. Also, looks to be a darker color like blue or black? This could be fun.

Except Sterling Hinton wore 16 for Tennessee that year so I doubt he was in on the tackle...

Edit: replying to Virginia guess for 1990 bowl game. Also Virginia's helmets were blank on the sides.

After a little digging, best guess is the Vols shown are Carl Zander (45), Dale Jones (54), Alvin Toles (44), and Tommy Sims (16). If that's the case, the only seasons where they were all on the roster were 83 and 84. Best I can tell looks like there was no number 16 in 1982 and no 45 or 44 in 1985. Seems like the early 80s from the picture.

All that leads me to believe it is from 1983 or 84 season, but trying to narrow down game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol

One of my favorite games! Tony Thompson going over the top is one of my all time favorite plays!

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol

VN Store

Back