Optimism from SDS

How do I know, inference. In the last three coaching searches, UT didn't offer the kind of cash to appeal to an established coach. The overhead required to appeal to one when we have the possibility of sanctions is well beyond what UT has offered any coach in the past. Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Heupel, are all from the same market segment when it comes to coaching salaries.

Behr you choose to live in Florida, your opinion of me, and well, most matters, is null and void.
Even if they had offered "John Gruden or Nick Saban" money, no coach in that caliber was going to come here.

So, we paid for what we got. Why pay absorbent money for what we got?

Heupel had a $10 million lump sum buyout up until this season (meaning all of the 10 million was due upon leaving for another job). So I imagine that had a lot to do with it.

But since you asked:

Will UCF’s $10 million buyout be enough to keep Baylor away from Josh Heupel? | Commentary

Baylor coaching candidates: Sonny Dykes, Blake Anderson, Josh Heupel lead replacements for Matt Rhule

Some beat writers mentioned him as possible candidates for Arizona and FSU as well. But those were more spitballing suggestions.

So are you saying that Baylor actually reached out to Heupel to interview for the position? Or just that a sports writer mentioned Huepel as a possible candidate?

Daily Bears never mentioned Huepel even as a possible candidate for the job, much less one that Baylor reached out to.
Baylor Football: Coaching Candidates

Even if they had offered "John Gruden or Nick Saban" money, no coach in that caliber was going to come here.

So, we paid for what we got. Why pay absorbent money for what we got?

Who said anything about Gruden? There are quite a few coaches that command more than $4 million/year, without the threat of NCAA sanctions, much less what they would want with them.

The administration knows that they don't have to spend more than they need to for a football coach, because the SEC Network money is going to roll in, and UT fans will pack Neyland, regardless of on-the-field results.

It's a purely economical decision on their part.

So are you saying that Baylor actually reached out to Heupel to interview for the position? Or just that a sports writer mentioned Huepel as a possible candidate?

Daily Bears never mentioned Huepel even as a possible candidate for the job, much less one that Baylor reached out to.
Baylor Football: Coaching Candidates

Per the article:

"There have been rumblings that Baylor, who just lost coach Matt Rhule to the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, is interested in Heupel."

We generally don't hear the entire list of candidates interviewed. There's a lot of false information that gets released in any coaching search.

The article you linked was purely speculation, much like articles from AZ and FSU I didn't include, because they were entirely speculation.

Well, I have been on here off and on for longer than 10 years. I will say I will have to agree with the 14 month member. You ARE NEGATIVE the vast majority of the time. Everybody can be. But, you take it to the next level and then some on a regular basis. People like you are why I don't get on here much at all or interact much at all anymore, not that you or anyone cares. LOL

On here longer than 10 years huh? You keep changing your handle because your version of "optimism" is to coach worship and make inane predictions, and then create a new account to avoid the ridicule?

You do realize that there's an "ignore" feature for when you can't read a person's posts without getting your feelings hurt, right?

Who said anything about Gruden? There are quite a few coaches that command more than $4 million/year, without the threat of NCAA sanctions, much less what they would want with them.

The administration knows that they don't have to spend more than they need to for a football coach, because the SEC Network money is going to roll in, and UT fans will pack Neyland, regardless of on-the-field results.

It's a purely economical decision on their part.

Expecting them to do anything different than they have the last 10 + years seems to be your problem not most of ours.

Not any different than me expecting "this" coach to actually win some games.

We're all idiots. Lol.

Per the article:

"There have been rumblings that Baylor, who just lost coach Matt Rhule to the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, is interested in Heupel."

We generally don't hear the entire list of candidates interviewed. There's a lot of false information that gets released in any coaching search.

The article you linked was purely speculation, much like articles from AZ and FSU I didn't include, because they were entirely speculation.

You can take that as Baylor actually being interested in hiring Huepel if you choose to I guess.

Expecting them to do anything different than they have the last 10 + years seems to be your problem not most of ours.

Not any different than me expecting "this" coach to actually win some games.

We're all idiots. Lol.

Where did I say that I expected the administration to do anything differently than they have in the past?

You seem to be the one trying to make a case that they actually have done anything differently with this coaching hire.

Where did I say that I expected the administration to do anything differently than they have in the past?

You seem to be the one trying to make a case that they actually have done anything differently with this coaching hire.
Pay attention. They did. Is his HC record not better than any of the past 4 we've hired?

How do I know, inference. In the last three coaching searches, UT didn't offer the kind of cash to appeal to an established coach. The overhead required to appeal to one when we have the possibility of sanctions is well beyond what UT has offered any coach in the past. Dooley, Butch, Pruitt, and Heupel, are all from the same market segment when it comes to coaching salaries.

Behr you choose to live in Florida, your opinion of me, and well, most matters, is null and void.

We had an agreement with Leach before the board pulled it and fired Curry. He was making 4 million per year at Washington State. Seems like we had the money then.

Also:

Report: Vols pursued multiple big-name coaches before hiring Heupel

If Fickel and Franklin were seriously considered, it's pretty clear we weren't throwing out 2-3 million dollar salaries.

Won't be long til BV starts making up how I feel about CJH, telling everyone how I love me some CJH just like I loved me some Butch. I know his schtick better than he does.

You can take that as Baylor actually being interested in hiring Huepel if you choose to I guess.

As opposed to what?

We don't generally hear the exact people being considered. All we get is 3rd hand information or worse. The article literally said that there were rumors about Baylor being interested in Heupel.

Regardless, it's unlikely any school would have been willing to pay that buyout before this year. It was a $10 million lump sum. More than anything, that's likely why he wasn't considered an option anywhere else.

We had an agreement with Leach before the board pulled it and fired Curry. He was making 4 million per year at Washington State. Seems like we had the money then.

Also:

Report: Vols pursued multiple big-name coaches before hiring Heupel

If Fickel and Franklin were seriously considered, it's pretty clear we weren't throwing out 2-3 million dollar salaries.

Leach was only making $2.95 million/year at WSU in 2017, so he was actually getting paid less than we were paying Butch at the time. He negotiated a bump to $3.5 million for 2018, and $4 million for 2019 after Currie's attempt to hire him, and he only managed to get $5 million from Mississippi State. Still, a million dollar bump is a 25% pay increase for him to leave WSU.

Leach was only making $2.95 million/year at WSU in 2017, so he was actually getting paid less than we were paying Butch at the time. He negotiated a bump to $3.5 million for 2018, and $4 million for 2019 after Currie's attempt to hire him, and he only managed to get $5 million from Mississippi State. Still, a million dollar bump is a 25% pay increase for him to leave WSU.

Seems you are right on the salary in 2017.

But you don't think we'd have had to offer him a fairly significant raise from his 2.95 million? He isn't going to leave just because we're TN. You're still likely looking at 3.5-4 million per year for Leach at that time.

What about Fickel and Franklin?

Regarding Mike Leach, we basically got Mike Leach Jr. with Josh Heupel. He played and tutored under Mike Leach. Interestingly, Mike Leach comes out of the Hal Mumme coaching tree.

Reactions: volsknx
Seems you are right on the salary in 2017.

But you don't think we'd have had to offer him a fairly significant raise from his 2.95 million? He isn't going to leave just because we're TN. You're still likely looking at 3.5-4 million per year for Leach at that time.

What about Fickel and Franklin?

Leach would have most likely come here for ~$4 million in 2018, it would have been a 30% raise for him and a chance to get into the SEC. Leach doesn't have an agent to drive up his salary, and he's a bit of an oddball, and regardless of what success he's had at WSU, he wasn't in demand as a coach.

Fickell or Franklin being targets of UT during the coaching search or, in general? I think Fickell has it made at Cincinnati, and isn't leaving for anything less than whatever job is at the top of his list, whether that is an NFL position or Ohio State after Ryan Day. Franklin is at his college coaching job of choice, and he's not leaving until he thinks they might fire him for not beating OSU enough, unless someone parks a Brinx truck up to his house and just keeps pouring money out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Trace Armstrong had Jimmy Sexton float $8-$10 million/year to UT as a starting point for getting Franklin to come here, but given our past coaching hires, I doubt that it was ever seriously entertained. There's just no economic incentive for the administration to pay that much for any coach.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go and quote the forums for you, the search function works. There are plenty of posts on here talking up 9-3 seasons already. There's been plenty of people trying to use the Fiesta Bowl loss to LSU as a sure sign that Heupel is going to return us to glory. There haven been more than a few predictions of him being a top SEC coach in a couple of years.

All of this before he's coached a down of football at UT.
9-3 huh?

Reactions: onthehill71

What part of "All of this before he's coached a down of football at UT" is hard for you to comprehend?
Except you insinuated in several posts that he was a mediocre coach that no one wanted and whose offense was only good against bad teams and who didn’t really understand QB development or recruiting well. Which of course in your usual negavols way was completely wrong and as usual the better UT does in a season the less you post.
Heupel is one of the winningest coaches in the country as we stated before and continues to have a dominant Offense.

VN Store

Back