Orange & White Spring Game - Canceled 2022

I understand that playing an "Orange & White" game isn't practical. But not making the video of the scrimmage available to us fans is really disrespectful. Most of us can't be on campus to see the scrimmage on 2 big screens!!!!! Really???? Can't believe White and Heupel would treat us this way. What is wrong with making the scrimmage video available on YouTube or as a video on the athletics website???? For me, the fun of the O&W game/ scrimmage is seeing the new players, seeing how everything stands after spring practice (depth wise), and watching everyone perform. The fact it's not being played in Neyland is irrelevant. I sure hope they rethink this event and how it's shown.

Secretly ship the team off to Australia to conduct a three-day scrimmage over a one-week period. Video to show the results at early evening drive-in movie style, except people sit in bleachers and on the grass at various selected local high schools around Knoxville and at the UT grassy areas on a well announced day. Well announced day? Yes, one where great care is taken to make sure no inclement weather is due, on a Friday and/or Saturday. Give time for food booths to set up in preparation, or encourage folks to bring their own food. Gives position coaches, a chance to pre-recruit local talent. Make sure to have a police presence, as you almost always have nitwits who would spoil the fun for others.

NAW!!! Don't mind me, my head never was screwed on right, I just have the crazy rabbitis bacterium or something. But the team would get a kick out of the trip down under if nothing else, I'd wager.

1646772991753.png

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I understand that playing an "Orange & White" game isn't practical. But not making the video of the scrimmage available to us fans is really disrespectful. Most of us can't be on campus to see the scrimmage on 2 big screens!!!!! Really???? Can't believe White and Heupel would treat us this way. What is wrong with making the scrimmage video available on YouTube or as a video on the athletics website???? For me, the fun of the O&W game/ scrimmage is seeing the new players, seeing how everything stands after spring practice (depth wise), and watching everyone perform. The fact it's not being played in Neyland is irrelevant. I sure hope they rethink this event and how it's shown.
Might the broadcast rights belong to the SEC network as part of the TV deal preventing anything but a limited on campus broadcast?

I would have enjoyed a two hour documentary on the 2022 Vols, expectations, getting to meet and greet the Vols, video of the Neyland construction, etc. I am good with a VOL Weekend and looking for a reason to come up for some baseball so there is that. From what I read there is more to this than baseball series. Hope we can get some follow up on this topic and also bring back the Fan Packs! I'll pay for one if it has the fold out schedule, roster, etc. So, it is what it is. Go Vols! Hoping for another exciting and competitive season.

My main gripe is being under 100k seating.now we can have average attendance.. not possible to have crazy numbers anymore

If it helps those crazy numbers were all made up. There aren't 100K seats in Neyland. Never were. The 102,455 figure is a sold-out "atmosphere" which includes everyone in and around the stadium basically. Fans, players, coaches, cheerleaders, concessions, ushers, ticket takers, custodial, EMT's, police, etc.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
If it helps those crazy numbers were all made up. There aren't 100K seats in Neyland. Never were. The 102,455 figure is a sold-out "atmosphere" which includes everyone in and around the stadium basically. Fans, players, coaches, cheerleaders, concessions, ushers, ticket takers, custodial, EMT's, police, etc.
Yeah no, that doesn’t help

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
It was a matter of time. HD tv, cheaper food and drinks at bars or home. People have been trending towards not attending college athletic events in person anymore.

I think it isn't all about the costs these days, just as much a factor is the conduct of people becoming increasingly worse. Fans never were all saints and no sinners, but the wanton and increasing widespread discard of basic courtesy has infected the whole nation. And it contaminates all levels of the social strata. So common is this reality is that it even gets inserted into comic books, TV shows, and movies. All of which have a history of mirroring contemporary social attitudes, events, and behaviors. Little wonder more people opt to stay at home, since technology encourages that as well. It's a darn shame to be losing the special experience of sports arena attendance. It's not just the joy of being there, I also think it was once one of the greatest stress relievers ever. A mass psychological session for wont of a better term. And just when we probably need it the most.

Last edited:
On the article I read this morning, CJH is saying there will be several big screen TV broadcasting the 9AM scrimmage and some other video of Vols. Wish the powers at be could put something of this on SECN for those of us who can't/won't drive to Knoxville for the non-spring game.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol

And, accordingly, I hope that Danny White and the Athletics Department can figure out a way to make the misleading capacity figure 100,098 or something over 100k. The number obviously means a lot to many Tennessee fans, all of whom have endured a less-than-stellar 1.5 decades, so if it takes pretending that removing 4,000 "seats" is offset by some crazy SRO stuff with the party deck/myriad additional vendors and fan safety personnel then by all means make it happen.

Reactions: Boca Vol
What I will miss most is the analyzing on here after a slow white WR had a huge O&W game and how:

1. Great the coaching staff has done an incredible job.

2. He was a diamond in the rough.

3. The impact of that performance will have on the actual season.

4. The impact of the performance will have on opposing coaching staffs.

5. If a slow white WR can improve that much imagine what the staff can do with ________ when he gets on campus.

What I won’t miss: Joe Milton throwing the ball to Pennsylvania when there is a WR running wide open.

What I won’t miss: Joe Milton throwing the ball to Pennsylvania when there is a WR running wide open.

Despite all the B-29 mockery bombing raids on Joe, any comment on how he remains with the team, is a team player, and supportive teammate when lesser people would have sulked, whined, and probably quit by now? Any comment at all? He literally celebrates the success of his teammates, whether at practice or during the game. But this never gets mentioned. I'm as peeved at his over throwing, lack of soft touch passing, and running out of bounds as anyone. But I feel no need to await the slightest opportunity to kick and stomp the man just because he fell. I do hope, the Heup has him ready to blow up whatever team he plays against if Hooker goes down. He's a Vol after all, and I'm glad he's not an emotionally wrecked wimp. We've had such before, Joe ain't one of them.

I think it isn't all about the costs these days, just as much a factor is the conduct of people becoming increasingly worse. Fans never were all saints and no sinners, but the wanton and increasing widespread discard of basic courtesy has infected the whole nation. And it contaminates all levels of the social strata. So common is this reality is that it even gets inserted into comic books, TV shows, and movies. All of which have a history of mirroring contemporary social attitudes, events, and behaviors. Little wonder more people opt to stay at home, since technology encourages that as well. It's a darn shame to be losing the special experience of sports arena attendance. It's not just the joy of being there, I also think it was once one of the greatest stress relievers ever. A mass psychological session for wont of a better term. And just when we probably need it the most.

IMO it's always been there. Difference everybody is a reporter with their iPhone.
It is instantly sent out to FB & then shared and then the piling on happens.
Where old times a reporter would post about it in the Knox News Sentinel the next day and very few people read it and no way to share except maybe at the water fountain.

Making your seat even smaller. Just a money grab to recover their Covid Era financial losses.

Heupel needs to be fired for this, I will be looking in to starting a petition if you would like to sign.

How many times did Coach Majors cancel the Orange and White game? Zero.

IMO it's always been there. Difference everybody is a reporter with their iPhone.
It is instantly sent out to FB & then shared and then the piling on happens.
Where old times a reporter would post about it in the Knox News Sentinel the next day and very few people read it and no way to share except maybe at the water fountain.

In more ways than one, you're right about it always having been there. But the overt exhibition of random hostility is what's different. That plus the liberally accepted gun-packing is just compounding things. I dare say we haven't yet seen the worst to come. But it's coming. More people probably sense this, so it's further reason to stay home. Though sometimes even that doesn't guarantee anything, it just reduces your chances of exposure to the insanity.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back