Oregon and Taggart named in lawsuit

Orange_Vol1321

Oregon Player Sam Poutasi Sues Willie Taggart, NCAA, School for $5 Million

Oregon Ducks offensive lineman Sam Poutasi filed a $5 million negligence lawsuit against the NCAA, the University of Oregon, former Ducks head coach Willie Taggart and former Ducks strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde in relation to a January 2017 offseason workout that led to him spending a week in the hospital.

On Friday, James Crepea of The Oregonian reported Poutasi is seeking damages for "physical and emotional pain, inconvenience, loss of enjoyment of life, and diminishment of avocational abilities, in the past, present, and future" after he suffered rhabdomyolysis.

Former Ducks offensive lineman Doug Brenner filed a similar lawsuit Wednesday, seeking $11.5 million in damages from the same "strenuous" workouts.

The lawsuits allege players were not allowed to drink water during the first day of workouts and the sessions were likened to basic military training, per Crepea.

Brenner told Fox 12 Oregon his body "gave out" during the final day but added that he felt the pressure to perform because the staff was "trying to see who was going to quit."

"My pee was black. Looked like coffee. My arms were so big and swollen, I couldn't take my own shirt off," Brenner said. "I couldn't even reach my face to eat."

He added: "My body is ruined. My kidneys are damaged. My life might be shorter because of this."

Crepea provided a statement Oregon issued in response to both lawsuits:

"The well-being and safety of our students are our top priorities at the University of Oregon. We have been advised of the litigation filed [Thursday], but have not been served a copy of the complaint, at which point we will respond appropriately in the court proceedings. In light of the pending litigation, we don't have any additional comment at this time."

Taggart currently serves as head coach of the Florida State Seminoles. Oderinde is also at FSU as the team's head strength and conditioning coach.

Could FSU fire Taggart with cause at this point if this evolves ? I don't think FSU famswould be too upset if possible.

Hard to picture Taggart running hard ass practice like that

FSU was the most undisciplined team I ever seen this year and I don’t think I saw Taggart snap on anybody

He feels he is going to have a "shortness of life" over one difficult workout? Give me a break! Obviously, not a true indicator, but Willie looks like he is doped up on antidepressants during games. I may be biased, because I am a huge Taggart fan, but i would love to hear the full story. But, I definitely see Florida State using this if they have another bad season.

He feels he is going to have a "shortness of life" over one difficult workout? Give me a break! Obviously, not a true indicator, but Willie looks like he is doped up on antidepressants during games. I may be biased, because I am a huge Taggart fan, but i would love to hear the full story. But, I definitely see Florida State using this if they have another bad season.

If he was dehydrated to the point that his kidneys were damaged, as this article states. Then yeah, it could have seriously shortened his lifespan

Rhabdo can do permanent damage to your kidneys. It occurs when you have severe muscle damage, and byproducts from the breakdown enter your bloodstream and then hit your kidneys. The kidneys can’t filter out these byproducts and are damaged in the process, sometimes irreparably.

There are a lot of causes of rhabdo. One is ignorant overtraining with insufficient fluids and recovery time, as described in the lawsuit. Another is a fall with a crush injury to your muscles. This happens with someone living alone who trips and falls, maybe breaking a hip, knocking themselves out, and are “found down” a day or more later. A similar situation would be someone who passed out drunk and fell, without protecting himself (too far gone), and again laid there for a day or more. The bruised muscles leak myoglobin into the bloodstream.

Anyway, without trying to put a dollar amount on this, Poutasi and others have reason to worry about their future health.

Don't see why the NCAA is named in the lawsuit ?
Probably to get more attention and raise the dollar amount. His attorneys more than likely told him make as much noise and involve as many wealthy organizations and people. That way just to make us go away they will settle out of court with a high dollar amount.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Probably to get more attention and raise the dollar amount. His attorneys more than likely told him make as much noise and involve as many wealthy organizations and people. That way just to make us go away they will settle out of court with a high dollar amount.

I have heard of legal guidance that is basically....sue everyone so that blame can’t be transferred to the party not listed. You can settle/drop later based on proceedings. Not a lawyer, but have heard that advice given to others.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Willie Taggart shouldn't have ever gotten the FSU job or the Oregon job. He's a terrible coach
The thing is that we don't really know if he's terrible or not. He's spent only 2 years in P5 jobs at 2 different schools. He inherited a 4-8 (2-6) team and went 7-5 (4-5), and inherited a 7-6 (3-5) team and went 5-7 (3-5). The Oregon year was OK, actually pretty good for his first year give they were 4-8 the year before, and last year at FSU was pretty bad, although let's not lose sight of the fact it isn't like he inherited a lot from Jimbo.

The skepticism about him comes from the fact he's risen in the ranks so quickly without any kind of overwhelming success, not because we know for a fact he's not a good coach.

The thing is that we don't really know if he's terrible or not. He's spent only 2 years in P5 jobs at 2 different schools. He inherited a 4-8 (2-6) team and went 7-5 (4-5), and inherited a 7-6 (3-5) team and went 5-7 (3-5). The Oregon year was OK, actually pretty good for his first year give they were 4-8 the year before, and last year at FSU was pretty bad, although let's not lose sight of the fact it isn't like he inherited a lot from Jimbo.

The skepticism about him comes from the fact he's risen in the ranks so quickly without any kind of overwhelming success, not because we know for a fact he's not a good coach.
He is the Cuonzo Martin of College Football, he leaves before he's exposed and fired

That's true but I feel like he hasnt done anything to deserve them
I agree that he hasn't, but in the case of Cuonzo he was staying long enough for it to be revealed he wasn't a great coach, then left for a job that arguably wasn't as good as the one he left. Taggart doesn't stay for very long, but when he leaves it is for a better job. The thing about Taggart is that there might be a chance he's actually a pretty good coach; I just don't know because he doesn't have a long enough track record. One thing is for sure is that we'll know either way assuming he stays at FSU.

I have heard of legal guidance that is basically....sue everyone so that blame can’t be transferred to the party not listed. You can settle/drop later based on proceedings. Not a lawyer, but have heard that advice given to others.
I'm not a lawyer but that advice actually makes a lot of sense.

The Marines version is “Kill ‘em all and let God sort them out.” A far more drastic approach.

VN Store

Back