Option for cable cutters and football season...

I have AT&T Now (formerly DirecTV Now). I got in very early on, so got grandfathered in on their biggest package. It was originally $35/mo and is now $50 (retail $75/mo). I also pay $5 for HBO. I am happy with it, EXCEPT not having NFL Network.

I tried Sling and PS VUE the last two weeks and like both of them, which have NFL Network. However both are more expensive for what I get with AT&T. I guess I’ll stick with what I’ve got for now.

It’s just frustrating because streaming was a cheaper alternative to cable, but not so much so anymore
Sadly, It's pretty inevitable that the whole market moves toward streaming and the price goes up. And True a la carte channels is probably a pipe dream. Too much money in packaging channels into pricing tiers.

Reactions: Jeepkuntry
For $50 a month, you can get YouTubeTV which has all of the sports channels (ESPNs, all Fox Sports Channels, SEC, ACC, Big10), MLB, NBA, Tennis, Golf, Olympics and live streams local channels like CBS, ABC, and NBC. Unlimited DVR, no contract.

I looked into Sling and using a digital antennae for local stations and had Hulu Live for a bit too, but I couldn’t ignore YouTube TVs live stream for all of the local channels. Never going back.

Did you have a contract to get out of with Direct TV? How did you do that if the contract wasn't up?

Ehh.....not all the time.

Yes they are, movies and TV up to 4k and while Sportsdevil sucks beyond belief, the Deceit addon has been pretty solid for sports, all 720 or 1080p content.... when the links are working. Your post would have been accurate 3 years ago.

Yes they are, movies and TV up to 4k and while Sportsdevil sucks beyond belief, the Deceit addon has been pretty solid for sports, all 720 or 1080p content.... when the links are working. Your post would have been accurate 3 years ago.
I have kodi now, it's pretty slow and most of the time the newer movies have crappy streams till about 6 months after they come out

I had Sling and it absolutely SUCKED and ruined my Roku TV. Would make the thing reboot in the middle of the game. After this month is up, I'll be going back to YouTube TV. It's better anyways.

side load Kodi to xbox, fire stick, or computer...add Genesis, Popcorn Time, and Phoenix plus Sports Devil and you have absolutely everything to watch for free :)
Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software

I've heard of several people getting in trouble for using Kodi because your ISP can track your activity. So they know if you are streaming movies online for free etc etc (pirating)

For all the cable cutters out there who will need to watch Vols football, SlingTV is $20 a month, $5 extra for sports package which gives you SEC Network. You can get it by the month, no contract. It's a basic cable package that streams over internet: PC, Mac, smart phone, roku, fire, etc...

They have a special now where they'll give you a free fire [edit: Roku, not fire] stick if you prepay for three months.

I am not affiliated or connected with them at all. Just a long time cable cutter and recent Sling customer.

Watch TV Online with Roku | Sling TV

Sorry if this is spam, but figured it may cut down on all of the last minute 'where can I stream?' threads.
I've been using Playstation Vue for a couple of years but the past month it started buffering like crazy and it became unwatchable. I switched to YouTube TV and it's outstanding. And it's only 54.99 a month total.

I've been using Playstation Vue for a couple of years but the past month it started buffering like crazy and it became unwatchable. I switched to YouTube TV and it's outstanding. And it's only 54.99 a month total.
I've since switched to YoutubeTv as well.

Reactions: BDP!
I've currently got PS Vue's second tier package (~$55/month or so) streaming on mostly Amazon Fire TV variants and have been mostly happy with it (my LG Smart TV doesn't have a PS Vue app available). It has all the local stations in my area (Maryland/DC region), SEC Network, all the ESPN's, and if I ever want to punish myself the ACC and Big10 networks too.

I occasionally run into mild performance/stuttering issues despite having gigabit internet and using the 5 ghz band, but the channel selection is great. I'm going to give Youtube TV a try once it's available on the Amazon Fire devices just to see how much of those issues are service related as opposed to something with my setup.

I have kodi now, it's pretty slow and most of the time the newer movies have crappy streams till about 6 months after they come out

Its free, what are you whining about? Its not slow, you're using the wrong addons or choosing the wrong providers. Works like a champ in Windows. And this...."newer movies have crappy streams...." Then get off your butt and go to the theater. Early releases are always going to be bad cams or DVD rips with hardcoded Korean subtitles.

I would make sure that your bandwidth will support it. We live in rural Maine, and the only cable provider around won't run a hard line out to our town. So, we're stuck with satellite internet; slow as molasses. Luckily, however, we at least have Direct TV so I can watch my Vols shock the SEC every Saturday. GBO!

Your lucky, Maine is one of our favourite states and the Maine coast is gorgeous with all the Light Houses and fishing villages
I’ve photographed most all of the Light Houses along the coast....... beautiful, just beautiful

Its free, what are you whining about? Its not slow, you're using the wrong addons or choosing the wrong providers. Works like a champ in Windows. And this...."newer movies have crappy streams...." Then get off your butt and go to the theater. Early releases are always going to be bad cams or DVD rips with hardcoded Korean subtitles.
I use it on firestick. I've got the cobalt build, is there something better? What is providers? Unfamiliar with that

I have YouTube TV and love it.

Yes, the price is $50 a month, and yes, if you believe the advertised price of the most basic cable package, it's cheaper than that, but if you're a sports fan, to get all the channels you get on YouTube TV (or pretty much any of these other services, for that matter), you'd have to subscribe to a digital cable package for upwards of $100 a month (maaaybe $70 if you're lucky and it's on a deal). SEC Network, MLB Network, Big Ten Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, FS2, ESPNU, NBA TV...you're not getting these channels for $50 a month on cable, so unless all you want is ESPN/2, FS1, NBCSN and your regional sports network, ignore the "well, if it's $50, you might as well just go back to cable" people. And all of that is if you're ignoring the fact that cable has added fees which these streaming services don't, as well as the need to sign a 2-year deal with a jacked-up price on the second year which is also not the case with these streaming services. And you shouldn't ignore either of those things.

As far as YouTube TV, the only thing I miss on it is NFL Network, but there are only three or four games a year that are exclusive to NFL Network nationally and most of them are not good matchups. Plus, as I live in my team's local market, if they were ever on one of those exclusive games, it would be broadcast over-the-air to the local market, anyway. Your mileage may vary on that, but if it does, there are several of these services that do have NFL Network and are of similar quality.

Also mildly annoying is the fact that YTTV doesn't get the SEC Network alternate channel, even though they do get the Big Ten and MLB alternate channels. Not sure what the deal is there, but any game on the SEC alternate channel is available to stream on the ESPN app for YouTube TV subscribers.

I've been happy with Hulu Live and I get most of the sports channels...it's like 44.99 a month and I've noticed I can download apps like SciGo and log in with my Hulu acct and get access to more shows...I was able to watch The Hurricane Man before it aired on TV They also give u DVR and have a pretty nice guide

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190920-191221_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190920-191221_Chrome.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 7
Do you also get NFL network?

I'll be honest, I don't remember. I actually switched back last year to cable. Got the promo offer for 2 years so I took it. By the time you pay for all the other stuff, I just found it wasn't worth it long term (if you don't care to call the cable company yearly and threaten to leave).

Sling seemed like it was getting less glitchy, then it got worse the last couple of months I had it. Nothing worse than watching a game and missing 3-5 minute chunks.

Reactions: Volanta
I find streams on Reddit for out-of-market NFL games and PPV UFC fights. I assume there are college games streaming also. It's free. Reddit is a possible option.

Reactions: Volanta

VN Store

Back